Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandsons

(32 Posts)
Googes41 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:59:30

Hello,I am new to Gransnet forgive me if this has already been discussed. I have 2 grandsons who seem to have every
Toy known and an enviable life style. I would like them to
Be aware of those less fortunate and for their birthdays this
Year I intend to sign them up for a charitable sponsorship .
Not sure DIL will approve but feel they should know that
By forgoing a quickly discarded toy they have the potential
To make a difference to a child or animal. Any advice on
A suitable cause that members have personal experience of
Would be really appreciated.
Am I doing the right thing?

Scentia Wed 05-Jun-19 07:24:09

Being aware of ‘those less fortunate ‘. does not make people care about what they are aware of.
If you feel they have too much tangible stuff, take them for a day out on their birthday instead.

harrigran Wed 05-Jun-19 09:02:43

I find that GC are expected to do things for charity through their school and various clubs so will not expect them to share their birthdays with a charity too.
I always ask DIL what the GC would like, with the teenager it is usually clothes or money.

Niobe Wed 05-Jun-19 09:20:29

My son and DiL have a lot of family and friends who have given loads of gifts and toys to our beloved GS. I have spoken to his mum and dad and agreed to buy him token gifts only plus money which his parents can spend on him as and when he needs anything else. He has loads of toys which have been loaned to him by friends whose own children have outgrown them and when he outgrows them they will be returned to the original owners.

Sara65 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:27:32

I agree Harrigan

I think children are very aware of the need to raise money for charities. They have children in need, Red Nose Day, currently some of ours are doing a sponsored run for cancer relief at school

I think birthdays are for presents and spoiling children a bit!

Bridgeit Wed 05-Jun-19 09:31:37

No, definitely don’t do it,
Open a savings account for them for the future, & treat them to a day out somewhere, perhaps an animal sanctuary or something like that, ( ice creams optional)
As the old saying goes , there is more than on way to skin a cat! ( actually I must look up the origins of this saying, its actually a bit gory if you think about it ?)

Bridgeit Wed 05-Jun-19 09:32:13

One not on!