Gransnet forums

AIBU

What can and can't be posted on GN

(71 Posts)
trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 16:55:18

I feel it's time we had some real guidelines about what is acceptable and what we musn't discuss without getting our knuckles rapped. As far as I can see- These are out- anti-Semitism, racism, right wing MSM so it's best to stick to -family breakdown, nice recipes, games and good reads.
Feel free to add your own NO-NOs or YESes!

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:37:30

Fennel that is ridiculous. Hitler existed. Fact
No-one can airbrush him out of history

Chewbacca Sun 01-Dec-19 19:38:17

How can you have 2 separate names and who would know anyway. You would need a new email address I think.

That's what Smileless and I kept saying kircubbin, but we weren't believed by a couple of new posters who were adamant that we were "sockpuppets". Even when GNHQ posted assurances that we are 2 genuine, long standing members, the accusations continued. Not worth arguing about! grin

craftyone Sun 01-Dec-19 19:38:45

The F word is allowed.

GN low standards imo

Smileless2012 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:41:45

Sorry Fennel I didn't realise.

It was just too much wasn't it Chewbacca Mr. S. and I had to google what a 'sock puppet' was because we had no ideahmm

Chewbacca Sun 01-Dec-19 19:45:08

Neither had I Smileless! But every day's a school day on GN! grin

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:48:33

I used to make sock puppets for my DC

Perhaps we could have a thread about that?

Chewbacca Sun 01-Dec-19 19:50:33

What, with Smileless on one hand and me on the other Callistemon? Like these?

jura2 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:52:30

''I think there has been enough tripe for one day''

now that kind of tripe I can't take at all ...

but I am great at macramé for sure.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:55:57

They're lovely, Chewacca
And I'm sure they're an excellent likeness grin

trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 19:56:12

Callistemon* sorry it is so long since I did any macrame I don't think I could teach anyone.
I do like sock puppets and I've made a lot.
jura2 you're the macrame master!

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:58:33

Chewbacca sorry

GagaJo Sun 01-Dec-19 19:58:52

GranE, I feel that tripe is a contentious topic. Too much for Gransnet. Someone is sure to take offense.

Chewbacca Sun 01-Dec-19 20:01:30

I'm the pretty pink one on the left Callistemon.
Smileless is the cross eyed green one on the right! grin

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 20:12:51

Chewbacca ? those sock puppets are so cute ...I want one.

trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 20:14:01

Ooh couldn't that be construed as a personal remark? Should I report it????

Chewbacca Sun 01-Dec-19 20:14:41

But which one Lemon? Me? Or Smileless?

Think carefully now.........!

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 20:15:47

You are right GagaJo, it is a little controversial.

Do you think it is ok to talk about dishes which get full of hot air and all puffed up when heat is applied, like souffles and bread and ......?

sodapop Sun 01-Dec-19 20:28:41

Well I for one do not want to be nannied by HQ. We are adults with a lot of life experience, I'm sure we can cope with unpleasant or argumentative posts. If a thread is not to our liking then we don't need to be involved with it.
Surely we don't want a bland, little old lady website.
Just for the record I hate tripe smile

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 20:38:33

It should be said ( for those who fortunately missed it) that it was a thread on anti-semitism ....which had quite a few....shall we say thoughtless in the extreme, remarks aimed at the Chief Rabbi and Jewish people, with many denials about problems in the LP.

This whole thread is, yes! A thread about a thread once again.

Smileless2012 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:48:34

No, no, no Chewbacca I am the pretty one in pink on the left and you are cross eyed one on the rightgrin

Chewbacca Sun 01-Dec-19 20:54:59

Smileless; I'll fight you for it!

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 21:02:25

Honestly you two, what are you like! ?

GagaJo Sun 01-Dec-19 21:32:47

Sodapop, Well I for one do not want to be nannied by HQ. We are adults with a lot of life experience, I'm sure we can cope with unpleasant or argumentative posts. If a thread is not to our liking then we don't need to be involved with it. Surely we don't want a bland, little old lady website. Just for the record I hate tripe smile

Couldn't agree more! I know there are people who I will violently disagree with and who will violently disagree with me. I'll say my opinion, which will be non-racist/discriminatory, because that is my determined world view and then retire. Because, frankly, I can't be arsed arguing about the nth degree of a topic when it's already been covered.

And for the record, I have EATEN tripe, in Catalonia. I pretended to myself I didn't know it was tripe to enable me to quash my gag reflex, and honestly, it was pretty tasteless, albeit covered in tomato and garlic. But it WAS very greasy so won't be repeating the experience.

trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 22:37:56

Don't knowwhat you are talking about lemon this is not a thread about a thread, it is obviously a thread about puppets and other pastimes suitable for old ladies.

trisher Sun 01-Dec-19 22:40:48

My MIL used to cook tripe and onions, the smell was awful but I had to eat some to show respect (we did in those days!). It was awful. I did eventually dare to tell er I didn't like it.