Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dogs in cafes

(227 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sun 14-Apr-19 11:00:41

I am having a Sunday morning coffee in a very pleasant cafe....people quietly reading the Sunday papers. A lady comes in with two small dogs which yap loudly and screeching. The waitress looks despairingly and approaches the owner but clearly there seems to be no official line about dogs in cafes and the yapping continues to destroy the peaceful morning. Nearby is another smart and trendy cafe with closely spaced tables. I went there last week for lunch. Soon a huge dog is sitting next to me, its nose almost resting on my table. The owner is either amused or unaware.
AIBU to find this unacceptable.

beamac Fri 03-May-19 09:43:41

I hate having dogs around in eating places and can't understand why it is not banned. One restaurant owner had her dog sitting on a chair which was going to be used by customers and was very angry with me when I pointed out that he might be leaving dog-hairs or even traces of faeces behind. Gave me the V sign when I left!

KatyK Fri 03-May-19 11:26:51

There are some people who take their dog into our local pub and let it wander around from table to table while people are eating. They just shout over 'he won't hurt you'. Annoying, irritating and irresponsible. Another lot assuming we all like dogs. We don't. The pub staff don't say anything either.

Blondiescot Fri 03-May-19 18:13:09

Beamac, what would you do about assistance dogs then? God, reading this thread just confirms why I like animals more than people - and why I never trust anyone who doesn't like animals.

Anja Fri 03-May-19 18:39:19

Blondi I so agree.

Moocow Fri 03-May-19 19:12:20

Oh the recent Observations I could share!
It's not the dogs or children that concern me as much as their minders.

SirChenjin Fri 03-May-19 20:24:14

I’m undecided. A country pub with dogs snoozing at their owners feet - no problem at all, it’s lovely to see. Urban cafes with dogs barking or being allowed to go up to other tables - no. Our local garden centre now allows them - we were there at the weekend and one (large) dog was barking loudly in the cafe and 2 others decided to fight in the gift bit while their owners fought to get them away from each other. The noise from both was amplified in a enclosed area - not nice.

Noisy kids are annoying too.

Witzend Sat 04-May-19 14:19:31

I'm in Stockholm at the moment, and have already visited several cafes where dogs - big ones, little ones - are evidently welcomed.
Evidently very different from what Grandtante (sp?) reports to be the case in Denmark.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-May-19 14:54:26

How about dogs in airports? Read this morning that dogs are being introduced in airports to de-stress and calm.

They seem to have their uses.

Sara65 Sat 04-May-19 15:17:27

I don’t think it’s a matter of liking/disliking dogs, in a cafe at the weekend, a dog (unnoticed at first) came over and licked my hand! I looked down at the dog and said hello! Not the Dogs fault, just been friendly I suppose, but I really didn’t want to be licked by a dog, and I really think owners should at least try and control their animals

Sara65 Sat 04-May-19 15:19:15

Feel in fairness, that i should add that it was an outdoor eating area, but still unpleasant

Dinahmo Sun 05-May-19 12:05:20

Blondiescot - I'm inclined to agree with you. Many years ago the art critic Brian Sewell was dining in Langan's Brasserie with his Great Dane sitting on a chair at his table. A nearby diner complained to Peter Langan and was asked to leave. By all accounts, Langan was an eccentric.

Greyduster Sun 05-May-19 12:42:57

Last week we had dinner in the dining area of a large hotel. We managed to get the last table, but the dog belonging to the diners at the adjacent table had taken up residence under it. I asked politely if they would move him, and said “Oh don’t worry he won’t hurt you!” I said that he would if I accidentally trod on him because I had nowhere to put my feet! They dragged him away and then sat shuffling about trying to find somewhere to put their feet!

Witzend Sun 05-May-19 18:20:52

Blondiescot, I feel the same.

dinks13 Sun 05-May-19 18:36:11

Absolutely agree with you Blondiescot.

Tedber Sun 05-May-19 18:40:33

Me too Blondiescot - totally agree smile

KatyK Mon 06-May-19 13:57:17

Well I don't like dogs and I am a nice person and very trustworthy, even if I say so myself. We had another episode yesterday when a large Alsatian jumped up at my DH while we were out walking. It's frightening. The owner thought it was hilarious that DH wasn't very pleased. He said 'he won't go for you mate' whatever that means.

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 14:01:28

How about dogs in airports? Read this morning that dogs are being introduced in airports to de-stress and calm.

I've met dogs in airports and they have not de-stressed or calmed me at all - on the contrary, they were search dogs who seemed to find something very interesting about my handbags or the contents!

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 14:03:34

why I never trust anyone who doesn't like animals.
What a daft statement.
As a two year old, DGD was knocked flat on her back by an over-enthusiastic and very large out of control dog. She has been nervous ever since.

I'd rather trust my DGD than some dogs.
I owned dogs for many years.

KatyK Mon 06-May-19 14:09:25

I like animals. I just don't like/trust dogs. I don't like the attitude of some people that you're not a nice person if you don't like them. In other words, if you don't like what I like, you are not nice.

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 14:14:10

I did like my own dogs (well, loved them). I do like DDs' dogs, DN's dogs, lots of dogs.
I don't like the yappy little JR which lives near us.

Am I to be trusted?

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 14:14:59

nor do I like crocodiles.
shock

lemongrove Mon 06-May-19 14:24:38

Just because you ( whoever you are) have never seen a dog eating from it’s owners leftovers on his plate doesn’t mean it never happens, I have never seen anyone being stabbed!
I have seen the above behavior with dog owners, and more than once.Also the large dog that comes and sits drooling by your plate of food, owner uncaring.
I really like dogs btw but some have no control.
Not the dog’s fault I realise, but the dog owners.Many people place their dogs under the table, or next to their own table and tell them to lie down.Some owners don’t.
Out for lunch with friends a while back, their two dogs lay down obediently and were no trouble at all.

Blondiescot Mon 06-May-19 19:24:44

I don't think it's daft at all. I can understand some people being nervous around animals if they've had a bad experience in the past, but it's just a gut feeling I have that if person doesn't like animals, they're not "my" kind of person. And if an animal doesn't like or trust a person, that's a red flag for me too...

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 19:27:16

I have never seen anyone being stabbed!
I once rescued someone who had been hit on the head with a hammer.
That vision will never leave me.

Each to their own Blondiescot
But I will never cuddle a croc just to prove your point.

jura2 Mon 06-May-19 19:31:54

Little Emma has really made the day for lots of people in the UK this week, in cafés and restaurants - she just lies at our feet, in her bed if we are by car- and is as good as gold. Many people who like dogs but for whatever reason cannot have one- came and asked if they could stroke her- and the joy on their face was lovely to see.

One lady came from the other side of the plant nursery Café in her wheelchair - an old man with walking difficulties kept looking at her and smiling- so I asked if he wanted me to bring her over- and his face lit up and he so enjoyed it. I always keep a bit for her- wrap it up in serviette and go out of the building to give it to her - would never dream of giving it to her inside, and for sure not on a plate used for customers. Again- good owners with well behaved dogs get the blame for the bad ones.