Gransnet forums

AIBU

dishwashers

(29 Posts)
jo1book Mon 25-Nov-19 12:50:04

to expect a d/washer to last more than 3 and a half years (bought April 2016)?
The control panel on the door of my machine has died. Neff are coming to look at it for £99! if duff, they will do me a deal on a new one. A new one is about £425 and I wouldn't want another Neff ,so in a quandary. Any hints.

Liz46 Mon 25-Nov-19 12:51:28

Ours is a Bosch and we have had it for ages. No problems.

crazyH Mon 25-Nov-19 12:55:35

I don't know if it's just me being lucky with my appliances, but I have an Indesit washing machine and dishwasher....10 years old and still going strong. My previous were the same about 15 years old. Replaced only because I was moving and felt like having new in my new kitchen. Btw, Indesit is one of
the cheapest brands.

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-Nov-19 12:55:55

I agree, I love Bosch. My last one lasted for many years- this one is fairly new.

Alima Mon 25-Nov-19 12:56:49

Not wishing to brag but my dishwasher is still going after nearly 44 years. He just needs the occasional aspirin to keep going.

annodomini Mon 25-Nov-19 13:16:29

I've had my slimline Bosch for 13 years. So far, it's very reliable. I love it! I previously had a flawless Hotpoint which lasted about 12 years until I moved to a smaller house and needed to have a smaller dishwasher which is fine as I'm on my own.

dragonfly46 Mon 25-Nov-19 13:18:03

We have a Miele and had it for ages

annsixty Mon 25-Nov-19 13:37:18

Only had 3 in many,many years.
First was a Servis, next, my most unfavourite, AEG and now a Smeg which I bought because it was on offer, so far it is fine.
After 3 and a half years I wouldn’t be happy at all.

WeekendVisit Mon 25-Nov-19 13:43:20

My last slimline dishwasher lasted five years. I hope my new one lasts longer. I have to get it plumbed in, you can't have the drain going down to the ground then up out of the drain, it can only run downwards, it's a small one that fits on a worktop.

FlexibleFriend Mon 25-Nov-19 13:48:47

I had the same problem with my Bosch it was uneconomical to repair at 13 months old they offered me a deal on a machine I didn't want. I then bought a Siemens which is from the same manufacturer, I upgraded and have had no problems with it.

merlotgran Mon 25-Nov-19 13:55:03

I only buy the cheaper makes of electrical equipment these days as built in obsolescence seems to strike after about four or five years and repairs are sometimes just not worth it.

At the moment my Indesit dishwasher is doing fine....It's four years old so fingers crossed.

Hetty58 Mon 25-Nov-19 13:55:53

They should be able to just fit a new control panel. I'd expect the machine to last about ten years as it doesn't have all the movement stresses of a washing machine (which should go for five to seven years).

I'm suspicious that they may be over keen to sell you a new one - so watch out and stick to your guns!

jo1book Mon 25-Nov-19 14:20:27

Yes, I am also suspicious as it is a Neff repairman coming. I have a horrible feeling the control panel is the most expensive part of the machine.My OH arranged all this - a great one for the triumph of hope over experience! My gut reaction would be to put the £99 towards a new machine but have been overruled.

sodapop Mon 25-Nov-19 14:28:26

Yes I agree with Merlotgran about built in obsolescence. I have always found the Indesit brand very satisfactory as well.
Think your gut reaction was probably right jolbook you can always say " I told you so " later.

jo1book Mon 25-Nov-19 14:37:28

I can get an Indesit integral for £208!
Before I "lean" on the old man, I want a simple machine with very few programmes. Any ideas?

Franbern Mon 25-Nov-19 14:37:42

My hotpoint washing machine was still going strongly when I left it in the house when I moved. Had purchased it in 2005, the first few years I was also doing washing for my ex. and he had a lot of problems with continence, so it worked very hard. Okay, for past ten years it has only had to do my twice weekly wash. The
great thing about this machine was that it had a 1600 rpm spin, and I could (manually) set that with any wash that I did.
Did not feel I could take the risk of moving such an elderly machine. So I purchased a new one with a 1600 spin, but have discovered that only about one programme on it uses that and I am not able to overide the set spins on most programmes.
Had a Zanussi full size dishwasher, that washed well enough, but the bottom basket did not work well as it was designed to be able to collapse part of it, and that broke after a couple of years and when I tried just to purchase a new basket (about 12 years back), I was quote in excess of a hundred pounds, so did not bother. Now I have a nice slim line with fall parts of basket fixerd (Hurrah), and cleans beautifully within a very short time.
Am going for one of the new Heat Pump tumble dryers, more expensive to purchase, but cheap to run. My original Indesit vented tumble dryer was wonderful, but some wires burnt out at the back and I had to replace it three years ago with a new one, never as happy with that as I had been with the old Indesit.
The manufacturers all seem to be under the illusion that we all want more and more programmes, and operated from our mobile phones. I am certain there is a large place in the market for a simple washing machine, with just five or six programmes - easily set, and probably similar for other machines.

jo1book Mon 25-Nov-19 14:41:26

What is annoying me is the £99 call out charge. It's probably to make you buy a new one,

Kerenhappuch Mon 25-Nov-19 14:50:50

I think I'm on my 4th dishwasher in 35 years. We got an indesit dishwasher as part of the contents when we bought a house we were renting, and that lasted aged, then suddenly started needing a lot of repairs, which isusually when I replace something. The second was a Zanussi, and the last 2 have been Bosch.

I think 3 1/2 years is an unreasonably short lifetime for a dishwasher, but maybe I've been lucky, A repairman once told me there's very little that can go wrong with them except the main components breaking down. So I guess it depends if you feel lucky about forking out for a new control panel, or if you want to upgrade at this point.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 25-Nov-19 14:55:14

As it is, presumably, out of guarantee, could you get a local repair man to look at it instead of someone employed by Neff? We have a local man who repairs all sorts of brands. I would be annoyed too at a £99 call-out charge. I think they are definitely trying it on!

Our Hotpoint dishwasher is 27 years old, but I don't think we would get another Hotpoint as they are now linked with Whirlpool and there was a problem with them going on fire. I would be thinking of a Bosch or a Siemens when I have to get a new one.

BlueSapphire Mon 25-Nov-19 20:50:51

Had a John Lewis one for a few years, no problems, touch wood. (Mustn't speak too soon!)

annep1 Mon 25-Nov-19 22:10:34

Extremely short time for any make of dishwasher even if it is out of guarantee. I would try another repairman.
We have slimline Bosch too.

RubyLou Mon 25-Nov-19 22:24:15

I have an appalling but patchy history with domestic appliances especially dishwashers. Our washing machines last much longer, currently a 7 year old John Lewis washing machine and a 2 year old Beko dishwasher. I buy from John Lewis to get the 3 year guarantee on their own brands and buy basically the cheapest appliances since I don't think the expensive ones work better or last longer. We've had problems with the water supply for the dishwasher and that buggered up 2 dishwashers when I tried to run them with no water.

I hate the expensive call-outs - £99 is half the cost of a new basic machine. These days I think of the planet and try to repair, a few years ago I'd have just chucked the old and bought a new because there was no cost incentive not to. Now I think of climate change and try to repair. I also try to find non-Brand repair people by word of mouth.

polyester57 Tue 26-Nov-19 02:21:42

I have a friend who keeps opening up her dishwasher mid-cycle to pop things in or take out. Her dishwashers only ever last a couple of years. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Do you ever do that? I don´t and am only onto my second one in 20 years.

NotAGran55 Tue 26-Nov-19 06:58:37

We bought the cheapest Miele 14 years ago and run it twice a day with no problems. I think they said that they were built to last 25 years .

Amagran Tue 26-Nov-19 07:18:39

Bosch, Neff and Siemens are, I think all the same firm. I had a Hotpoint for years - it was very good. Then I had a Bosch, which was ok but a bit sensitive to water (yes!!).

Now have a Beko. I was a bit suspicious about getting a machine significantly cheaper than the Bosch trio, but I am very pleased with it. It has wonderfully flexible loading options with various removable baskets and trays. It also has a 58 minute quick wash which we use nearly all the time - it is just as good as the 2-3 hour cycles even for lightly soiled pans.