Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is it me?

(93 Posts)
Atqui Fri 10-May-19 14:11:34

I’m seeking reassurance that I’m normal! If you walked into a room in the evening where your partner was just pottering ( not reading or concentrating)! and you said “ I’m going up to have a bath now”, wouldn't you expect a response such as “0k see you soon”? Mine ignored me so I repeated what I said twice. I was told ( when I asked why) that it was a statement and didn’t need a response.
Is it me?

Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 09:38:57

GrandmaKT nice trick, might try that myself!

Yes, I have one of those husbands too. He's the same with text messages - our DC often text me asking me to tell DH something because they've tried but had no response and wonder whether he's seen the text.

Yes, of course he's seen the text. He just doesn't get that he needs to reply. "It wasn't a question, he/she was just telling me something!", he protests.

And he wonders why they send me pictures of the GC, and tell me about their day, but don't send them to him <eye roll>

Poobar Sat 11-May-19 09:47:33

This happens all the time to me but my husband is very deaf now. He has hearing aids but refuses to wear them as they make his ear hot! Also won’t wear varifocles long enough to get used to them! Very frustrating for me as I am continually repeating myself and having to read labels for him when we are shopping. Needless to say I wear my varifocles and love them!

BusterTank Sat 11-May-19 09:48:00

My husband says i did answer you i nodded my head . I told him i didn't know he was noddy and had a bell on his head .

mamaa Sat 11-May-19 09:48:58

Same here; likewise with texts and voicemails! Absolute charmer to other people- ‘so helpful’, ‘kind’ they say! I used to be an SEND leader in a primary school and told him years ago I thought he was on the ASD spectrum. Very bright- and an engineer! grin

Bekstar Sat 11-May-19 09:53:20

Sounds like my other half, has a nack of igmoring what he thinks are trivial comments but gets a tad upset if we ignore his. The fact the 6 year old has taken to filling in the blanks is quite humerous at times but clearly annoying.
I walk in a room and say "I'm just gonna stick the dinner on" expecting at least an acknowledgement. Even a smile would do, if he doesnt respond the 6year old will chip in "Thats fantatsic, I'll have chicken nuggets and chips" then OH complains when I cook the nuggets n chips because clearly he didn't seem as bothered about dinner as the 6year old.
"I wonder what we could do today?" I'll say, clearly looking for some nice suggestions for a trip out, even shopping would do. But alas silence until the 6 year old chips in and decides "We are gonna go to Legoland or the Park or Soft Play". Yet he has such a nerve to complain that the 6 year old has more say than him, maybe because he doesnt listen and the child does. I get better conversation from the bairn, and definately way more compliments wven if they are just "Your nuggets are better than Dads" or "Your music sounds really old but it does have good lyrics."

loltara Sat 11-May-19 10:01:22

Men just often switch off to background talk as my very good male friend once told me. They don't feel every utterance warrants a response. It's not being rude, it's just a difference male to female. My ex-mother-in-law used to mentally exhaust me, as I responded to everything she rabbited on about. I once asked my husband how he had put up with her inane drivel over the years and he said, simple, I just carry on with what I am doing and ignore her. He says, less is always more. Dies your husband really need to know if you are going for a bath, and/or acknowledge that?

CrazyGrandma2 Sat 11-May-19 10:16:29

Glad to know this is general male behaviour and not just specific to my man! Drives me crazy!

ReadyMeals Sat 11-May-19 10:17:49

Oh mine's always been like that. He's perfectly nice and kind inside but these little social niceties seem to have passed him by. But I do tend to insist on an answer just to let me know he's heard - otherwise there is the risk he'll start running the hot water downstairs and I'll suddenly get a cold shower. He'd say "well I didn't hear you" and we'd end up arguing whether he'd heard or not.

Laurensnan Sat 11-May-19 10:20:30

Now see my husband would say 'ok' but then when I came back in the room a lot later he'd say 'where have you been?'. So he'd have answered but not listened ha,ha..

grannygranby Sat 11-May-19 10:32:31

I might tell my partner I was going to have a bath... as I walked out the room... but where do you draw the line? Do you tell partner you are going to the loo? Perhaps just say ‘I might be gone for some time’. If he gives a toss he might say why? But either way you have told him all he needs to know.

dragonfly46 Sat 11-May-19 10:41:18

When I suggest doing something my DH says ‘We can do!’. I know we can do but does he want to!

Urmstongran Sat 11-May-19 10:47:03

Before we changed the water system/boiler in our last house ReadyMeals we used to have the same problem re running the kitchen tap which affected the shower.

Whoever was going up for a shower used to put the dishcloth on top of the mixer tap in the kitchen as a reminder! Very effective.
?

GabriellaG54 Sat 11-May-19 10:52:44

Yes, it's you.
Why the need to tell someone, even your OH, of every move you make?
You told him where you'd be...and?

petunia Sat 11-May-19 10:53:43

Mine has a Phd in buggerance.

Where do I start. Or worse, how is it going to end. Probably with me, a kitchen knife dripping in blood explaining that OH didn't answer when I asked him if he had any dark washing as I was about to load the washing machine.

When you first embark on that vessel, marriage, no one tells you that 40 years down the line you could cheerfully strangle your OH as you ask him to lift his legs while you hoover (I know, I know, ive let it get to this) and he lifts them......one at a time

harrigran Sat 11-May-19 11:04:58

DH does that thing of finishing the paragraph, putting his finger on to mark the place and then looking up hmm

sarahellenwhitney Sat 11-May-19 11:05:05

In one ear out 'tuther' as my old gran would say.

FarNorth Sat 11-May-19 11:05:54

In our family, someone would announce "I'm going for a bath; anyone need a pee first?"

Rutheleanor Sat 11-May-19 11:09:14

One day I bought a comical cow outfit in a charity shop. I put it on and waited in the kitchen for his reaction. He didn’t notice!

FarNorth Sat 11-May-19 11:27:44

Tbf to readers, I often don't hear something that's said to me while I'm reading.

FarNorth Sat 11-May-19 11:28:20

Rutheleanor grin

freyja Sat 11-May-19 11:31:05

My DH has a degree in it and yes he is an engineer. Always been very wrapped up in his own world so much so he never knows what I or the rest of the family are doing, They put it down to him being deaf, who refuses to have any aids but I put it down to something else but too polite to write it down. It did upset me greatly that he was not interested in me apart from sex ofcourse.
A good example, I did some temp work when the children left home. One journey took one and half hours to the job. I did the journey twice a day for 6 months. Recently, some 20 years after the event, we visited the town where I worked and he could not believe I did the trip every day or I even worked! He still has no idea what I do all day.
It suits me as I have learnt to live with him but it took a lot of training, some 45 years. The problem I have now he is retiring he wants to know where I am and what I am doing all the time., which drives me mad. Be careful what you wish for.

Daddima Sat 11-May-19 11:44:57

I think we may be the other way around! Unlike the Bodach, I don’t really do the ‘ running commentary’ of my activity, and he’ll always ask, “ Is that you going for a bath?” or “ Are you going to bed now?”. I can answer on auto-pilot!
I’ll get, “ I’m going to make a sandwich, is that okay?”

Saggi Sat 11-May-19 11:47:21

Thanks to all of you.... I thought it was just my husband that had the ‘ignorant pig ‘ syndrome.

Hm999 Sat 11-May-19 12:02:25

'Ok' is fine or a wave of the hand or 'mmm'

Strangely after an unacrimonious breakup of a long-term relationship a couple of years ago, this was one of the things I thought about afterwards with 'did he know how much I hated being ignored, but I put up with it?'. I think now both (his behaviour and my acceptance) were symptoms we were on different wavelengths.

Daisyboots Sat 11-May-19 12:15:59

My DH is just the same and woebetide you if you say something while he about to take a shot on his snooker or golf game on his phone. Yesterday we had a visit from DS and DDiL which was lovely. Last night I said to DH its a pity that X and Y have split up after such a long time. What?What? When did that happen ? When did you find that out? Duh! Had he been listening to the chat in the afternoon instead of looking at his bleddy phone he would have found out the same time as me