Gransnet forums

AIBU

We are NOT ‘you guys’

(156 Posts)
GinJeannie Wed 07-Aug-19 15:08:09

AIBU in absolutely hating being referred to as ‘you guys’? DH and myself really resent being called this. It’s bad enough when staff in shops, hotels, etc use this awful phrase but now I’ve had a text from DD using it. We are her parents, Mum and Dad, a family nickname even, all highly preferable to this. I replied with a request to please not use that phrase for us and did at least get a thumbs up emoji by return! Be interested to hear what other GN feel!

Iam64 Wed 07-Aug-19 17:37:31

I don't mind it, in fact, its something that was used by my generation and still is. I'm north west, so we're routinely called 'love'.

Our 3 year old grandson came downstairs after being put to bed when staying at our house. "Scuse me you guys but I'm trying to sleep and you're all talking loud". We managed to keep straight faces, I said sorry, we'll be quieter, come on now, back to bed. (good try I thought)

I'm mystified that Ms raises such horrors in people. In the US I was addressed routinely as Ms or Ma'am. I don't mind Madam but prefer the French Madame.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Aug-19 17:42:26

Jane10 ?

BlueBelle Wed 07-Aug-19 17:54:00

It doesn’t bother me nearly as much as ‘hun’ ‘babe’ or the awful ‘bless you’
I m afraid I use the ‘guys’ term and don’t think of it as male I just think it means people in general

SueDonim Wed 07-Aug-19 17:59:47

I don't mind 'You guys' at all, it doesn't bother me. Nor does madam bother me because I've lived in developing world countries where madam is a term of respect to older people. Though I can't think when I was last called madam in the UK.

I got called 'lass' a while back, which tickled me. grin

crazyH Wed 07-Aug-19 18:12:25

Yes, in a group situation, I have been included in the 'you guys' scenario ie 'do you guys want a drink' etc. On my own it's always Mum, Nan or by name (d.i.l.s call me by my name). But honestly, 'you guys' is ok by me.

Poppyred Wed 07-Aug-19 18:22:21

Don’t mind it all, in fact I use the phrase myself quite often. But I do object to be called Hun or babe!??

Elegran Wed 07-Aug-19 18:22:27

The other annoying salutation is the one that sometimes appears at the start of a spam post "Hey! blah blah blah . . " Do they think we need to be yelled at with a loud-hailer to get our full attention before they can speak to us?

rockgran Wed 07-Aug-19 18:51:08

I really don't mind.

lilypollen Wed 07-Aug-19 18:57:09

I'm from a north west family and once I've been called 'love' I know I'm back.

PamelaJ1 Wed 07-Aug-19 19:01:02

Lessismore, you need look no further than your name.
Just look at Sara’s post.
No need for the word guys at all. Less is better!

Lessismore Wed 07-Aug-19 19:04:27

My dad was referred to as a lad when he was well into his 80's.

grannyqueenie Wed 07-Aug-19 19:04:57

Really don’t mind it at all, especially if said with a smile. I’m much more likely to notice the tone of voice or facial expression when someone’s talking to me.

RosieLeah Wed 07-Aug-19 19:05:13

I object to being addressed by my first name by complete strangers, especially by children. Where did all this familiarity come from?

SueDonim Wed 07-Aug-19 19:22:52

Lessismore here in Scotland people often refer to men as boys. Thinking about it, I think it's mostly men who say it as in 'I took the car to the garage and the boy looked at it.' They can be any age!

Iam64 Wed 07-Aug-19 19:48:27

What do you want the children to call you RosieLeah? I remember calling neighbours Mrs X or if she was friendly with my mum, auntie X. I'm entirely happy with children calling me by my first name. Yesterday I bumped into two young women, one now 35, the other 33 who'd been regular visitors to our home from 3 - mid twenties when they started getting married, having children etc. it was so good to hear one in the car park, the other in the supermarket, call my name, run over and hug me.
If they'd grown up in the fifties as I did, rather than the 80's as they did I'd probably still be Ms X and never had developed the close relationships we did and continue to share

Lessismore Wed 07-Aug-19 19:50:53

SueD, that's charming.

Jane10 Wed 07-Aug-19 19:51:12

I felt very honoured in Bangladesh to be called 'Auntieji'.

Marydoll Wed 07-Aug-19 19:53:57

I recently spoke to a policewoman about anti social behaviour on the train I was on. She addressed me as, "Ma'am". I quite liked it! grin.

Iam64 Wed 07-Aug-19 20:03:01

Yes, Ma'am would do nicely. We British lack a word like madame. When I was working in our African and Kashmiri community, I was almost always called auntieX by adults and children alike.

SueDonim Wed 07-Aug-19 20:14:48

Two of our elderly neighbours have died this year. Despite knowing them for over twenty years and their exhortations to call them by their first names, I've never been able to think or speak of them as anything but Mrs K and Mr B. It just seemed wrong to call them anything else. blush

B9exchange Wed 07-Aug-19 20:22:39

In Kenya, all women over a certain age are addressed as 'Mama' as a sign of respect. I quite liked that!

Willow500 Wed 07-Aug-19 20:27:26

Doesn't bother me - our adult granddaughters both refer to us and their parents as you guys - better than 'The Olds' grin

GracesGranMK3 Wed 07-Aug-19 20:44:24

Yep.

RosieLeah Wed 07-Aug-19 21:02:57

Iam64, when I was a child neighbours were addressed as 'Auntie Jean' or whatever, I would prefer to be 'Mrs L'...which is what I am. Mind you, the young man who delivered my groceries the other day called me 'my lovely', which did sound nice. He was Welsh I think.

MissAdventure Wed 07-Aug-19 21:08:34

I don't mind.
As long as people are friendly and polite I don't care too much.