Gransnet forums

AIBU

ROAD RAGE

(44 Posts)
SalsaQueen Wed 08-May-19 21:32:43

I'd been to a garden centre with my son today, and as I drove out carefully (it's 60mph country lane with no road markings), some moron drove along very fast behind me, gesturing and shouting that I wasn't moving quickly enough. I certainly don't drive slowly, ever......but it's a sharp turn out of the garden centre, and it was raining. The bloke didn't have to brake or anything, so I don't know what his problem was

He drove behind me for 1/2 a mile, and when I had to stop at some temporary lights, he got out of his car, came up to my window, banged on it, ranting and raving.... he hadn't banked on my son being 6ft 2 and 15st!! My son shouted "Get back in your car and drove on!" The shock of my son (he's got a very loud and deep voice) shouting back at him clearly concerned him, and he sloped off back to his vehicle.

It all made me wonder, though - why do some people get into a rage about nothing? and what makes them so confrontational to a 5ft 1in, 60yr old woman?

EllanVannin Thu 09-May-19 12:00:45

It now appears to be the British way of life sad

Urmstongran Thu 09-May-19 12:22:01

I thought you were male too SirChenjin!

‘searching gin’ - very witty! It took me a while though.... duh!
?

As regards road rage I think it’s more prevalent. Nasty pieces of work out there these days. I think it’s drugs (recreational). Makes you scared to confront any antisocial behaviour.

SirChenjin Thu 09-May-19 12:29:09

Urm - it's not, it's Search Engine grin

Searching Gin works too though smile

Orangutan Thu 09-May-19 21:34:32

I drive a Nissan Micra and it's like waving a red tag at a bull!! To many ignorant drivers a Micra driver equals "silly, senile old lady". I can't count the amount of times I've been honked at for no reason, overtaken and undertaken at speed, rude gestures, etc. A lot of this road rage borders on ageism. Well, just wait till I win the lottery and buy myself a top of the range porche - that will show them ?

FlexibleFriend Thu 09-May-19 22:08:28

My ex Husband had road rage and it had nothing to do with drugs. He was a nightmare passenger, I think that was so that I'd let him drive all the time. Not only would he yell at other drivers, he'd also yell at me accusing me of cutting people up when I'd not changed lane. He'd lean across and honk the horn and on one occasion yanked on the steering wheel nearly causing me to punch his lights out. If driving he'd cut people up, get up way too close behind them and try to intimidate them. I put it down to angry little man syndrome. I started observing him more closely and most of the time when talking to anyone he'd have clenched fists. It's very wearing to live with someone like that, hence he's an ex.

Callistemon Thu 09-May-19 22:47:43

Sirchenjin
Ah!
I have been muttering it too, trying to work it out grin and thought it was Chinese

We had to cross lanes at a peculiar junction yesterday, DD signalled and the van behind let us in. I waved to say thank you and he gave us the middle finger as he zoomed past.
hmm

BradfordLass72 Fri 10-May-19 05:43:34

Yes, I wondered about drugs or drink as well.

Or he may have just lost his job, or had a row with someone or been sick, or been told someone he loved was very ill. You never know and clearly he didn't have the self-control to keep it to himself.

In the days when I was driving, something similar happened to me and, like you, I'd done nothing wrong at all.

My son was in the car and he very slowly unfolded his 6ft 7 in frame (he was not only a weight-lifter but played grid-iron for the NZ National Team as a linebacker at the time) and quietly said, 'Perhaps you'd like to discuss your problems with me rather than my mother?'

The man almost tripped over himself getting back in his car and racing away.

Ironically, his diatribe was not directed at my driving skills but my age, although I wasn't hogging the road or driving slower than the road speed.

I'm glad my son was with me but it took me a long time to stop shaking nevertheless and days to get over it.

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 06:54:19

People have absolutely no patience at all, and they seem to be on such a short fuse, that anything sends them into a rage

Tedber Fri 10-May-19 10:39:26

I, too have experienced this 'road rage' whilst doing the correct speed limit! I even had a guy furiously bleeping the horn because I dared to 'stop' at a mini roundabout to check the car to my right was indeed planning on turning left!

What I do is...delay them even longer! If they are trying to push my speed up because they can't overtake, I reduce it (oh so you don't like me sticking to 30 then how about 20?) In the case of the roundabout I sat there with my hand out the window in a kind of "what's your problem" gesture........ STEAM was virtually coming out of his ears!!!

Rude rude rude!

Mrspn19479 Fri 10-May-19 12:22:32

Yesterday, waiting in a three way temporary traffic lights system it was our turn to move green light said go, we Moved in the right direction, an elderly gentleman decided to position himself on our side of the road, why, we don't know, we couldn't go forward or back. total impasse, would he move no he wouldn't. In the end he came to remonstrate with us all he had to do was backup instead he caused a long three way traffic jam because he thought he was right. It isn't just young aggressive men it can be older generations too. He insisted we drive onto the pavement outside the school. Of course we said no, you move, he did in the end but what a performance. No bad language was used but a difficult situation was caused because a car driver wanted his own way.

Mapleleaf Fri 10-May-19 17:09:18

I think it’s because they are just rude, Ill-mannered people, EllanVannin. (I’m referring to your post yesterday at 11:55:17). Sadly, there seems to be a lot of them around.

Sussexborn Sat 11-May-19 17:36:57

There are a lot of drivers who were taught to pass their test rather than as a lifelong skill to keep them and others safe.

My cousin’s husband was quite meek and mild until he got behind the wheel. In a 2 mile journey he stopped to yell at other drivers 3 times. I was a teenager then and totally mortified.

EMMF1948 Sun 12-May-19 20:00:17

Pursed lips and a thrown kiss really gets this kind of idiot upset, I do it all the time.

Bellanonna Mon 13-May-19 09:57:22

Oh that’s worth bearing in mind EMMF1948. I might try that. It would make a change from the naughty words that I reserve for cases like that.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 13:07:43

That is an awful suggestion! It's like taking the "little woman" excuse for your driving. hmm

SirChenjin Mon 13-May-19 13:17:15

Oh it's not Gone - I do it too, it incenses the f*%kers. Sometimes I flip them the bird at the end of the kiss too, just to confuse them, at other times I give them a cheery wave. I have a whole arsenal of gestures at my disposal - never a dull moment in my car.

Willow10 Mon 13-May-19 13:51:18

Isn't it odd that when we are walking in a crowded place, we can navigate around each other without any problems. If we do accidentally bump or get in someone's way, both parties are usually quick to apologise or say 'after you'. So what happens to this common courtesy behind the wheel?confused

SirChenjin Mon 13-May-19 14:20:49

It's so true Willow!

We had an interesting example the other day as we were driving to an event. DH went to put out to pass what he thought was a line of parked cars - turned out the 2 cars in front of us were actually waiting for another car to come down the line of cars that were parked. DH realised almost immediately so reversed back and as he was doing so I held my hand up to apologise to the other driver who were were now parked alongside and mouthed sorry at him. He was incandescent - shouting and gesticulating at us.

We then carried on to the car park of the event and of course there were parking attendants instructing the cars into spaces - and of course we ended up next to that driver! None of us made eye contact and carried out into the event - having been involved in a bit of a to-do 2 minutes earlier. Such a weird situation.