Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think granddaughter is too old for a dummy

(169 Posts)
Tonks Fri 02-Aug-19 11:03:02

My DGD still has a dummy at almost 5. I think that she is too old for it and I'm trying to convince DD to get rid of it, but she's anxious that it'll ruin her sleep, and kick off an almighty tantrum. My DCs never had dummies so I've no experience of it myself, has anyone done this for their DCs or DGC? Surely 5 is too old to still have a dummy?

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-May-22 18:30:08

Yes, I think so. To be fair, Hithere was the first to spot that this is a zombie thread. I love that description!

Urmstongran Sat 14-May-22 18:32:42

Yes, ancient thread.
I only noticed when defunct posters were on it! ??

Kalu Sat 14-May-22 18:35:48

I on,y realised when I saw Jingles name. ?

pinkprincess Sat 14-May-22 20:39:25

Neither of my two sons had dummies much to my MIL's disgust, she thought it was not possible to bring up a baby without one she accused me of denying them something that was absolutely essential.
It was my DH who decided we were not to give them dummies, because of his mother's firm belief in them he grew up with ''wonky'' front teeth as he had one even on starting school although he soon took to putting in his pocket when he got out of her eyesight.
All of my grandchildren had them, but I could do nothing about that.

timetogo2016 Sun 15-May-22 10:19:27

Take it off her and tell her father christmas took it for a baby elf,
And he will bring it back when baby elf grows up.

Shelflife Sun 15-May-22 18:40:46

Yes , newborns may need a dummy! Having said that all babies are not the same. My first was given a dummy - Iwas reluctant to give in but it was the best thing ever - peace at last !!! My second child sucked his thumb immediately after birth and probably before! My third did' nt suck her thumb or need a dummy. 5 is a bit too old for a dummy and I would try the dummy on a bag idea, fairies take the dummy and leave a toy in exchange. Sounds good to me !

Audi10 Mon 16-May-22 16:38:54

Good post pippa 22

Witzend Mon 16-May-22 20:04:43

I was always very anti dummy until dd2 had classic 3 months’ colic - it was the only thing that seemed to give her some relief.

She didn’t give it up entirely until she was nearly 6 - though for the last few years strictly at home only - her choice.

She is long grown up and her teeth were always perfect.

Dd1, OTOH, sucked her thumb from birth until after she’d learned to drive, and her teeth were affected to some extent.

So if it had to be one or the other, I know which I’d choose.

Suze56 Fri 20-May-22 09:19:30

Grammaretto

There's a dummy/pacifier tree in Copenhagen where you hang your ex dummies and probably make a wish.
www.joshuasofaer.com/2018/02/the-pacifier-tree/

I never had them for mine but DD has used them strategically and usually just at night.

She gets them to part with them though. I haven't seen the baby with hers recently and she's almost 2.
Visions of the Simpsons
youtu.be/iQLavf8iNI8

My DGS was very attached to his soft toy dog and it "mysteriously" vanished one day. He was heartbroken for a wee while but got over it. Good luck with your DGD.

How sad that a child's soft toy had to disappear!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 21-May-22 11:45:16

This is precisely the kind of issue a wise grandparent stays out of!

Sorry, but it is not your decision, or your business, but your daughter's.

LilyoftheValley Sat 21-May-22 12:02:34

Much too old. Silly habit to start with.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-May-22 07:59:35

MissAdventure

Too old, in my opinion.
Fortunately, being a grandparent hasn't stopped this terrible habit I have of having opinions.

grin
I have opinions too MissA, not sure everyone would say "fortunately"
gringrin

Witzend Mon 23-May-22 10:34:15

Suze56, glad I’m not the only one who was appalled at the idea of anyone ‘mysteriously’ making a beloved soft toy disappear!

AussieNanna Tue 24-May-22 13:02:27

Agreed.

Why would anyone want to do that?

Philippa111 Tue 24-May-22 13:07:56

I always say about children behaviours that seem a bit out of synche... table manners, dummies, needing excess hugging etc.
'How many adults do you see behaving like that?'... they will move on and outgrow these things. But I love J52's creative solution.

Hithere Tue 24-May-22 13:31:17

You do realize is a zombie thread, right?

Hithere Tue 24-May-22 13:31:25

It is

MaggsMcG Mon 13-Jun-22 11:31:10

Zombie thread! {grin} I must read the dates on the original posts.