Gransnet forums

AIBU

If you had given your grandson for Xmas...

(81 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 01-Jul-19 10:40:32

...a really nice red hooded sweatshirt, that he was really pleased with at the time, and then you happened, in June, to see on Instagram that he had spray-painted "Back Off BP" all over the front of it, would you be a little bit put out?

It had the slogan, "I just want to smell like a campfire" on the front. He loves camping. It was not a cheap hoodie.

And would you put a very mild little message, such as "Oi! I gave you that sweatshirt and look what you've done to it!" in the Instagram comments box?

Gonegirl Mon 01-Jul-19 13:01:40

Yes. Thank you petra. I sometimes forget that he's a good boy really.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jul-19 13:45:35

I think 6 months is good going ? I m sure none of my grandkids have worn the things I ve bought ( always with their approval) for that long ?
BP was always the enemy I remember protesting against them in the anti apartheid days when I marched in London

GoodMama Mon 01-Jul-19 14:31:19

I’m sorry gonegirl, I think anyone would be taken aback a bit.

But as other posters pointed out once a gift is given the receiver can do whatever they wish with it.

I would also follow other posters advice and remember this for future gifts and their expense to you.

But no, never post anything reprimanding on someone else’s social media, nothing good can come from it.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:28:48

Once I have given someone something, I try to remember that it is theirs to do what they like with.

Hard sometimes I know.

You don't say how old the grandchild is, which to my mind has something to do with it. If he is small then mentioning that you were hurt that he had spoiled a present he had seemed glad to get might teach him consideration. If he is a teenager, it's too late to teach him anything.

janeainsworth Mon 01-Jul-19 15:34:54

Apparently BP is the enemy.
Really gonegirl you should have known thatgrin It's why Sir Mark Rylance has severed ties with the RSC.hmm

pinkquartz Mon 01-Jul-19 15:35:12

spraypaint is toxic...he should use cross stitch next time!

jura2 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:40:54

At least he wears it. I'd be really upset if he'd sold it!

mcem Mon 01-Jul-19 15:47:31

Far worse if it read something like "I'm for Boris"!

Gonegirl Mon 01-Jul-19 17:07:14

grandtanteJE65 he's 17. Too late to change him. grin

Grandma70s Mon 01-Jul-19 17:17:06

I daren’t give clothes to my 7-year+old granddaughter, let alone a 17-year-old.

Be pleased he’s wearing it, and proud of him for protesting. I would be.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jul-19 17:25:27

As DH reminds me - once you have given someone something, that's it! You can't feel miffed if they trash it, give it away, lose it.

I rarely buy clothes for my DGC now - but I did buy some things today and I'm just wondering now if I did the right thing ….
grin

Callistemon Mon 01-Jul-19 17:27:18

ps I'd rather they said 'I don't like that Granny, than be polite and say thank you then never wear them.

They can even write on them if they want to

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 18:17:25

I’d be thrilled at his personality asserting itself. Good on him!!

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 00:49:08

I think I’d be surprised to see it spray-painted but pleased if it means he’s going to wear it. As others have said, try to think of it as customisation!

harrigran Tue 02-Jul-19 09:12:28

DS did a lot of artwork on his leather jackets and it looked very professional, I did not mind at all as he could see at a glance which was his jacket when we had a houseful of teenagers all dressed in black leather.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 09:16:30

Oh yes! That reminds me harrigran, I decorated a brand new Parker many years ago!

grannygranby Tue 02-Jul-19 10:34:33

Good for hm it is his future he is protesting about. It’s not as though he put anything reactionary on it. I really would be proud and let him know. Obviously not if you don’t feel it. Paradoxically it is also the case that clothes are seen as disposable nowadays. But I doubt if he will change his mind it encapsulates a load of stuff. I have been in the business of protesting about oil usage and possession for decades. We’re going to hell with shell shell shell. Yes BP back off!

seadragon Tue 02-Jul-19 10:34:39

I'm with Kitty, dragonfly46 and petra but puzzled by the mentions "..apparently I have upset him..."...and "snowflake......"

GrannyMosh Tue 02-Jul-19 10:48:08

I'd be dead proud of him, and tell him so! And buy him two more hoodies in different colours ( one black) and take him out for a meal at his favourite place. And pay his travelling costs to the next protest. Well done, that young man!

pamdixon Tue 02-Jul-19 10:50:50

I think he must love it a lot to have done that - be pleased with yourself that you gave him such a brilliant sweatshirt!!

Camelotclub Tue 02-Jul-19 10:51:39

Who is BP? Does he mean the oil company?

jaylucy Tue 02-Jul-19 11:07:56

It's his hoodie, not yours! Yes it is annoying that he has spray painted it, it may have been expensive, but you gave it to him and unless you are going to police every other item of his clothing you have given him, I'd forget all about it! Was most probably the first thing that came to hand!

Pippa22 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:11:27

Just so I understand is BP the Brexit party ? Back off seems a bit tame for a kid Fuck off BP would have mor3 clout !

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 11:14:23

I thought it meant British Petroleum?

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 11:16:03

Pippa:
www.thedrum.com/creative-works/project/don-t-panic-partners-greenpeace-spongebob-tells-bp-back-the-amazon-reef