Gransnet forums

AIBU

Nigel Farage on Marr show

(160 Posts)
Glenfinnan Sun 12-May-19 19:56:59

What do you make of the interview? Although not agreeing with Farage I did think he had a point about the type of questions asked rather than focusing on the current situation. I think Marr was badly prepared.

GillT57 Mon 13-May-19 16:04:05

All this dissembling and denial from Brexit supporters; how can you dismiss the Marr questions about the NHS when that cursed red bus was trundling around the country promising untold amounts of funding and free hip replacements for all? How can you dismiss the questions about Norway or Canada plus when these were suggestions for solutions put forward? Or are you all so blinded by Farage that you will just vote for his company ( not a registered political party yet, I think), just to get what you think you were promised? I note that Fox ( easiest trade deals in history), Davis ( 4 hours of negotiations over 2 years) and Boris Johnson ( F**k business) are very quiet.

Caledonai14 Mon 13-May-19 16:04:53

I often wondered why so many Americans voted for Donald Trump, despite so much evidence against him. I've also been puzzled as to how he keeps that support despite all his crazy actions and tweets.

Very sadly, I now see it happening here with that man Farage who doesn't want people to remember what he actually said or believes ... just wants his moment in the sun without worrying what it will do to the ordinary people here and in 27 other countries who didn't ask us to leave and gave us a special set of "deals" historically that we will never, ever replicate, especially if our only remaining "friend" is the false one called Trump who would like nothing more than to see the EU fail and is just stringing Farage and co along.

Never more glad to be Scottish right now.

GillT57 Mon 13-May-19 16:14:49

Trump would like nothing better than GB out of EU, and so would Putin. On the basis of judging a person by the company they keep, I am seriously judging Farage on keeping company with Trump, Bannon, Banks, bloody hell, are any of you so desperate that you will vote for this cabal? That is what you will get, and even worse, we will have to see his smug face all over the place.

Nonnie Mon 13-May-19 16:19:48

Oh yes Gill57 that is just what I have been trying to get across. I really don't understand how anyone can think that whatever he stands for he is the person to vote for. It beggars belief that anyone can accept his tantrums as helpful politics.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-May-19 18:08:00

Another question Marr should have asked Farage.

His senior election official has issued a statement saying that Tommy Robinson has been persecuted and that the charge of “islamaphobia” has been made up.

A number of other BP officials have also supported racist comments made by UKIP members.

How is Farage going to explain that?

Deny?
Distance himself?

Story of his life isn’t it?

Grandad1943 Mon 13-May-19 18:14:53

Urmstongran, one of the few questions that Nigel Farage did answer in the Andrew Marr program yesterday was that he felt Britain should exit the Europe Union under WTO rules. However, due to his ranting and shouting at Andrew Marr he never stated how he would resolve the Northern Irish Border issue within that.

So, Urmstongran as a totally committed supporter of the one man Farage Brexit party (known as the Dear Leader in another part of the world), can you inform me and many others how leaving the EU under WTO conditions would not force a hard border to be installed on the Northern Irish border.

Or would the risk of restarting the war in Ireland be "a price worth paying?"

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-May-19 18:21:53

Support Farage support Tommy Robinson

MawBroonsback Mon 13-May-19 18:39:46

Some opinions on our Nige which I read this morning. What Caledonail4 says is particularly borne out

Tony Blair, former Labour Prime Minister
“Nigel Farage and the people associated with him … are not the people to drain the swamp of British politics, they’re the people that created the swamp.”

Sam Gyimah, Conservative MP
“Harnessing grievance is Farage’s only card, but we know he’s never had a solid plan for our great country … Voters are flocking to him. Time to call him out.”

Jonathan Ashworth, shadow Health secretary
“Nigel Farage doesn’t want to stand on his record, because his record is one of wanting to privatise the NHS; it’s one of big tax cuts for the very rich”
Don’t often agree with Tony Blair, but spot on.

Bridgeit Mon 13-May-19 18:44:09

Now I know one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but from what I saw on Andrew Marr’s show was to me reminiscent of another little guy with big ideas , but he sported a little moustache. Be afraid be very afraid!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-May-19 19:09:51

This

www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/brexit-party-national-election-agent-tommy-robinson

Urmstongran Mon 13-May-19 19:12:45

Honestly ladies you are whipping up a storm!

I spent over an hour on the ‘EU referendum’ thread this morning answering a raft of questions that had been put to me and I don’t wish to go over the same old ground on this thread. Too much Brexit gets in the way of enjoying life!

And Nonnie I’m sure you’d be an asset to the Leave Vote but prize as you are, I’m not going to spend any time trying to persuade you to change your vote! As you say, voting is 10 days away. I’ve already voted and I’m sure that after 3 years of discussions and links (!) and helpful comments on this site and perhaps others, you will have come to your decision too.

?

Dinahmo Mon 13-May-19 19:40:57

Urmstongran - we already know that the Brexit party is single issue and that the strategy after the EU elections is to destroy the EU. So why should NF be allowed to expound upon his ideas. He doesn't have any others that would be beneficial to the country - just to himself and his cronies.

Caledonai14 Mon 13-May-19 20:06:34

I hope we get Alyn Smith back in again. He's been a very hard working MEP both domestically and in his involvement in foreign issues facing the EU alliance. He was Scotland's youngest MEP when elected but, like Mhairi Black at Westminster, has always had a maturity and understanding well beyond his years and experience. His "leave a light on" appeal to the 27 friendly neighbours was very moving.

Urmstongran Mon 13-May-19 20:16:11

Erm... because that was why he’d been invited onto the Marr show? It’s the hot topic pre- EU voting next week?

I think the BBC did Farage a favour , he didn't lose his rag as some implied but stood up to Marr.

Surely that's what we want in our leaders. It's what May should have done with the EU leaders years ago!

Urmstongran Mon 13-May-19 20:19:51

Sorry pressed too soon.

It would have been a fair line of questioning if he was fielding candidates for the GE, but the party is for the EU elections at this stage, period.

The BBC was attempting to paint the party in a bad light, it's obvious the establishment is rattled by him.
?

Maybe Farage should have just mentioned Marr’s history too of him cheating on his wife? ONLY JOKING!!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-May-19 20:21:02

Farage wants to get rid of the NHS

Iam64 Mon 13-May-19 20:21:54

urmstongran- oh I do wish we could laugh about Farage.

Bridgeit Mon 13-May-19 20:28:37

I didn’t regard it as standing up to AM, NF doesn’t have two way conversations he just talks nonstop & or walks away.

Bridgeit Mon 13-May-19 20:29:56

I do laugh but then I cry !???

GracesGranMK3 Mon 13-May-19 21:24:50

No one "implied" anything about the Farage/Marr interview. People told you what they saw. I appreciate you don't want to see it but that doesn't change the facts Urmstongran.

Nonnie Tue 14-May-19 13:12:27

Urmston as expected no reasons for leaving. I find that very shallow. How can you have made such a decision without a reason? Incredible. I have been asking and asking for good reasons to vote leave and no one ever gives them to me. I will have no choice but to vote for a remain party because none of you have even tried to convince me.
"he didn't lose his rag"? So was it just a tantrum?

Too right Bridgeit

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-May-19 14:57:05

Look what someone on MN found

www.mumsnet.com/uploads/talk/201905/large-267415-60341478-2474732579227904-7030027093140307968-n-jpg-b303440fba13baa812a968646366a522.jpg

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 15:11:43

He will be loving all this.

There’s no such thing as bad publicity (apparently).
?

Nonnie Tue 14-May-19 17:26:37

urmston I don't think Prince Philip would agree with you, or Cliff Richard and many others.

Lily65 Tue 14-May-19 17:29:45

Iam, you forgot Widdy...