Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breasts bums and muffin tops!

(110 Posts)
Namsnanny Sun 12-May-19 14:29:09

The suns out and it’s that time again!
Can’t stand to see normal men rubber necking (twisting their necks this way and that) yo get a glimpse of young girls wobbly bits, which are more than on show this time of year!
Men’s reactions aside, I just don’t like seeing so much flesh on show, no matter what age or gender!
Before anyone asks, I too was as senseless as today’s youth, and wore revealing clothing in yesteryear!!
I guess things never change really.

Lyndiloo Mon 13-May-19 01:53:08

I hate tattoos - why the young (and not so young) spoil their bodies with them is beyond me. And rings in noses, and studs in tongues! (And I don't think my views would be any different if I were young again.)

Also, I don't like seeing pregnant women in tight clothes, with all their belly-shape on view, and sometimes part of their naked belly peeking out! It just looks so common and somehow ... disrespectful ... if that makes any sense ...? Just wear something loose, and pretty!

And older men in shorts, complete with sandals with socks. Ugh!

Nansnet Mon 13-May-19 04:43:06

It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of young girls/women I see, who have really fat, unattractive, tree-trunk-like legs, and yet they still insist on wearing teeny, tiny mini dresses with hemlines up to their bum! Now, if they were like Twiggy back in the day, I could perhaps understand it. In my younger days, although I was slim, my legs weren't my best asset, and I did my best not to show too much of them, unless I was on a beach, but girls these days simply don't seem to give two hoots. I don't know whether it's because they are far more confident, or they simply don't care about what they look like. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing ...

BradfordLass72 Mon 13-May-19 05:43:39

Another pet hate is the very large bride who insists on wearing a strapless wedding dress, preferably in shiny satin. Then she has all her fat bridesmaids in the same style

Try reading that sentence and substituting "black" for the words large and fat.

Rabid, blind prejudice is alive and well wherever you look smile and I have had to live with this sort of hated all my life.

Iam64 Mon 13-May-19 07:59:33

BradfordLass72 - you make good points about comments on people's bodies. My criticism isn't about body shapes, its about the need so many British people have to strip off the minute the sun comes out. I suspect partly it must be deep in our DNA to know that we're starved of the benefits of sunshine 90% of the year. Blood tests in the north west/east of the country taken in February confirm we're short of vitamin D so maybe the stripping off is linked to magical knowledge of that.
I still feel there's something undignified and inappropriate about walking to the shops wearing next to nothing. Feel the same about going out pyjamas.

loopyloo Mon 13-May-19 09:33:04

Cashmere leggings, that sounds lovely where did you buy them?

Alexa Mon 13-May-19 10:16:56

I'm not Lesbian but I do like to see a pretty girl in a flimsy frock. Fat girls can look prettier if they wear a dress that doesn't cling to the less pretty bits.

KatyK Mon 13-May-19 11:09:30

I don't think it's hatred. Unless there are health issues, physical or mental, people can lose weight if they want to. It's up to them, maybe they don't want to and are happy which is great. Losing weight is hard but some of these women are so young. It just seems a shame.

DillytheGardener Tue 14-May-19 07:09:53

Hi Loopyloo (cute name by the way!) I bought mine from The White Company last winter in a sale. They aren’t cheap even on sale, but I really feel the cold, and this year I’ve been miserable with sciatica and don’t enjoy wearing structured trousers, so the leggings have been a godsend.
They also look gorgeous, I get so many compliments on them, I wear them with some mink pink jumpers and sweaters I got on sale so I don’t look sloppy and like I’m wearing my house clothes out!
I’m going to buy another pair when they are on sale this year and put them in a ziplock bag with moth balls so the bloody moths don’t get them next year!

Pollyanna2 Tue 14-May-19 10:16:33

Guess I just try not to be judgemental about other people's choices - and hope they won't be judgemental about mine!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 14-May-19 10:20:02

When I lived by the seaside you'd regularly see the 'grockles' strolling down the high street in flip-flops, shorts and flimsy tops. Men sometimes top-less - grey, hairy flabby chests. Enough to put you off your ice-cream!
A sign would go up in Tesco's window, "For your personal safety and comfort tops and shoes must be worn", or something like that.

Deni1 Tue 14-May-19 10:21:55

I'm shocked

blueskies Tue 14-May-19 10:25:28

How about men wearing shorts sitting opposite on the tube with their legs apart........

Lazigirl Tue 14-May-19 10:26:35

I really dislike the way we describe our bodies, or other women's. "Muffin Tops"' "Bingo Wings" for example. Why do we do it?

Purplepoppies Tue 14-May-19 10:29:01

Wow. What a lot of judgements are being made here...
This is my least favourite part of social media I must say!!

Craftycat Tue 14-May-19 10:36:14

As soon as the first ray of sun is out I wear very little but I do make sure I respectable . Once I am home in the garden or on a Greek beach then it all goes out of the window & I wear as little as is decent. Back garden is not overlooked & what happens on a Greek beach stays on a Greek beach- I'm never going to see those people again anyway.
I KNOW the sun is bad for us but I'm the daughter of a sun worshipper & that is just how I have always been myself.
Love it!! Today is looking great.

Orangedog Tue 14-May-19 10:45:08

Lyndiloo, I think when a woman is pregnant enough to have an obvious bump, she can wear whatever she feels comfortable in!

I hated my body so much growing up I starved myself to the point of being severely unwell. If people are happy enough in themselves and with their figures to wear what they like, more power to them. Women are so cruel to other women. Would any of you say this to someone you love? "You look disgusting with your muffin top out"? "You're being disrespectful showing off the shape of your pregnant bump"?
Who honestly can say they care more about how a person looks or dresses than the content of their heart?

Margs Tue 14-May-19 10:48:28

Just this morning, a young-ish woman (mid-twenties approximately) who was definitely an acolyte of the Fat Acceptance Movement (another trend from the USA) who had poured her pneumatic arse into a pair of brilliant white stretch jeggings.......attracting attention for all the wrong reasons.

Didn't she have a kind friend to point out diplomatically that maybe it wasn't a "fashion statement" she should flaunt in public?

Gilly1952 Tue 14-May-19 11:02:20

Why do so-called “red blooded males” seem to think it is ok to stare/letch at other women, especially if the women are scantly clad? My partner is like that and we have had many rows about it in the past - especially as he is so jealous and possessive about me and what I wear in the summer. We almost always fall out on holiday because of his unreasonable attitude! It’s ok for HIM to gawp at women, but he hates the thought of anyone looking at me, even though I am in my sixties! I asked him last year during a holiday to Greece if he’d prefer me to wear a burka! Then he got all stroppy with me and of course, a row began. I think us women are much more subtle - if we see an attractive man we might take a sly glance, but we don’t twist our necks round to stare - or sit with our tongues hanging out, drooling!! (Slight exaggeration but I’m sure you know what I mean). He likes me to dress in a little as possible in the garden - talk about double standards! Grrrrrr!! I am going away without him next month, so will be able to wear what I like without having to worry in case I upset him! Moan over!

Saggi Tue 14-May-19 11:07:36

Pittcity....yes they tend to just ‘flaunt’ it rather than hide the flab....maybe their attitude is better than our was/is...maybe with girls accepting their bodies, there will far less body conscious teenagers trying starve themselves to look like stick insects ...far less conforming to the media’s idea of how we should look! Dyou think?

Saggi Tue 14-May-19 11:09:01

Oh and Gilly52....word of advice ...dump your chauvinist sooner rather than later. I hate double standards and so should you!

Alexa Tue 14-May-19 11:39:01

I'd like the look of a pneumatic arse in tightly fitted white cloth if the arse were also shapely.

Alexa Tue 14-May-19 11:43:29

"How about men wearing shorts sitting opposite on the tube with their legs apart........"

I wonder why genitals are almost always covered up even genitals in good health are covered up, usually. My theory is that sexual arousal is often a social inconvenience.

Alexa Tue 14-May-19 11:47:56

BradfordLass, although it's inconvenient for me to strip off during daylight hours I know that I ought to because I am short of vitamin D. Usually I neglect this duty to get some sun about me as I am at the computer saying to myself "just one more click".

Judie Tue 14-May-19 11:50:02

Reading some of these comments it's no wonder so many people have a problem with their body image,I have a 31yr old daughter who suffers with anorexia and has done since she was 7,she only ever wore very loose baggy clothes because if comments about her size,at her worst she weighed less than 6 stone.
In the last couple of years she has had a wonderful dr and mental health team and had managed to put on weight and keep it on,she now wears what a lot if you would class as inappropriate clothes and shows some flesh,she us proud of the weight she has put on .why should she be made to feel bad about it? She also had tattoos that she shows off,these also hide the scars from self harm.
Its national mental health awareness week,stop being so judgemental and be a little kinder and more understanding .
Yes some of the clothes are not to your taste ,but what has it cost that person to get out of the house.
Be nice it costs nothing.

Annaram1 Tue 14-May-19 11:57:44

I used to call leggings worn with a short top "bird's legs." Now on fat women they might be called "elephant legs." they are all around everywhere. The worst thing is to see a fat girl in leggings clinging on to a skinny man in shorts...
Oh my days!