Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taking children out of school

(156 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sun 06-Oct-19 10:06:48

AIBU? I’m currently on holiday at a very beautiful resort in Greece.
You would honestly think UK schools had broken up seeing the number of school age children here.
Many are in luxury suites with their own pool, the cost for a family of four for this week would be around 7 thousand pounds.
I really feel for the teachers who then have to put in extra time to help these people pils catch up.

jura2 Sun 03-Nov-19 20:07:25

Daughter 2 missed a whole term- as she went to school abroad. We discussed this at length with the Head and teachers - they all agree she would benefit hugely from the exchange, and if was bright and motivated enough - with parents who could help in all key subjects on return. It worked brilliantly and has been fully bilingual since. A very different proposition- and her choice entirely.

Davidhs Sun 03-Nov-19 20:24:26

My youngest daughter is taking her brood skiing before Christmas quite properly she asked permission from the school to miss the last 3 days of term and they agreed without any hassle .
So schools are helpful if it is reasonable and I’m shure a request mid term would have been questioned.

GrandmaMoira Sun 03-Nov-19 21:12:29

I used to take my children out of school for a one week holiday most years as my DH had fixed holidays so it wasn't about money - we only had a cheap holiday. Back then no-one queried this. It seems that many more workers now have difficulties booking annual leave in holiday time - I don't know what the answer is.
There are occasions when schools should be flexible. When my DH died the GCs' school complained about them attending the funeral.

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Nov-19 14:14:22

Can I just raise the point of those in our services who generally have proscribed holidays. I don’t know many people in the Army (for example) but they have no choice when their vacation comes along.

Re where people holiday - I think that’s really not the point. Are people cross because the families are abroad?

And finally, for some families (even, and perhaps most importantly those struggling most) a few days away from the every-day worries and environment is a godsend. It can make a family feel whole again and set them on a new, more positive trajectory.
Maybe those feeling negative about school-time holidays might like to read about the Family Holiday Association - I’ve referred families to this charity and the difference in them before and after even a couple of days away had to be seen to be believed:
www.familyholidayassociation.org.uk/

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Nov-19 14:37:58

Re the FHA in the

post above, please read the “impact report” and the “why holidays” sections (under About Us)