Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is a damn cheek!

(150 Posts)
phoenix Thu 07-Nov-19 18:40:47

Hello all, good wishes and pass the smelling salts to those who may have had a fit of the vapours at me posting on AIBUgrin (I think it may be the second time?)

Aaaanyway, had a call yesterday from J, a friend. We speak a couple of times a week, but havent actually seen each other for about 18 months, (even though we live reasonably close, about 20 minutes drive, which is reasonably close by Devon standards!) since they downsized to a tiny bungalow. (They keep threatening to invite us over, but it never happens, I have invited them to us, but J' s job involves very odd hours, getting up at 2am etc.

After the usual chit chat, me telling her about flooded bathroom on Monday sad, Mr P being unwell, losing days at work and therefore pay, asking after her father who has just had a knee replacement, she proceeded to tell me that it was her first grandchilds christening on Sunday December 1st, at 9am.

There is a gathering afterwards at the Memorial Hall, her daughter thought that bacon rolls and a bit of Christening cake would do. Sounds sensible.

Then she asked if I would be prepared to go to the Memorial Hall and cook the bacon shock I wouldn't be expected to do any of the clearing/cleaning after, just cook the bacon.

They would be happy to pay me, and take Mr P & I out for lunch after.

I was so caught off guard, that I was ( to use the vernacular) gobsmacked! Said I would get back to her.

I'm not prepared to do it, don't want to be tied in to being somewhere quite early on a Sunday morning, prefer to wander around in my PJ's drinking coffee!

However, as a gesture, I have contacted a local caterer who comes to my place of work and does bacon rolls from her van (not one with a cooking facility, iykwim) to ask her how she keeps the bacon hot.(J doesnt know this, will present her with the info)

Perhaps passing this info on to J will help wink

Sorry for the ramble, so AIBU?

Callistemon Sat 09-Nov-19 14:32:02

trisher shock grin

although, I must say, I have heard something similar but I signed the OSA!

trisher Sat 09-Nov-19 14:45:49

My DS and DGC. aren't christened but if one of my DSs had asked me to find someone to cook bacon for an event I would have insisted an invite and free drinks would be something of an inducement. As for the spitting I used to do waitressing when I was younger it is (reportedly) what some chefs do when people send plates of food back!

phoenix Sat 09-Nov-19 19:28:52

I won't be spitting on any bacon, because I wont be cooking it!

Planning to phone J tomorrow, unless of course she phones me first, will let you all know how the conversation goes wink

FarNorth Sat 09-Nov-19 21:06:22

You don't think J is on GN - so she'll already know your answer?

phoenix Sat 09-Nov-19 21:37:40

No, FarNorth wouldn't have thought so, in fact I would be very surprised if she even knew it existed!

lemongrove Sat 09-Nov-19 22:29:37

Hey Phoenix.....are you able to come up here and cook our bacon sarnies on Christmas Day morning? There’s a mince pie in it for you.?

phoenix Sat 09-Nov-19 22:57:28

Of course, lemongrove, and I'll bring my feather duster, mop, bucket and polish so that I can have a bit of a clean round while I'm at it!grin

However, I'll be careful not to try to multi task, after all you wouldn't want your bacon over done!

PS We usually have either smoked fish creams or scrambled egg and smoked salmon for "brunch" on Christmas day, but if you want bacon sarnies, then so be it!

MaudLillian Sun 10-Nov-19 08:40:59

Tell her you cannot cook the bacon, you've gone vegan. Which is a good thing to do, by the way, for the planet, for your own health and love of animals! smile

lemongrove Sun 10-Nov-19 08:45:21

My, you Devonians know how to live it up!
Scrambled egg and smoked salmon for brunch eh?
We may be joining you and will bring our own bacon sarnies to add to the feast.?

Callistemon Sun 10-Nov-19 09:13:33

Smoked fish creams will do very nicely, thank you phoenix?
About elevenish? We'll give you time to open your stocking from Father Christmas too.

I'll bring the Buck's Fizz

Callistemon Sun 10-Nov-19 09:14:19

Why does auto-correct keep changing what I type to what it thinks I should say??

onlyruth Sun 10-Nov-19 09:53:43

I'm going to join the only other person who wouldn't have taken offence at this.

The parents need someone to do it (OP isn't a friend of the parents so wouldn't have been invited anyway) the parents probably asked OP's friend if she knew anyone who might do this, friend thought of OP.
They planned to pay her and then take her out for lunch as an extra thank you. So no being taken advantage of here.

I'd have no problem with that at all. I'd enjoy being useful and a part of someone's happy occasion. I'm not quite sure what everyone else is offended by.

granzilla Mon 11-Nov-19 07:25:07

Wasn't there a Gransnetter or rather her DH recently invited to a reunion of former colleagues?
And 'Oh, by the way can he prepare several hundred crabs prior to the main event'? grin
Some people.

mrsmopp Mon 11-Nov-19 09:05:39

Do you think she might be on GN herself and find this thread?
It’s possible. Even with our phoney names she would know it’s you on here, wouldn’t she?
If you feel really naughty you could send her the link then she would know it was unreasonable.
Just a thought!

Countrylife Mon 11-Nov-19 09:52:26

I think it’s all rather Bizarre Phoenix and I agree it’s a blinking cheek. Give the info on the bacon bun van and say that you hope they have a lovely time and cross her off your Christmas card list and fret no more.

Tedber Tue 12-Nov-19 14:08:37

So Phoenix how did the conversation go?

phoenix Tue 12-Nov-19 14:26:23

Hello all!

It was her birthday yesterday, so I phoned to wish her many happy returns, but it went to answer machine!

So I sang the song and hung up.

Waiting for her to get back to me!

Fiachna50 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:38:22

MadMaggie, I have a gluten-free requirement which has been foisted on me by an autoimmune condition. Please believe me, if I didn't need to eat gluten-free Id prefer ordinary. No one in their right mind 'chooses' this. I actually have cut down in going out to restaurants as the looks and stares you get as soon as you ask about a GF menu can be very embarrasing. Vegan and vegetarian are lifestyle choices. I don't mind catering for those. I do object when needing GF food is seen as being fussy or a fad. It's not the first time I have offered to take my own food, to save folk alot of bother. Most of my friends don't mind catering for me at all. Coeliac disease is a real and serious condition.

phoenix Tue 12-Nov-19 18:20:10

Fiachna50 it falls on me to organise the world Christmas "do".

Last year we had booked to go to an Italian restaurant. One of the party was gluten intolerant!

I was a bit concerned with regard to how the restaurant might cope.

Needn't have worried, they were able to accommodate vegetarians, gluten intolerant rtf because we told them in advance.

Boosgran Tue 12-Nov-19 18:34:55

fiachna50 I have Coeliac disease as well and completely agree with all you say!

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-Nov-19 18:50:15

phoenix I would put money on the fact your friend will not be getting in touch any time soon.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 19:30:18

Fiachna I agree
The problem is that many people, especially celebrities, are asking for gluten free food as a lifestyle choice and some staff at restaurants, food outlets, are known to give a sigh or not understand cross-contamination.
However, if they are told that someone is coeliac they do tend to have a change of attitude.

merlotgran Tue 12-Nov-19 21:12:01

I am coeliac and so is one of my grandsons but I can see why it has become a lifestyle choice for some people. Giving up gluten can help improve many health problems including IBS, bloating and menstrual pain. It's also good for weight loss because GF bread is expensive so best avoided!!

Thankfully most good restaurants have recognised this and there is more choice than there used to be.

It makes me cross though that in the large food hall of our nearest, centre of excellence hospital, the only GF item available is either an egg sandwich or the ubiquitous rock hard chocolate brownie. angry

You're OK if you want to stuff yourself full of unhealthy burgers, sausages, pizzas, chips, and cakes though. Plenty of that on offer. grin

GrannySquare Wed 13-Nov-19 08:54:30

@phoenix Oh, I did note that you had not been invited to the Christening...hence the poky comment ?.