Gransnet forums

AIBU

Leggings!

(183 Posts)
Kupari45 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:35:55

AIBU to think that overweight ladies look absurd in leggings and short T shirts?
Just come home after shopping in local town. While waiting for the bus I couldnt help but notice how many ladies wear tight leggings and tight t shirts - some almost look naked- in fact one had pale pink leggings on and looked obscene.
Before some of you shoot me down in flames I will admit to being size 16- but I wear clothes that fit me.!
Apart from looking a mess - surely on a hot day tight polyester isnt very comfortable.
I thought leggings were supposed to be worn under "Tunic Tops"- but apparently not.
This is just an observation- but would be interested in your opinions.

annep1 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:18:29

Ruthiek ?

Witchypoo Tue 13-Aug-19 20:24:01

I do wear leggings but always with long tunic/dress tops. I have been into our local town today and the thing that kept drawing my eye were girls/young ladies wearing shorts that their bum cheeks were hanging out of as they walked along. I feel pants would cover more but they would be wearing thongs i assume. Women/girls should not have it all on display

oodles Tue 13-Aug-19 20:25:46

There is a difference between judgement and preference I think. If I wear a green dress it may be because I like the way it looks in me and the colour, it doesn't mean I judge someone wearing a yellow dress or red dungarees. Not my business. Different situations often need different clothing, people have preferences in material, I k ow my tastes have changed over the years.
Sometimes I do feel a bit just if someone is wearing something inappropriate for an occasion, but I try and tell myself nine of my business and maybe she had to flee àn abusive relationship and escaped in the clothes she was wearing and she's doing the best she can. I'm afraid I did sort if judge my then soon to be ex husband at his father's funeral as he had a big food stain down his suit jacket, but didn't say anything about it, he must have been happy with that

Lumarei Tue 13-Aug-19 21:37:55

I am with Monica, it is part of being human to look, think and compare. Every child has to learn this way in order to make sense of the world. It makes us intelligent beings.

We judge all the time. Someone with an angry face we try to avoid - whilst chatting to the lady with the kind smile.
Why would we stop judging people for their choice of how they look? As long as I keep it to myself and don’t offend anybody I can’t see where the problem is.
Our brain judges everything and those who say otherwise are not honest with themselves. It is what we do with the judgement that is important. If we hurt someone or spread rumours that is wrong.

Hetty58 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:44:50

Exactly, Lumarei, we all tend to judge. We don't say anything if we can help it, but maybe to family members (daughters) if we think they need some guidance. I'd rather be told if I looked ridiculous or was revealing too much!

Juliet27 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:53:48

I certainly wouldn’t want to look like some of the larger women who do look pretty obscene in leggings and short tops but I would love to have the confidence and self assurance that they must have.

Tedber Tue 13-Aug-19 22:13:06

Personally, I don't really care what anyone else wears. I try to dress how I think it suits me but maybe others would say they don't like what I am wearing? I guess it is all boils down to what you feel comfortable wearing for the occasion?

Obviously some people feel comfortable in tight leggings and skinny tops - no matter what their size? Doesn't upset or concern me in any way.

My one criticism was when I attended a wedding - it was an elderly relative who was marrying for the second time and a few of the younger ones wore jeans. I did think this was slightly disrespectful t.b.h. BUT...the bride and groom didn't seem to notice and I thought maybe I was just a tad out of order? Maybe we just have to live and let live and not worry about what anyone else's choice is?

sluttygran Wed 14-Aug-19 00:44:12

At 71, and in fair shape, I love the comfort of leggings. They are not trousers, however, and really do look much smarter with a longer top or dress.
I saw a rather heavily built young woman the other day, who was wearing a pair of white footless tights, very thin fabric, and NO PANTS! shock
You could see everything, and the crop top with no bra didn’t help.
She was getting plenty of attention, which may have been her aim, but it wasn’t a very attractive look.

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 08:07:54

But Tedber you must have looked at other people and made judgements to be able to decide what suits you. Not caring what other people think of you once you have made that decision is an entirely separate matter.

I am not sure anyone is upset or concerned or fat shaming or anything like that. Glancing at a person in passing, someone we do not know, will have forgotten in seconds and made no personal judgment on, and just thinking doesn't he/she, and we do it to both sexes, look really stunning in what they are wearing, or that they have made a bad mistake and are wearing something that is very unflattering, is what most of us do. It is no different from the judgments we make when we look at fashion articles and adverts when we see them, or even more when we look at catalogues, online or paper. There is another thread running at present about a pair of trousers that the OP thought were hideous and looked awful, even on the model. Isn't this exactly the same as we are discussing on this thread?

Aepgirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:08:59

Sadly, many of these leggings are cheap quality and when stretched to their max, they go almost transparent. I really think many of these people never look in a mirror to see their rear end.

sluttygran Wed 14-Aug-19 10:47:58

I agree Aepgirl.
You see some very embarrassing sights and it’s difficult not to raise an eyebrow.
Yes, I’m judgemental - we all are, it’s human nature.
What matters is that we should refrain from hurting or humiliating people by making our feelings obvious or smirking at them.
The remarks we pass on an anonymous forum are for our own amusement, even if it is a bit waspish and prurient, but it won’t hurt anyone, and we have to let our feelings out sometimes.

Alexa Wed 14-Aug-19 11:41:25

"Women/girls should not have it all on display"

Buttocks are intrinsically beautiful when the gluteal muscles are toned.

I think it's the principle of roundness that applies. Generally vehicles with large wheel are more beautiful than those with small wheels.

Jaye53 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:56:56

Agree the leggings which are transparent look awful. (White and no underwear oh dear) good quality is the answer which boils down to price.

Apricity Wed 14-Aug-19 12:28:35

Let's face it - there are leggings and leggings. Leggings or skinny jeans with a a tunic top covering the bumpy bits is a great look for women of all ages and (most!) shapes.

But, and there is a very big but (butt?) here, tight leggings with short tops and the full and detailed reveal of camel toes, often including their curly haired offspring, is just not a good look whatever the age or body shape.

Sitting on a bus, train or tram, reluctantly eyeballing a carefully, or perhaps carelessly curated crutch, I do think I'm just not that interested in putting that much pubic back into public transport.

Jacinta55 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:47:50

Ive been reading this thread with interest. I've never worn leggings, as I don't think they suit my body, and I don't particularly like 'dressing down', preferring skirts and dresses.
My daugher says that they should be worn as per tights with a long tunic to cover the bottom, but some women and girls seem to wear them as trousers revealing far too much.
I am really concerned about the falling off of standards these days, and hanker after times when 'clothes maketh the man' was applicable.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 12:50:10

I have packed two pairs for my forthcoming holiday in case the weather in France turns out to be as chilly as here. Will wear them with t-shirts plus long cotton shirt.

jillyJo Wed 14-Aug-19 15:26:21

Leggings with huge "spare tyres" - not a good sight!

Granless Wed 14-Aug-19 16:24:22

Leggings are fine as long as you wear something like a long jumper, tunic etc... It must cover your bum though. I’ve always thought that women with clothes on can look more attractive.

Evie64 Thu 15-Aug-19 02:47:56

Love my comfy good quality leggings, but wouldn't dream of wearing them with a short top. I always go for long tunics. I am too old and too fat now to be shocking people with the site of my figure thanks. All I want now is comfort and reasonably smart/casual.

JenniferEccles Fri 16-Aug-19 11:00:37

They are hideous things which flatter nobody.

I often wonder who invented them.

Dresses are so much nicer, feminine and they suit all shapes and sizes.

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:05:37

Think leggings are popular with larger ladies as they stretch so well and easy to wear but they can look sloppy if worn with short T shirt or short blouse. Think the better quality ones with a longer top look fine and a smart pair of shoes (no trainers please!) The thin ones you can see someone's knickers through them and just look tacky.

wildswan16 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:20:47

Is there still a word "ladylike" in our vocabulary. It was what my mother always used to say if she didn't like someone's dress sense - "that's not ladylike".

I have to admit I sometimes feel the same way these days. Nothing to do with wearing skirts or trousers etc. You can still be ladylike in jeans or even leggings. They just have to be ...... ladylike.

(Men also need to be "gentlemanlike", although I don't think that was ever a word!)

MissAdventure Fri 16-Aug-19 18:58:31

I think leggings look great on young women with nice bums great figures.

Tricia55 Sat 17-Aug-19 10:38:41

I've always wanted PINK leggings, I love pink, although I have bought a pair many moons ago as yet I've not work them, but I now & again look at them.
Maybe I'll get cremated in them ?
I remember a long time ago, having an eye test, the young man, commented "even her mascara is PINK!". ?
I looked at him & said, "yes, it's cool, isn't it".
He hadn't realised I'd heard him?
Sorry I rambled.
Triciax

Tricia55 Sat 17-Aug-19 10:42:04

I think a pretty longish tunic, leggings & ballerina pumps, are so comfortable & quite smart too, given the correct make-up, jewellery, etc.
Triciax