Gransnet forums

AIBU

Greta Thunberg : Named Time’s youngest Person of the Year.

(216 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 14:15:49

Well deserved IMO, we need more & more people to get on board with this.

I for one am not as aware & as active as I should be with regard to what I buy & what I throw away , recycle etc ,etc

Listening to her speeches & efforts helps me to remind me that I could to do better.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 19:28:20

TLWOOLY1 so, you are going stop all the countries in the world using oil are you? All by yourself? Amazing. Respect.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 19:35:28

I think these days a formal education and relevant qualifications are essential if she's going to continue to be taken seriously. Once the 'child eco warrior' appeal wears off she's going to have to hold her own with scientists and climate experts.

Taking time out and 'home schooling' are contradictory terms.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 19:41:41

I bet any university will be glad to have her.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 19:51:28

Very likely, gonegirl but surely she will still have to meet the entry criteria.

Sixteen plus can be a difficult age to get the little dears to knuckle down and study having just emerged from one set of exams.

#voiceofexperience grin

Fiachna50 Wed 11-Dec-19 19:55:20

Good luck to Greta, if she does go onto further education. However, there seems to be no concrete plan as to what we are going to do about Climate Change. We have had the protests, the upheaval, the lectures, all very well but what now? Her manner makes me want to switch off and I think the way people worship her is over the top. It's like you can't say anything critical about her but people are ready to jump down your throat. I have been doing my best for the planet long before she was born, as have many others. There is much bandwagon jumping and many people support Greta as the new trendy thing to follow. What is there of any substance? Why isn't she in USA, Russia, China and India to name but a few lecturing those countries?

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 19:57:03

I bet she knows a lot of it already. Her parents would be well into it all. She'll probably get an easy-peasey offer.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 19:59:28

Well, she can't be everywhere Fiachna especially considering her views on flying. But the message travels well.

She has stirred so many countries up. Made them think about how awful this is.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 20:00:52

Well she shouldn't.....Sorry.

I've just read that David Bellamy has died. He was an inspirational conservationist who influenced a generation.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 20:01:48

She did get the message through pretty well to Trump, even though the idiot would never admit it. And India is definitely on board.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 20:07:04

That's very sad. Wonder how old he was.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 20:09:08

Eighty six.

He used to be impersonated and have jokes made about his larger than life personality but he certainly knew how to get through to young people. Definitely a man of his time.

QuaintIrene Wed 11-Dec-19 20:12:11

I think it’s deserved. For the awareness she has raised. She is influential on a massive scale amongst the young especially.
But, she has taken on so much. She looks like she is going into meltdown most of the time. It can’t be good for anyone let alone a youngster.
Maybe concentrating on studying will do her some good. Although it’s still all pressure. She seems to be 100% “on” in her life, the kind of person she is ?
She has Aspergers . Me too. Bees in bonnets buzz very loudly. I get that. But it’s not always healthy.
I hope she doesn’t burn out.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 20:14:32

Yes. He was very good.

I agree with all you say QuaintIrene.

love0c Wed 11-Dec-19 20:23:38

I tend to take a different view to many people. I find it rather unsettling that her parents feels it acceptable to 'use' their autistic child to their own ends. She is simply repeating their views. They have coached her well. It it was anything other than climate change that they had coached her in I feel they would be questioned regarding the use of her in this way. Very sad indeed. Ultimately this young girl will pay their price.

Grammaretto Wed 11-Dec-19 20:30:48

I don't know how anyone can dislike her!
She is unsettling, yes, but all the great gurus have been unsettling. It goes with the territory.

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 20:39:59

Those of you who purport to be worried about the affect of her actions & the toil it may take on her mental health obviously do not understand Aspergers , if you did you would know that it would cause her more stress if she were not able to voice those concerns .

NotTooOld Wed 11-Dec-19 21:14:06

Well I think she's weird. How many 16 year olds wear their hair in plaits and no makeup? Someone is pulling her strings for sure.

crystaltipps Wed 11-Dec-19 21:18:17

Those who don’t think a 16 year old can have her own views or articulate a sentence don’t know many 16 year olds. As for criticising her hair and ( lack of ) make up - words fail.

crystaltipps Wed 11-Dec-19 21:20:53

I expect her critics would rather she had fake tan, trowelled on make up, false nails and spent her time watching Love Island. People are allowed to be different. How anyone can hate a 16 year old who hasn’t done you any harm beats me,

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 21:21:02

Maybe , but who is pulling the strings of the Girls wearing Makeup & trendy hairstyles ?( some call it sexualising )

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 21:25:54

Two of my granddaughters admire GT and would be horrified to think anyone is influenced by her looks or style.

One of them works in the film industry (plenty of make-up there) and the other one is a med student. She has mild Aspergers and is so focussed I'd put my money on her decision making any day.

GT is inspiring the young. That's what counts. If our generation thinks otherwise it's not going to make a jot of difference

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Dec-19 22:48:04

I too have a feeling that little Miss Crosspatch is being manipulated.

She certainly is a strange little thing.

I wonder what sort of adult she will turn into?

Maybe she will have adopted another cause to save us all from ourselves!

Callistemon Wed 11-Dec-19 23:42:54

David Bellamy was ditched by the BBC and the media because he was sceptical about global warming.

Greta certainly gets her message across.
However, I looked at her on TV this evening and noticed how thin she looked.
Knowing she had an eating disorder when she was about 11, I wondered if this is all taking a toll on her.

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Dec-19 01:33:59

Of course she is being manipulated, does everyone think these speeches are her own creation? As for the poster who called her a guru, that is exactly what I mean. The status this girl has been given is ridiculous. Sadly, it will do her no favours in life. Fame is it's own poisoned chalice as Greta will discover. When all the young followers move on to the next 'big thing' I think sadly Greta will discover how fickle her public following can be. Im sorry but I still maintain people were working to save our planet long before she ever came on the scene. That book of hers was a farce, she is now regarded as an author. Well I don't think she has written anything but her parents, spin doctors and all the folk manipulating her will be doing very nicely out of this. Unfortunately, they all seem to have no concern for this young person because if they were concerned, they would return her to school. As for the poster who said India was on board to support measures for saving our planet, I have seen no evidence of this. Words are easy. Stacey Dooley did an excellent documentary on the fashion industry and the pollution it causes. Why isn't she on the cover of TIME?

rosecarmel Thu 12-Dec-19 02:32:40

She's being influenced by others and is herself influencing others- Her message is completely clear and yet clearly not completely accurate-

In a little over 1 year she will be an adult, at which point she will have to assume responsibility for the climate crisis as well- She will have to change her message should she continue to be the outspoken activist she is today-