Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bad language

(94 Posts)
Gemini1789 Mon 14-Oct-19 22:04:27

I’ve just come to bed early leaving the OH watching ‘The Dublin Murders ‘ . He said it had a good write up. How many horrible phrases and unpleasant words were in the first 10 minutes ? I kept going till about half way but really ! Do we have to listen to that ? Well the answer is no. We don’t have to. We can switch off or leave the room .
AIBU ?

newnanny Tue 15-Oct-19 11:51:59

I have taped it but not seen it yet.

Mapleleaf Tue 15-Oct-19 12:20:27

Yes, there is some bad language, and I'm definitely not a lover of it, but the storyline is gripping so I will be watching the second episode. I agree though, that it can be a bit much sometimes.

Nvella Tue 15-Oct-19 12:22:30

No - didn’t notice it either - enjoyed the episode

Bridgeit Tue 15-Oct-19 12:39:30

It’s lazy writing IMO, although sometimes it adds to the emotion being portrayed.

Sara65 Tue 15-Oct-19 12:39:52

Didn’t watch it, but I would probably have felt the same, I think it’s totally overdone sometimes.

GeorgyGirl Tue 15-Oct-19 12:49:24

I also do not like bad language, it is unnecessary and can be offensive. It just seems to be everywhere and on lots of tv programmes, trying to make it the norm, a sad sign of the times again, standards being dropped. Swear words used to be used by people who couldn't think of an intelligent alternative.

Anja Tue 15-Oct-19 12:54:16

Come on! It was an excellent drama. I’m sure the odd swear word was not inserted by those ‘who couldn’t think of an intellectual alternative’ or they wouldn’t be adapting books as screen plays for a living.

Bah! Humbug!

gillyknits Tue 15-Oct-19 13:00:25

I think the whole point of the policeman in the white shirt was to emphasise that he didn’t think much of women detectives in general. I feel he’s about to be proved very wrong.

Annaram1 Tue 15-Oct-19 13:30:49

I didn't really like the swearing in the program either. It is a good story though and I will be watching tonight. I did not like the white shirted man saying sexist things to the woman and I would have liked her to have reported him. These days he wold not have dared.

EthelJ Tue 15-Oct-19 13:35:02

There was some bad language in it but I'm afraid that's life. I don't generally get upset by bad language on TV. They are just words.

EthelJ Tue 15-Oct-19 13:38:35

I wouldn't say it's lazy writing either I think it's just a realistic portrayal. I don't use that language but I know that many people do, just in their normal everyday conversation.

Alexa Tue 15-Oct-19 13:52:31

Spabbygirl you are so right! It's the tone of voice and bodylanguage that offend and harm, not words.

True , a word itself can cause a frisson . However what were once called 'swear' words are so normal now in many social contexts that there it's no use trying to turn that tide, and better to try to accept the inevitable.

Ginny42 Tue 15-Oct-19 13:57:46

If the language isn't in the book, does it mean that the producer judges it necessary to draw the viewing public? Viewing figures is why it's included. Sad situation if that's so.

I couldn't cope with anything about child murders, so I won't be watching, with or without bad language, but from what's reported in this thread I do hope the man in the white shirt gets his comeuppance at some point.

SalsaQueen Tue 15-Oct-19 13:58:30

Gemini1789 .... Swearing per se doesn't bother me - however, if someone swore AT me, that might be different grin

sweetcakes Tue 15-Oct-19 15:39:17

Just watched it thought it was pretty good so far, bad language does not bother me and I've watched worst if you don't like it don't watch it.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:03:53

I would tend to agree with OP. Just because a subject is unpleasant doesn't mean that it has to be discussed in crude, obscene or rude language.

I haven't seen the programme in question, but I do feel that there is far to much offensive language being used everywhere.

I am capable of expressing myself without swear words or obscene expressions, so I find it reasonable to wish others would do so too.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 15-Oct-19 17:53:03

I haven’t actually seen the Dublin murders but I have noticed much more swearing on tv , I don’t really take any notice to be honest, sadly it’s the way of the world, it goes straight over my head,there’s a lot more disturbing things in the world going on right now than swearing, if I was offended I would turn off

sarahellenwhitney Tue 15-Oct-19 18:04:20

Linbrikat
Think you may be off course ?

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:08:15

Nah. Most of the rudest most unpleasant people I have ever met were sticklers for grammar and "manners".

Have met some brilliant swearey people.

Think there is an inverse relationship between the two

glammagran Tue 15-Oct-19 18:25:26

I was a bit surprised by the conduct of the (was it inspector?) in the office but hadn't realised at first it’s set in 2006. I think in 2019 things have changed a lot and that behaviour would be deemed totally unacceptable.

Anthea1948 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:30:55

I thoroughly enjoyed it and must admit I didn't particularly notice the bad language, but then it is used a lot more freely these days. As you said, you didn't have to watch it, you did what was best for you and that's fine, but if TV is meant to be displaying life as it is then I think we have to get used to bad language being used, just as it is in much of the real world.

Gemini1789 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:37:45

I was finishing off my knitting so I didn’t realise the inspector scene was a flashback until the OH enlightened me. That’s after we had a mini row ( as opposed to our proper ones ) about how I ought to be more broadminded . (I’d like to say that afterwards we had great sex like they do in the movies but ...) The flashback does explain things a bit. I don’t object to swearing per se . (I have been known....... )
I agree with the others who say that there isn’t this same language in the books . I might give the episode another shot when my eyes grow tired of the subtitles in Spiral .

TerriBull Tue 15-Oct-19 19:43:27

I thought it was really good and am looking forward to tonight's episode, bad language or not! Actually can't remember too much about the bad language must be desensitised to it blush

Oopsminty Tue 15-Oct-19 19:49:05

Of course. Switch off if it bothers you.

I must say that I didn't really notice.

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Oct-19 23:24:51

I am only just beginning to realise, and regret, that quite respectable, intelligent women can and do use obscenities in every day conversation.

Speaking to some smart, well-educated and well-regarded university lecturers this last week, almost all effed and blinded in a way that appalled me.

It's probably the fact that they hear it on TV which has made it 'normal'.
I don't think it will ever be normal to me. There is, after all, a good reason why it is called 'foul language'.

My Mum, god bless her, used to say, 'If you wouldn't use that language in front of the Queen, don't use it in front of me.' !!

This was to my sister who was always a 'potty mouth'.

I refrained from pointing out that Princess Margaret was well known for her bad language. grin