Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Lords Prayer

(178 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 13-Aug-19 07:52:15

Just a random thought, how many of you can recite the Lords Prayer? I come from a family who went to church regularly, and it was said at school, so I still can recite it. DD struggled to half way through, DGD ........... Think it’s a pity that morning assemblies are not compulsory in schools any more

Shropshirelass Mon 19-Aug-19 08:42:44

I can recite the Lords Prayer so can my children. When my daughter was small she started Sunday School and my mother decided to teach her the Lords Prayer beforehand. All went well and suddenly my daughter collapsed with giggles, why? Well when we came to the words Hallowed be thy name, my daughter thought it was Hello Ed be thy name and laughed at the funny name!

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 09:49:55

Someone upthread mentioned saying grace before meals - my parents had a friend who used to sit down at the table and say: "Thank Gawd it's come!!"

Hetty58 Tue 20-Aug-19 07:34:35

Luckygirl, that reminds me of our childhood bedtime prayer:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

followed by trying to get to sleep while hoping not to die. Brilliant parenting we had, just brilliant!

GracesGranMK3 Tue 20-Aug-19 12:55:21

The words seem to have changed over time Hetty58. I think those came from the days when it was all too easy to die young and children were probably very aware so that was intended to be comforting.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
Angels watch me through the night,
And wake me with the morning light.
Amen

Jeanlizzie Wed 28-Aug-19 09:53:16

Might raise a few eyebrows here but this is a literal translation of the original 1563 gernam prayer
I much prefer the one I learnt at school
Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name.

Your kingdom come.

Your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And do not bring us to the time of trial,

but rescue us from the evil one.

For the kingdom

and the power

and the glory are yours forever.

Amen.

Eloethan Wed 28-Aug-19 10:16:24

I know it off by heart, together with many old hymns, learned via school assemblies. I still like the poetry of both but am not religious.

watermeadow Wed 28-Aug-19 18:37:16

When I can’t sleep I sing hymns in my head. I still know dozens of them after singing a hymn every morning for 13 years at school.
One reason I rarely go to church is the modern hymns - banal, no rhyme or scanning, none of the beauty, dignity and reverence of the old ones.
Same with the modernised Lord’s Prayer. It’s like saying,
“Hi God, how ya doing? Wotcha up to? Like, sos for loadsa stuff. See ya soon, okay?”

Nannyxthree Wed 28-Aug-19 22:22:01

I too remember the Lords Prayer, some psalms, and many hymns. Now I go to the DGC 's church services and recognise very little, but I still love to hear the little ones singing 'All Things Bright and Beautiful'. Long may that last.
Two of our DGC attend a C of E church school. There are other schools nearby which are not attached to churches and yet some parents choose to send their children to the church school then complain that too much religion is taught!

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:21:13

Yes I do and I am rather sad that schools don`t do it assemblies anymore.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 10:24:10

I always get muddled up which bit comes before which bit. I think He made it really difficult. I always end up say "Sorry God". Not that I say it often these days. There was a time.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:58:07

I know it but I suspect neither of my children do and certainly not my grandchildren as all brought up in secular/ humanist households.

crazyH Sat 16-Nov-19 11:01:02

I try to say the Lord's Prayer every morning and night

suzette1613 Sat 16-Nov-19 11:05:03

I only say the traditional Lord`s Prayer. If I am at a service where a more modern version is used, I still say the version I am used to. Think the words sound much better.

Elegran Sat 16-Nov-19 11:27:59

I remember all sorts of hymn lyrics and biblical quotations, relics of a childhood going to a fairly evangelical Sunday School.

So many of them are full of encapsulated wisdom - I realise that more now than I did as a child. I have no idea whether there actually is a supreme being directing all that goes on in the universe, and the supernatural bits of Christianity pass over my head, but it is an excellent practical guide to relationships with other human beings, and understanding morals and philosophy (you do have to ignore/reject the ways some humans have mis interpreted the scriptures over the centuries, though)

eazybee Sat 16-Nov-19 11:40:48

I believe school assemblies are still compulsory, and are supposed to be religious, but they are no longer exclusively Christian, and are increasingly secular.
If you visit a school during an Ofsted inspection you will find rows of bemused pupils being told religious stories and attempting to sing unfamiliar hymns to recorded music, attended by equally unsure staff.

Alexa Sat 16-Nov-19 13:27:10

Morning assemblies are still for togetherness. But the togetherness comes from more sources than Christianity alone .

BBbevan Sat 16-Nov-19 14:01:34

Yes I can and so can DH. Regular churchgoers when younger. And of course school assembly had prayers and hymns when we were at school

EMMF1948 Mon 18-Nov-19 13:15:23

I certainly can and I likeand say 'trespasses' not the more modern version, I'm considered to be a bit of a rebel!

suzette1613 Mon 18-Nov-19 14:58:14

As far as I can remember, in Scotland we used to say `forgive us our debts` instead of `trespasses`. Don`t know if that was widespread though.

JackyB Mon 18-Nov-19 15:26:26

I have no trouble remembering the words to the Lord's Prayer. I have lived in Germany for 40 years now. We attend a Catholic Church although I am C of E, and I always say the Lord's Prayer and the Creed in English, as well as the sursum corde and all the other spoken parts.
After all, the liturgy usually says to say the prayer as the Lord taught us. Well , He taught me it in English! wink. It's only a problem when it is sung at High Mass. Note to self:I really must make an effort to learn it in German.

I went to a Catholic school and can still recite a decent Hail Mary and sing the Angelus.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 19-Nov-19 11:11:36

I can recite the Lord's Prayer in English, Latin or Danish at the drop of a hat, plus both the Apostles' and the Nicene creeds and most of the rest of the proper of the Mass.

You'll have worked out by now that I am a churchgoer!

Winniewit Wed 20-Nov-19 11:36:43

I'm 64 and I can still recite the Lords Prayer.
My little granddaughter attends a church school and they don't have assembly but a service of worship in the afternoon

lucycat Thu 28-Nov-19 10:01:23

i say the lords prayer every night

Gonegirl Thu 28-Nov-19 11:00:49

I used to but I got fed up with getting it wrong. He probably did too. hmm

DIL17 Thu 02-Jan-20 13:04:24

Schools do have assembly but the children are now from multiple faiths that if they said the Lords prayer they'd then need to do the equivalent for other religions.

My daughter goes to a church school and we attended church but I would never expect the school to teach it.

Assembly is when they learn a song, awards are handed out, notices given or guest speakers come in.

It's not a church service.