Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’m an old fogey . Are you ?

(160 Posts)
Gemini1789 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:41:07

(What’s a fogey anyway ? Anyone know ? )

I mute the tv during the ads
I like my house warm
I avoid being on the road in the school run
I like quiet
I love good manners.

Jennist Thu 03-Oct-19 13:05:01

Am I an old fogey?
You should be whatever you like. Personally I enjoy being 18years, 30 years, or maybe 40 - in my head that is.
I love going out, looking forward to the new seasons fashions, dressing up, making up and engaging with all generations.
What does that make me?
A Baby Boomer !!

maddyone Thu 03-Oct-19 13:13:50

I’m definitely an old fogey, based on your criteria Gemini, but also on a few that others have mentioned. I wear vests in winter, an apron when I’m cooking, I love my slippers, I get changed into comfortable jogging trousers as soon as I get home (I’ve no intention of going jogging though) I love the house to be warm.

Grandmama Thu 03-Oct-19 18:30:15

Gabriella - Thank you for reminding me about Churlston Deckle. I always used it years ago, not sure why I stopped, maybe too expensive or couldn't find it locally.

Thank you for your warm comments - I bake cakes every week but I can't make scones!

Awaiting the adoption papers to sign [wink}

Grandmama Thu 03-Oct-19 18:30:36

wink

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 18:38:30

Isn’t Churlston Deckle the Conservative MP for Henley??

giulia Thu 03-Oct-19 19:42:58

I've just won the prize for being the biggest old fogey of you all: I opened up my tax return form in order to complete it and found I am one of the 9% of British citizens who still do it by hand!

M0nica Sat 05-Oct-19 15:10:48

Just been reading a book published in 1866. In it someone is referred to as an 'old fogey' and it meant there what it means now: somone, usually older, who sticks to doing things the way they were done decades ago rather than adapting to modern practice, said with kindness, if dismissively.

Witzend Wed 09-Oct-19 06:18:14

Definitely entering fogeydom here, since I've actually brought my knitting on holiday (to be fair I have a lot to do before mid November) and instead of being raring to get to the beach every day, as I always did, I'm happy to potter about for a few hours and tick off another 10 rows.

I used to know one or two young fogeys - those who were apparently born middle aged. One young chap, only late teens, and not that long ago, invariably wore grandpa-type shirts (winceyette type check) and a knitted tie!

timetogo2016 Mon 28-Oct-19 16:50:03

In 1811 an old fogey was a nickname for an invalid/wounded soldier from the French fierce/fiery.
And I didn't think I was BUT yehhhh I AM.