Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is your house More tidy or More messy since you have been on your own.

(32 Posts)
bikergran Thu 12-Sep-19 18:18:04

When my dh was here still here(5 yrs) ago, my house was pretty tidy, nothing much out of place, hoovered every other day, washing up done straight away,washing dried put away etc etc beds straightened.

But since dh died, I cant seem to keep house tidy not have the inclination, I think my brain thinks!! well there's only me here!
why bother.

My bedrooms are a tip (oh yes they are) ;) I cant see the carpet, piles of washing(clean).

Iv'e tried forcing myself "come on mrs get sorted" but nope.
I like a tidy house but just doesn't seem to matter much any more.

I have approx 9 plastic boxes (ready to tidy stuff away) all with coloured lids , but nope! the enthusiasm doesn't arrive.

Even setting myself the task of one room at a time doesnt help.

So..............are you more tidy ?or less tidy? now your on your own.hmm

BlueSapphire Tue 17-Sep-19 21:50:23

Much tidier! DH never noticed mess and was always telling me to leave things. He always had piles of magazines around and never threw anything out and he was a great hoarder; I hardly dared touch his stuff, but I did deal with small amounts on the quiet. Plus the fact that we enjoyed each other's company and I didn't want to spend time on cleaning when we had each other. We'd rather sit in the garden or go out!

Now he's gone though I do spend more time just keeping things tidy - but not necessarily cleaning. I only have a real blitz when I know visitors are expected, which reminds me that I am hosting a coffee morning on Monday, so Sunday will be spent doing a top to bottom clean! Although I am quite fussy about my bedroom and the bathrooms, and pay attention to them.

bikergran Wed 18-Sep-19 10:04:47

>>>>>> walks off slowly with arms slung down side, to start on the kitchen>>>>>> (thats after I have finished my brew and Gnet smile

henetha Wed 18-Sep-19 11:03:23

I've never been particularly tidy, but I try harder now.
I set myself tasks and then have a reward, this seems to work for me.

glammanana Wed 18-Sep-19 11:59:16

bikergran brew far more important in my opinion.x

Dottydots Wed 18-Sep-19 14:23:47

I've lived on my own for donkey's years and rarely have visitors, apart from my sons, but I do like to keep everything clean and tidy. No way can I sit and relax when I know there is washing up to be done or a bit of fluff to be picked off the floor. I'm sad, I know!.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Sep-19 17:22:04

My untidiness is a brilliant test for the memory, now where did I put that--------, so the mind has to then work overtime.smile