Gransnet forums

AIBU

Greta Thunberg : Named Time’s youngest Person of the Year.

(216 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 14:15:49

Well deserved IMO, we need more & more people to get on board with this.

I for one am not as aware & as active as I should be with regard to what I buy & what I throw away , recycle etc ,etc

Listening to her speeches & efforts helps me to remind me that I could to do better.

gallusquine Thu 12-Dec-19 02:54:46

Old women hating on a child - how laudable hmm

harrigran Thu 12-Dec-19 08:34:05

She is a puppet getting the message across for her parents. If a middle aged couple stood up and spouted what she does they would be considered just a couple of cranks.
Place a child in the limelight and it becomes a whole different ball game.

Bridgeit Thu 12-Dec-19 08:48:03

It is very strange to me to read some of the words used by some adults on here, how strange some don’t mind if young people are influenced by fashion, pop stars ,dieting ,drugs alcohol tattoos false boobs lip fillers etc.
But my goodness if they focus on world issues they are seen as odd. ?

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 09:36:00

little Miss Crosspatch

What kind of women actually come on Gransnet?

merlotgran Thu 12-Dec-19 09:48:49

little Miss Crosspatch

Not even original. It's a Jeremy Clarkson quote.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 09:49:57

Maybe we should be hoping that she doesn't go on to a future at university. Because once we stop hearing from her, and XR, you can bet your life governments will start slacking off. And more of the planet will die.

Bridgeit Thu 12-Dec-19 09:51:36

Ha ha I used to be called that as a child ( no surprise)

What kind ? All kinds , is there a ‘kind ‘ ? Who decides .?

Bridgeit Thu 12-Dec-19 09:52:21

Ohh Gonegirl ??

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 10:00:32

I don't think you would have been called it for the same purpose Bridgeit, ie denigration. Or by people who just wanted to put you down.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 10:01:47

Perhaps best not to go into my opinion of some of the women on this website.

JenniferEccles Thu 12-Dec-19 10:28:08

Well I didn’t claim it was a phrase I had thought up did I?

I had read it but I couldn’t remember who had said it - I just thought it was a very appropriate expression for her !

I am sure anyone who remembers her rather hysterical outburst at the ‘climate change’ conference and can picture that angry little face , will agree.

Or maybe not. I know she divides opinion but honestly, it was a lighthearted comment meant as a joke.

inkcog Thu 12-Dec-19 10:31:43

Like Princess Diana, Meghan and others, we do not know Greta.

She seems to me to be a force for good in a dark world.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:41:03

Boyan Slat the Duch teenager has not had anywhere near the publicity that Greta T has, but please read this article from Time Magazine.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:42:17

Oops sorry he started his "invention" whilst still a teenager he is now early 20's.

crystaltipps Thu 12-Dec-19 10:42:50

Obviously people on here don’t believe that pollution, species extinction and climate change are important issues or worthy of attention. Shoot the messenger why don’t you. Oh yes that’s what happened to Malala when she was 15 and spoke up for girls education. Should have kept her mouth shut.

Ellianne Thu 12-Dec-19 11:25:31

I'm trying not to be cynical here but is it any surprise that the award is given by a media organisation (The Times) which obviously gets great mileage from her exposure?

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 11:28:22

Ouch! There's some real bitchiness on here. Why? What are you afraid of, you nay sayers?

This young girl has put her head above the parapet for something she believes in, and lo and behold she is shot at!

What is the point of the bitchy comments? Do you just want the worry about the climate crisis to go away and you can return to your comfortable lives without any personal guilt or shame?

Or do you seriously think we should leave it all to the politicians and world leaders and that a young girl has no right to speak!
Patronising piffle. In fact I actually think some of you are hoaxing for the fun of it!! grin angry

Marjgran Thu 12-Dec-19 11:49:15

What a lot of unpleasant old women. Patronising a child who is stating the obvious inconvenient truth about climate change. The comments that most enrage me are those that say “I / someone else / have been saving the planet for years” - all I can say is “well, that worked out well, didn’t it?”. The planet will continue but what Greta and those she has inspired say is that humanity will be f-cked if we don’t act, not just little folk but the countries and the corporations. We are at a cliff edge and she is highlighting that. She doesn’t need to have all the answers (and boy, wouldn’t the patronisers hate her even more if she claimed to), she constantly references the science and the scientists...

rosecarmel Thu 12-Dec-19 11:51:13

Will she upon her 18th birthday shame, scold and hold herself accountable for stealing her own future?

Marjgran Thu 12-Dec-19 11:57:35

And they say wisdom comes with age - many grans on this thread prove otherwise, dishing up snarky-ness wrapped up in faux concern for Greta’s well-being. Listen to the message don’t just shoot the messenger.

rosecarmel Thu 12-Dec-19 12:12:59

That's what they say, that wisdom comes with age- Yet it's the very same people that buy into what one person says and by doing so create even more of a mess-

Is there a climate crisis? Absolutely- Is Greta informative? Absolutely- Is she also critical, snarly, condescending and smug? Absolutely- And she just won an award for it-

AllTheLs Thu 12-Dec-19 12:17:43

Absolutely it's well-deserved. I've also heard that she's being considered for some sort of Nobel Prize. Good for her! Wish I had her guts.

Paperbackwriter Thu 12-Dec-19 12:17:58

I hope you lot who complain about Greta's eyes (Her eyes? What's the matter with you people, FFS) are never on a jury. I can just see you: "He's got a guilty look about him.." etc.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 12:23:32

You have to remember, when she was "snarly", she was in the US with Trump in the audience.

sandelf Thu 12-Dec-19 12:25:07

Both sides of the fence here. I totally agree that she is not OK as a person - undernourished yet pampered. BUT she is giving the issue of how mankind is using up earth's resources a higher profile and making some who've not thought about these things yet, wonder what the fuss is about. Those of us who were environmentally aware many years ago need all the help we can get. smile