Gransnet forums

AIBU

What can and can't be posted on GN

(70 Posts)
trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 16:55:18

I feel it's time we had some real guidelines about what is acceptable and what we musn't discuss without getting our knuckles rapped. As far as I can see- These are out- anti-Semitism, racism, right wing MSM so it's best to stick to -family breakdown, nice recipes, games and good reads.
Feel free to add your own NO-NOs or YESes!

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 17:23:14

While I admit that I didn't read all of every post on the AS thread, I read most but did not see anything which was actually anti-Semitic. There was some misinterpretation of posts, some angry posts and also some pretty disrespectful posts.

I have some sympathy for those posters who raised serious concerns and were trying to debate some important issues, but who were shot down for stating hard truths.

So, in relation to your OP, trisher, we should feel free to discuss anything we like, as long as a) it's not an uncomfortable truth or b) something which someone else might disagree with.

Now then, let's give it a go.
Would anyone like a nice recipe for tripe? Or would anyone like to borrow my copy of Alice in Wonderland?

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 17:30:45

I think there has been enough tripe for one day.

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 17:32:15

trisher you know the guidelines full well, so are you angling for sympathy now?

Smileless2012 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:34:40

Personal insults, bullying, stalking and accusing posters of posting simultaneously under more than one name.

Fennel Sun 01-Dec-19 17:38:01

" Smileless2012 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:34:40
Personal insults, bullying, stalking and accusing posters of posting simultaneously under more than one name."
I didn't see any of that on the thread referred to.

ninathenana Sun 01-Dec-19 17:41:38

Thread about a thread.......isn't that a No, No

muffinthemoo Sun 01-Dec-19 17:46:45

The forum needs more active moderation.

I understand that the site owners have made a conscious decision to leave the forum very lightly moderated, but that has clearly not been working very well for some time.

There is now a level of personal animosity between numerous posters that is unpleasant to see; much of which could have been avoided from developing if moderators had stepped into some discussions earlier on and separated the parties, so to speak.

Smileless, I agree that personal attacks and in particular, accusing other posters of “lying” and “making it up” have become common currency in the past two years I have lurked (occasional posts) the forum. It is very unfortunate as even if the poster IS embellishing a bit, the resulting pile on must surely deter other folk from posting their own personal troubles. There are a number of subforums here devoted to various types of interpersonal relationships and advice, and increasingly you would have to be awful brave to come looking for any advice.

Moreover, a lot of these accusations of posting in bad faith seem to be made without any actual foundation. It is worth remembering that even if the OP is a ‘fake’, other people with similar real problems may well be reading the thread and advice given. It is not always easy to assume good faith and extend grace to strangers on the internet, but it is always worth the effort. You never know who may be reading and how they may be impacted by a helpful piece of advice.

Hopefully some of the personal animosity will die down once the election is past, but that might well be optimistic.

Smileless2012 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:49:16

I thought it was a question about posting on GN in general Fennel, not to a specific thread.

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 17:52:50

We all know the guidelines, and don’t need a thread on it.

Fennel Sun 01-Dec-19 17:56:24

@ smileless
i was agreeing with you!

Elegran Sun 01-Dec-19 18:01:55

I was out all day yesterday. I must have missed some fireworks.

MaizieD Sun 01-Dec-19 18:06:35

So, the AS thread has been pulled. Any reason given?

trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 18:21:07

Breeches guide)lines (but I can't talk about it!)
It s a thread about what is suitable for GN.
Racism- No
Macrame -yes

kittylester Sun 01-Dec-19 18:27:14

Bugger - missed it again - story of my life!!

Fennel Sun 01-Dec-19 18:30:42

Mention Hitler - No.
Which I found out on a WW2 forum which I belong to.
Severely rebuked.

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 18:37:44

Ah! Macrame - isn't that Lace-making with a single bobbin, or shuttle - or is that Tatting? I think they both involve addressing knotty issues, so maybe not appropriate here?

Perhaps I'll have a go, anyway, while I eat my vanilla cake.

Farmor15 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:42:46

Nice one GranE smile

As Muffin said, there seems to be a lot of personal animosity for some time now. Some particular posters seem to jump on each other at every opportunity. Assuming they aren't personally acquainted, it must be just due to opinions they have posted previously. Not sure how it can be dealt with though.

Gonegirl Sun 01-Dec-19 18:48:28

Perhaps the thread was anti-Semitic? (I don't know. Didn't read it)

Tangerine Sun 01-Dec-19 18:54:30

I've never really understood why people would wish to post under two separate names but imagine it is because they wish to stir up trouble by pretending to be on opposing sides.

Perhaps I am unkind but this seems very odd behaviour and the kindest interpretation is that it is very childish.

Sometimes I am surprised by the personal remarks people make on Gransnet and wonder if they would make such remarks to people's faces.

I try and give measured and fair responses but perhaps they are considered boring.

kircubbin2000 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:08:48

How can you have 2 separate names and who would know anyway. You would need a new email address I think.

Tangerine Sun 01-Dec-19 19:15:52

I guess people recognise the way a post is phrased. Not sure that I would but, if you really wished to do so, perhaps it is possible.

I think there are specific tools that exist to examine text and detect who wrote something but suspect no-one has gone to such lengths!

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 19:23:24

Not boring at all, Tangerine. I like measured and fair responses - they are what keep a meaningful and worthwhile discussion going.

I confess that I am feeling a little guilty at the moment on the subject of two usernames. I am not posting under my usual username - for some reason which I cannot fathom GN has defaulted me back to one I used ages ago and which I was forced to abandon, and now it won't accept my current one, which I've got used to. GNHQ is being very patient trying to sort it out for me, but meanwhile I feel somewhat disorientated!

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 19:29:39

I think that my problem, kircubbin2000, may be to do with the fact that Google doesn't differentiate now between googlemail and gmail, but GN does! It was never my intention to have two personas - I can barely cope with one!! confused grin

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:35:42

kittylester me too!
What? When? Who?

Macramè- are you teaching it * trisher*
Something I've always wanted to try! I could hang plants all round my conservatory just like the 1960s

Some threads should have been deleted imo but I missed that one, it can't have been as bad as some surely, where a poster was being unmercifully bullied.