Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU

(105 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 31-Oct-19 08:56:42

We have had a neighbourhood message from our local constabulary asking residents to sweep leaves, clear paths and pavements and make sure all driveways etc are well lit for this evenings trick or treaters.
They have asked us to be aware of allergies when handing out sweets!!
No message for the trick or treaters to be respectful.

Minerva Thu 31-Oct-19 09:53:49

I already swept the leaves by the way, for the safety of the postman and any other visitors.

A couple of years ago my grandchildren were elsewhere and I wasn’t well so I didn’t carve a pumpkin. I was ready with sweets just in case but with the curtains pulled and no sign of Halloween I was left completely in peace. People seem to stick to the rules round us.

Nanaval4G Thu 31-Oct-19 09:55:34

I'm another one who puts a poster in the window and Iocks my door, there's nothing more intimidating than a bunch of teenagers looking ghoulish. The last time I did it they even had the cheek to say they wanted money not sweets.

Purplepoppies Thu 31-Oct-19 09:55:51

I'm of the belief its begging too..
I share a path, block of flats, so I won't be sweeping it, nor will I be wasting money on sweets that may or may not trigger an allergic reaction!! Nor will I be answering my door!!
Apart from that I'm a really nice person ??

paintingthetownred Thu 31-Oct-19 09:55:51

Hello there MISBU

No I don't think you are being oversensitive at all. Some people are genuinely frightened by Halloween and would rather not have callers at all. Regardless of age, I think people should be sensitive to that, including the local police force.

And also, in terms of diversity, some don't want to take part for religious reasons i.e. they object to it.

To be fair in some areas the police force are very sensitive and wouldn't dream of sending out a round robin like this.

Round here the general rule is, if you want kids to call and want to take part, then people generally put a pumpkin in the window or similar. For houses without the kids (generally under 10 and always well supervised and well-behaved in my experience, avoid the houses where no such signal is present).

Also to be fair, when daughter was little even though we live in an area which is a bit rough around the edges, it surprised me what a lovely community based event it was and how much everyone enjoyed it. Many people liked the kids coming.

If you can spare the time I think the police would really appreciate any feedback you have to give and to express your views. Apart from anything else, if it is icy (which it is not today I believe) - some of us would probably worry about people slipping over, and some would not be able to keep their paths clear if they (we) have a disability and so on...or no one to help.

Once again, I totally appreciate your viewpoint. I shan't be taking part today, not because I object to the whole thing but daughter is not here and we have had a few issues with scam callers anyway so I appreciate the peace and quiet. Not being patronising, but well done for posting. In my experience in the past it is the whole of the community that needs to respect each other and the issues. I have noticed that some my neighbours have a sticker on the door saying 'if you are not invited...don't call' - with a police stamp on it. Might be worth asking about this too.

Kind of a shame really that junk and cold callers make people feel unsafe in their neighbourhoods - as there are so many lonely people out there - some I know really appreciate the kids calling as it can be joyful and grandmas and grandads rig up whole theatrical productions on their doorsteps which is fab. Maybe reminds them of their own childhood.

I was in a restaurant yesterday and saw a gran dressed as a pumpkin. Very brave and looked great. Home made costume.

Still, different strokes for different folks eh.
Have a nice evening anyway.

all best
Painting

jocork Thu 31-Oct-19 09:56:02

I don't like Halloween and was always glad if I was away for it. I shall be pretending not to be in! Hopefully any callers will be put off by there being no light on and my drveway covered with leaves and weeds.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:56:43

Some of my GC have allergies,but they wouldnt expect anyone except me to cater for that especially ,and yes im sure they know what theyre allowed and not,and small kids usually have an adult with them anyway so could guide them to pick correct treats?

annep1 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:57:07

Uninvited visitors not covered by insurance. This is why I won't be putting a pumpkin outside. It might be considered as an invitation. Shame.

However I think I would rather join in the fun than be grumpy about it. Most of the children are very pleasant and enjoying their Halloween fun. Now and again there's one who grabs a handful of treats lol.

Anthea1948 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:00:38

What a cheek! I would take umbrage and think if they didn't want the hazard of walking up my path or risking an allergy from the treat they got then they could very well stay away! Sorry, that would really put my back up.

Patticake123 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:03:33

I would agree that this notice from the police seems rather odd, but in response to the folk blaming it on the Americans, I was told it originates in Ireland. Last year I was in New York and was able to see how it is celebrated in Brooklyn. The shops, like ours are decorated and the theme of pumpkins was widespread, but there was minimal evidence of ghosts and witches. The children all went to school in fancy dress, again, not particularly related to the macabre, my granddaughter went as Snow White and her brother Spiderman. When we collected them from school, they were given a ‘pumpkin bucket’ and as we walked home all of the shops had their doors open and children were given sweets. By the time we made it home, approximately 2 miles, the buckets overflowed! Once home, everyone from around and about gathered by the bridge and an amazing brass band paraded around the streets with the children following, dancing along to the music. Eventually, the neighbourhood, parents, grandchildren and grandparents all gathered together under the bridge for a street party. It was far more fun than anything I’d expected, nothing threatening at all and absolutely nothing like the Halloween I’ve seen in the U.K.

fourormore Thu 31-Oct-19 10:13:52

Our local police have produced a poster that anyone can print off saying, politely, that we do not wish to be disturbed.
We have printed one off for our elderly neighbour and this year, as we are both full of cold, we will put one in our window too.
I have no problem with little ones having fun. What worries me is the bigger more threatening lads who seem to take pleasure in terrifying our elderly neighbours. Sadly, they are about in our area and spoil it for the young ones.

Oldwoman70 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:15:20

There was a group email sent in my area stating that parents would be bringing children around tonight trick or treating and ended with the words "Don't be a bad neighbour".

This came from the same people who watched me being taken to hospital by ambulance earlier this year, saw me arrive home a week later and not one contacted me to see if I was OK or needed anything, yet I will be the bad neighbour if I don't have sweets for their children! hmm

Yes, I will be handing out sweets - as it isn't the childrens' fault their parents are douchbags!

jean6enie Thu 31-Oct-19 10:18:19

Outrageous!

Oopsminty Thu 31-Oct-19 10:19:54

When the children were little we were always at Alton Towers for Halloween. We stayed at the hotel and it was lovely. Great fun and the firework displays were fabulous.

Now we tend to be in and do indulge any children who come knocking. It's usually children of people I know. We live in a quiet rural village.

Not a big trauma but I appreciate it can be off putting, especially if you're elderly and alone.

looby Thu 31-Oct-19 10:26:38

I don't like it at all, I live in the country and in a quiet street where it's mostly pensioners but for the past years few years some cheeky blighters have been dropping off a couple of mini buses full of kids/younger teens from other villages and then we have around 2 -3 hours of them screeching up and down the road trick or treating screaming their heads off and making a mess with that awful silly string and toilet paper thrown all about the place etc etc Bad weather hasn't put them off either. I lock my back gate and my front one will be tied shut just as soon as the post has been this afternoon.But we'll still have the noise to deal with which terrifies my dog & it takes hours to settle him down after they've gone. I wish they'd stop coming here. What makes people think it's ok to make others miserable in their own homes just because they are having fun? Especially when they don't even live along here! Rant over, happy hallowen and all that .....

grandadoscar Thu 31-Oct-19 10:34:28

I always thought the rule was not to knock on a door if they didn’t have a lit pumpkin outside. I think it’s fair enough if you don’t want to be involved. Is this local authority going to offer a free drive sweeping service! Do you need one of those signs on your drive saying something like “the mgt do not accept responsibility for .....” madness

Marjgran Thu 31-Oct-19 10:34:38

I’m with Minerva and Painting on this one. In our area the children only go to a house with a lantern or a pumpkin, we are in a very family packed neighbourhood, a local Facebook Page even has a map of households who want to be visited and those who want nothing to do with it. I have a basket with over 100 wrapped sweets, I avoided peanut flavours. I enjoy it! Sometimes a teenager tries to get some but I usually say they are too old, unless they are accompanied by little ones. The police notice was a little odd, I suspect someone in the back office was asked to address Halloween and came up with something they thought was helpful! I don’t think it would get me too wound up.

Merryweather Thu 31-Oct-19 10:37:33

I usually leave a cauldron with mini mars or milky way on the doorstep. The last three years my door has been eggs, floured or both. I don't answer the door as the treats are there. Plus I'm in bed and can't manage the stairs. Might not bother this year.
Does that mean I can binge eat the chocolate?

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:38:01

Seems to me that your local constabulary are bored out of their skills!

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:38:21

Skulls!

ReadyMeals Thu 31-Oct-19 10:48:16

In our area, fortunately trick and treaters only come to the houses with halloween decorations outside. I think if one does use decorations to invite trick and treaters then one does have a moral obligation to try and make the visit safe. Otherwise, no, don't bother with these instructions.

icanhandthemback Thu 31-Oct-19 10:49:00

Whilst I don't get involved with trick or treating except with my own grandchildren who call, I think it might be the Constabulary's way of protecting you too. If someone has an accident on your property, invited or not, you are responsible if you can be found to be negligent under Common Law. So, if a burglar trips on the loose mat at the top of your stairs, they can sue you even if you have notices up declaring a lack of responsibility. So whilst on the face of it YANBU, you are taking a risk by not following the advice.

Craftycat Thu 31-Oct-19 11:23:06

I love it!! We live in a quiet very friendly cul de sac & all the local children come round together WITH their parents ( also dressed up). When they have been up & down the road they all congregate at the end in the turning circle & have a party. We grab a bottle &go out & join them & it is a lovey evening- as long as it doesn't rain.
I decorate the outside of our house to show we are happy to be called on.
Looking forward to tonight as it looks to be dry if a bit cold!

Fronkydonky Thu 31-Oct-19 11:28:17

We hate Halloween trick or treaters here too. I don’t ever answer the door and never allowed our children to go knocking on doors. It’s not a British tradition. If the families over the pond enjoy doing it I have no problem with that, but we always display posters ( from our local police constabulary which were in a local newspaper years ago) to advertise that we do not wish to be disturbed with door knockers trick or treating& never partake in this .

Mcrc Thu 31-Oct-19 11:34:54

I am Americn and I hate how Halloween has gotten all PC. I don't worry about allergies, I don't worry about leaves, I don't sweep for the trick or treaters. I love seeing the costumes and children and how mch fun they have. That has not changed. I also think Trunk or treats is dumb. We happen to be traveling today or else I would be ready with my full size candy bars!

Elcie Thu 31-Oct-19 11:45:16

What a cheek! We never answer our door on Halloween, and I certainly wouldn’t sweep my drive in honour of a tradition that is yet another American rip off. I know, I’m a miserable old cow ?