Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sainsbury’s try out in one store.

(126 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:04:51

Just seen that Sainsbury’s intends to do away with all check outs in one store (according to a TV programme on tonight) and encourage customers to pay with their mobile. Well they would lose my custom but am I the only one to think like that?

leyla Wed 27-Nov-19 09:22:32

I detest using self checkout tills so would never use that shop, also I can’t imagine that I would ever feel comfortable paying with my phone.

Daisyboots Wed 27-Nov-19 13:54:52

My husband likes self scan with the little machine and check out. But I dont. So if we go to Tesco when we visit England he is in his element. But he wouldn't pay by phone.
Here in Portugal they have self service tills but you can only use them if you have a basket. A shopping trolley even with only a few things in it is not allowed.

ReadyMeals Wed 27-Nov-19 14:20:19

I prefer self-checkout to the staffed tills mainly because sometimes I really don't feel like being sociable. Also some of the assistants either don't turn on their output belts so I have to almost sprain my shoulder trying to reach the items, or they do them in an order I wouldn't have chosen and the light fragile things are piling up while I wait for the bag of potatoes. Anyway between DH and myself we shop nearly every day so it's only a few things each time, perfect for the little self-serve tills

Tedber Wed 27-Nov-19 14:28:13

Que sera sera. I remember my old dad refusing to use an ATM, insisting he went into his bank to get money. He couldn't do that now - his bank has gone! I remember the arguments about not using cheques at check outs. How much time does it save and how many of us would give up our debit cards now?

My husband grumbles all the time at how much we have to do ourselves especially at airports; weighing, tagging etc Says "B****y h* ...WE will be asked to fly the thing next!!!

I generally just go along with it and accept it all but only drawback I can see is for the shops themselves. IF they want everyone to use a mobile phone etc etc then why would people bother going into the store at all? They could do it all on-line - or is THAT the goal?

ReadyMeals Wed 27-Nov-19 14:34:21

Given the poor stockkeeping at my local Sainsbury, the online shopping actually is more likely to have what I need in stock!

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 10:03:00

I refuse to use self checkouts. Jobs are being lost quickly enough in supermarkets without me adding to it.
In addition I don’t work for a supermarket, I shop there.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 10:20:23

Oh ! This must be the Sainsburys my daughter was telling me about She seems to think it's ok. But she already uses that bleeper thing you carry around with you. I just feel too strange putting the stuff straight into my shopping bag.

She did say there seems to be no checks at all. That anyone could just put stuff in their bag without bleeping. (Not that she would do that! grin

You have to have a special app.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 10:21:23

I quite like using self service tills. A bit of a challenge and a bit like playing shops.

Davida1968 Mon 02-Dec-19 10:27:28

Ready Meals, I was not suggesting that older people can't use technology - simply that (IMO) they may be more likely to choose not to do so, in the Sainsburys-type situation which is being discussed here. I think that a lot of people over 60 prefer the "person operated " checkouts (for a variety of reasons) and that they appreciate the value of having real people doing jobs in a supermarket.

quizqueen Mon 02-Dec-19 10:47:08

I chose not to have a smart phone. People who object to this sort of behaviour from supermarkets should fill a huge trolley - preferably with tiny, tiny items-and then just abandon it by these tills. Sainsburys and others would soon get the message.

ReadyMeals Mon 02-Dec-19 12:25:45

Quizqueen and who do you think would have the soul-draining task of replacing the objects on the shelves. The directors, or the low paid assistants? I think it will stand or fall on the numbers of customers it attracts to use it. Unless they improve the system a bit and speed it up, it's going to fail without any help from you smile

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 12:54:06

quizqueen, you can be cleverer than that. Get a large trolley load and all your own bags and then keep asking for help or doing things, like keep picking the bag your are loading off the weight plate to put things in it.

You could possible cause chaos on the self service tills for at least 30 minutes and if you went with friends and you all did it at the same time............ grin

annodomini Mon 02-Dec-19 13:27:46

M0nica! I like it!

ReadyMeals Mon 02-Dec-19 14:33:05

Just so disrespectful to the staff. Sorry I couldn't treat them like that, they're always friendly and helpful to me. Fortunately I know you're all joking.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 15:52:20

Not remotely disrespectful to the staff. It will liven up their day.

How would any change, good or ill, come in if we did nothing at any time about anything, in case someone was upset [ confused

ReadyMeals Mon 02-Dec-19 16:02:39

Target the decision makers, not the innocent dogsbodies.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 17:04:49

That is how you target the decision makers. Just writing to them gets you nowhere. just a computer generated response from the press office.

Anyway it would be the store managers job to deal with the irrate customers while you (and friends) get kind help from the nice assistants.

As they say, you cannot make omelettes without breaking eggs - no, dropping the eggs would be going too far.

jo1book Wed 29-Jan-20 14:02:37

I really fancy this system. Always self pack as I can go at my own pace. The idea of phone zapping and straight into bag and then car sounds blissful. How do I sign up for this? Online or in Supermarket.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Jan-20 14:26:28

I can't remember the last time I did my "big shop" in an actual store, but our little Tesco Express where I sometimes top up has two self-service checkouts and one manned till. It's surprising how often there's a queue for self-service when you can just walk straight up to the manned checkout and get out so much quicker. I have no idea why this is, perhaps people just go with what they're used to.

craftergran Wed 29-Jan-20 15:10:01

Not sure how I think about it tbh. I have a problem everytime I use the self checkouts, with "unexpected item in the bagging area". Wish there was an unexpected item sometimes, ie a box of chocs or bouquet of flowers.
DH and I were just discussing whether we try the scanning machine that you carry around the store.
I think I'd give the mobile idea a try but if it's half as annoying as the self checkouts I'll just check my shopping delivered, which I do sometimes.

craftergran Wed 29-Jan-20 15:10:45

get not check

Ealdemodor Wed 29-Jan-20 15:16:25

Hope this barmy idea never takes off. Not at all customer friendly is it?

evianers Wed 29-Jan-20 15:31:58

Gasp! Whilst fully realising that I am in a minority here, and there are those on this forum who cannot understand it, but I don't have a mobile!!! How are we few expected to pay? Well, continuing to go to Lidl might well be an option..........

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:38:22

I hate self service tills with a passion. I will only use with supervision so that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

For many of us who live alone a few kind words from a shop assistant on a till at the weekend may be the only conversation we have with another human being for around 48 hours or more. It's a big NO from me.

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:52:25

I am new on here i am hoping to find my soulmate on this forum, it will be dream come, I have been single nearly all my life, spent more than half of my life chasing my dreams and career. At this point in my life right now i need a loving and caring woman in my life to settle done with, I want to wake up next to my soulmate every morning for the rest of my life. I want a woman who truly believes in LOVE. I have whatsapp to receive message from that special woman who will give us a chance to date and build something really great together and enjoy every beautiful moments that is ahead of us together while will explore the earth, here is my whatsapp +1.2135347280 ...Cheers