Gransnet forums

AIBU

Roll on Autumn!

(35 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 27-Aug-19 18:29:16

No, I’m not being unreasonable in hating late summer.
The grass is dead, the birds are silent, the nettles and brambles are head-high.
The house is full of flies and they lay eggs on the cat’s food if he pauses between mouthfuls. Walk through the countryside and you’ll be stung/bitten/sucked by midges/wasps/horse flies/ ticks.
Despite monthly treatment the dog’s got fleas.
It’s too hot to sleep and my ankles are swollen.
The fresh green and flowers of May are a distant memory and I can’t wait for Autumn.

M0nica Sat 31-Aug-19 17:50:04

Mossfarr, Have you never noticed the wonderful colours of the trees in Autumn, oranges, reds, yellows, so beautiful when the sun shines through them - as it so often does.

My favourite autumn task is raking-up leaves in the garden under the sun of a yellowing autumn sunshine. The leaves smell so beautiful and I end up gambolling among them like a child.

Callistemon Wed 28-Aug-19 17:35:22

We have had some sunshine here, a few days too hot for me but the weekend was a very pleasant 23 or 24C

Perhaps your weather will cheer up when the children have gone back to school (it often happens!)

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 17:31:10

Once again I am praying for one Calli . The problem is, it gets to a point where you just have to give up and accept that the Indian Summer you are praying for will only be in India !

Just a couple of weeks of sunshine would’ve been nice though .

Mossfarr Wed 28-Aug-19 17:26:48

oh NOOOOO!!! I loathe the autumn, please please let the summer last for another few months.

Autumn to me is so depressing - long damp drab days, dull mornings and its so GREY. All those soggy wet leaves making pavements slippery and hiding all that dog mess. yuk.

And the worse thing about Autumn is that it is followed by Winter - months and months of cold, rain , darkness and even more GREY!!!

I see that I am in the minority but I actually think we've had quite a good summer this year ( I am in the NW too)!

Callistemon Wed 28-Aug-19 17:17:07

An Indian summer gillybob?
However, it's lovely but over-rated imo as the days are glorious but October nights are chilly and it gets dark earlier.

Callistemon Wed 28-Aug-19 17:14:50

What heat?
It's 20C and pouring with rain here!

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 16:11:24

My outside cushions have barely seen the light of day this "summer" Willow500 never mind putting them away, I have yet to get them out !

Willow500 Wed 28-Aug-19 16:07:48

Love autumn and winter - darker nights, candles lit and cosy rooms. The hot days this week have been too much especially for my husband who suffers terribly with the heat. It's a welcome relief today that it's a bit cooler although it's now raining and we've just put the outside cushions away sad

Blinko Wed 28-Aug-19 15:21:22

My sister lived in the Bahamas for four years. She told me she missed two things, egg cups (unknown there, apparently) and the seasons...

EllanVannin Wed 28-Aug-19 15:12:07

Damp,dreary and I've got a thin jumper on here in the NW.

Asda in between showers and a bloomin' advert for summer holidays 2020. Not a happy bunny at the moment.

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 13:20:26

and its lashing down again today !

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 13:19:55

Well here in the North east we have had about 4 days of summer . They were not all in a row mind you, in case you think we were being spoilt !

Its fine for those who have been basking in wall to wall sunshine for weeks but I AM STILL WAITING FOR A SUMMER SO AUTUMN CAN GO AND SOD OFF !

MissAdventure Wed 28-Aug-19 13:16:49

Its quite normal for people to have different likes and dislikes, you know?

I couldn't care less about the grey months; I don't want to feel I'm being boiled alive for even a day.

jura2 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:12:12

exactly jane - honestly!

We had older friends who had gone to live in Southern Spain as she loved the sun. After 4 years, he got out of the lounge onto the patio, and said 'enough- I want to go back- to seasons, and rain, and snow, and green springs, and ....'. To his surprise, she actually agreed- had wanted to say it for a while, but didn't dare as it was her idea in the first place. I think I'd be the same- love all the seasons (well I didn't much like winter in England- but love it now) - just get rid of November ;)

jane1956 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:08:31

we get 10+ months grey stuff and the minute the sun comes out everybody moans really????

fizzers Tue 27-Aug-19 22:06:35

roll on winter! I detest hot summers

M0nica Tue 27-Aug-19 21:43:31

I love autumn, from the first yellowing of leaves, until the trees are leafless. I love the yellow of the Autumn sun - and we have had that since early August!

We are on holiday in Normandy - hot sun, days on the beach, long lazy evenings sitting out, but I long for it all to end, the weather to get colder and to get out my sweaters and coats.

Teacheranne Tue 27-Aug-19 21:29:22

I am also from the NW ( near Manchester) and I am still waiting for summer! OK, we've had a few hot days but nothing prolonged and we had almost a month of continuous rain and flooding.

I'd like Autumn to be a long time coming!

Ginny42 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:37:36

Please don't wish summer gone, it's only just arrived. Hasn't it been great wearing summer clothes at last? I give those flies due notice that if they continue to annoy me they will surely die. I say this is your last warning now. Stay here and you're dead. The roses have got a second lot of gorgeous blooms. The lemon roses smell of lemons and the honeysuckle against the hot sandstone wall smells of warm honey. There are hazelnuts on the trees in the wood and conkers with their glossy shells are on the ground already, so autumn isn't really that far away. You just have to hang in there. Autumn will arrive when she's good and ready.

SisterAct Tue 27-Aug-19 20:25:33

Proper seasons please. It’s not hot for long don’t wish it away. ???☃️

MawB Tue 27-Aug-19 20:15:02

I love Autumn- when we can be sure of the full three months of crisp mornings, and comfortable temperatures - and rediscovering my forgiving woolies.
But too often it seems to slide into November and Winter.
And I do like my white trousers!

MissAdventure Tue 27-Aug-19 20:03:23

Autumn or spring for me.
I do not like this heat at all.

jura2 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:02:30

only one month of the year I'd vote against - November sad
if I could, I would go away every year for dreary November!

Chewbacca Tue 27-Aug-19 19:57:11

I'm with you on this watermeadow; I'm utterly miserable and uncomfortable in the summer months. Every flying insect that bites makes straight for me and takes another chunk of my arms/neck/ankles/face. I have so many layers of midge repellant, hats and cover up clothing that I look like Sherpa Tenzing when I go out in the evenings. Can't wait for those cool, clear, bright blue skies of early autumn and a nip in the air that gives me far more energy to get on and get stuff done. Bring it on!

EllanVannin Tue 27-Aug-19 19:48:17

Autumn all year round in the NW !