Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taking children out of school

(155 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sun 06-Oct-19 10:06:48

AIBU? I’m currently on holiday at a very beautiful resort in Greece.
You would honestly think UK schools had broken up seeing the number of school age children here.
Many are in luxury suites with their own pool, the cost for a family of four for this week would be around 7 thousand pounds.
I really feel for the teachers who then have to put in extra time to help these people pils catch up.

jura2 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:15:36

Yes, so do I.

Feel really sorry for the kids too, if they have special needs.
People I know here had a 5 year old start school with no French at all- a teacher was drafting in, at huge cost to community, to help him acquire sufficient French to cope- and they then took child out of school for a 3 month trip to NZ. Now back to square one- and community expected to pay all over again for very expensive support.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Oct-19 10:20:30

I get to feel very cross when kids are taken on holiday in term time They get so many holiday weeks to then add on more is really bad mannered and a dreadful influence in rule breaking for the kids themselves
I understand that it costs more to go in the holiday time well if you can afford to go abroad, cost that in or holiday somewhere a bit cheaper
It’s disrespectful to the teachers it’s like putting your finger up at authority and what a lesson to teach the children

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Oct-19 10:22:44

Personally , I think it depends on the child, the age of the child and what important events are going on in their school life.

I am a big believer in taking family holidays and in my case my husband worked for an organisation for some years where holiday time was mandated and not a choice. So it was inevitable that at some stage we would holiday in term time.

I think there is a huge benefit to foreign travel , learning about other cultures first hand and a lot of things like maths etc can be incorporated if the parent so chooses.

So barring exam times, mock exams etc I would definitely take my children out of school

The rationale that is often given is how much it inconveniences teachers to have a child miss time but no one says anything about the days the school chooses not to operate like inset days . My granddaughters school even saves them up and shuts the school for a block week for these - that seems ok for their education :-)

I think your example is very different Jura and I can see how that seems a different case.

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 10:25:44

Well I feel equally sorry for those who cannot afford the massive hike in prices during school holidays. Those parents who get 4 weeks holiday a year and often have to take them apart. My DS and DDiL have recently just lost their much longed for, October half term holiday with their 3 children and probably won’t get their money back until January at the earliest. Looking at the price of holidays and the fact that the remaining tour operators have hiked their prices even higher I doubt they will afford a family holiday ever again.

But I suppose that would make a few people very happy.

My DGS did not have a regular teacher for the entire year last year (year 4) So many temps and supplies that they didn’t even get to know the children’s names never mind play catch up with anyone who had missed a week.

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 10:27:13

Anyone who might have missed a week.

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 10:28:00

I hate this world of begrudging.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Oct-19 10:45:51

Because other airlines/ holidays have upped their prices I can see them going bust as well because they'll be less affordable than ever where there are families. It's criminal that such companies can be allowed to be so greedy and grasping.

Prices per mile by air are more expensive here than a flight to the other side of the world and it's totally unacceptable. Even the hotels were trying to cash in on those who were left stranded by the collapse which I thought was abominable and in view of that I'd never do business with their like again.

I was talking to an elderly neighbour who'd been stranded in Turkey during that time and was stuck in an airport for over 8 hrs, she's in her 70's. Then finally whatever flight was arranged it only went to Stansted airport and from there a coach to Liverpool then another mode of transport from there across the water to here. The woman has Parkinson's and it took its toll on her.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Oct-19 10:47:09

Tell me about it,gillybob.

It's the greed which makes me feel ill.

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 10:51:17

I’m not in favour of taking children out of school, esp when it’s for very expensive resort type holidays. However, teachers don’t put in extra time to bring these children back up to speed and the weeks before term ends when they do very little so perhaps with the October break coming next week (here anyway) there are parents who are taking advantage of the wind down.

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 10:54:11

What difference does the type of holiday really make ? If someone is fortunate enough to afford a luxury holiday or just a week in a caravan in Yorkshire ? Holidays are valuable family time .

Hetty58 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:56:57

As a retired teacher I've never been in agreement with the government policies on this (many teachers aren't). Did you know that both parents can be fined for absence? It's a bit silly when they may be separated and one may be unaware. Many families just can't afford the costs of summer holidays.

Generally, kids are 'off sick' rather than officially on holiday. One said he'd met his friend (on a Greek island) while off sick! Would I report an incident of suspected 'term time holiday'? No!

notanan2 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:00:07

My first year in my last job I went the whole year getting zero annual leave during school holidays or half term as only so many can be off at once and school holidays are booked up a year in advance!

whywhywhy Sun 06-Oct-19 11:05:15

I never kept my kids off school during term time. I think it's totally wrong. My opinion.

Callistemon Sun 06-Oct-19 11:08:44

Are they British children, Missfoodlove?

I ask because the Australian school holidays have just finished and the NZ school holidays are halfway through.

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 11:09:47

What difference does the type of holiday really make

I meant, if someone can afford to spend the £7k the OP was talking about they could spend the same amount or less on a holiday in the school holidays - there are plenty of other options available that would mean not missing school

Luckygirl Sun 06-Oct-19 11:10:44

I took all 3 out of school every year in June, because we could not at that time afford the massive expense of hols out of term time. They all have degrees and post-grad qualifications.

My DD takes hers out too as she and her OH have seasonal work which makes holidays out of term time impossible.

Callistemon Sun 06-Oct-19 11:12:20

gillybob I feel so sorry for your family and so many others caught in this - but I wonder if they paid by credit card?
This happened to some of my family with a much smaller firm a while ago, but they did get a refund from their credit card bank.

notanan2 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:12:54

I meant, if someone can afford to spend the £7k the OP was talking about they could spend the same amount or less on a holiday in the school holidays - there are plenty of other options available that would mean not missing school

Not if they cant get leave in school holidays. And many can't.

E.g. me & people with tourism based businesses etc

notanan2 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:14:34

British PRIVATE schools often avoid state school holidays and midterms so British private school kids do get taken on holiday in "term time" but its not their term time

Callistemon Sun 06-Oct-19 11:15:33

Perhaps they should do what they do in Australia?
Pupils can take time off school during term time (so many visit family overseas, often for several weeks) but they have to keep up with schoolwork online and send in their work via the internet.

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 11:15:49

Sadly no they didn’t Callistemon they had saved very hard for this little break and “paid off it” in the branch with myself and the other grandma paying little bits off too . £50 here and there etc. I feel so sorry for the children .

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 11:16:39

No that’s true notanan - but many can, they just choose to get ‘more for their money’ by going in term time.

Callistemon Sun 06-Oct-19 11:16:41

Oh no, I am so sorry, gillybob.

Alexa Sun 06-Oct-19 11:17:08

It depends on the quality of the holiday. There is a substantial benefit to a child to be taken on a holiday of educational value on the one hand, and a family jolly on the other. Much depends on the parents whether they can take the place of qualified teachers or not.
What Missfoodlove describes sounds like the sort of holiday that parents who are NOT good at education would take their children to. Such people are teaching their children that what costs a lot of money is good in itself.