Gransnet forums

AIBU

Greta Thunberg : Named Time’s youngest Person of the Year.

(216 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 14:15:49

Well deserved IMO, we need more & more people to get on board with this.

I for one am not as aware & as active as I should be with regard to what I buy & what I throw away , recycle etc ,etc

Listening to her speeches & efforts helps me to remind me that I could to do better.

Maremia Fri 13-Dec-19 10:27:18

Apologies...leyburn.

Yehbutnobut Sat 14-Dec-19 23:14:48

See that a Trump has tweeted more offensive remarks about her. How can I be allowed that the President of the USA can cyber-bully a 16 year old?

Yehbutnobut Sat 14-Dec-19 23:15:44

Thinking on...probably furious he didn’t get the award.

merlotgran Sat 14-Dec-19 23:41:07

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9do5DWA_hnI

It had to be done. grin

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 00:10:38

Hmmm... It sounds to me as if some of you are jealous of GT. Don't be. With her Aspbergers she faces many challenges most of us don't.

And yet, she was able to bring climate change to the world's attention in the way some of the most distinguished scientists could not. Yes, sometimes she looks or sounds a little odd b/c of her disability, no doubt. But she had the courage to stand up to the United Nations. How many of us could do that?

She wasn't criticizing you and me, she was challenging the world leaders. No doubt, she exaggerated, but isn't that typical for teenagers? The point, IMO, is that young people are watching, and young people are the future - these leaders have young people's future in their hands, etc.

I applaud GT for standing up for the environment and her generation. Also, IMO, she did a lot for kids w/ Aspbergers, showing that they can make a contribution to the world's needs, too.

Googling shows me that Time chooses the person they think has made the most impact that year, it doesn't necessarily mean they like them, agree w/ them, etc., FWIW.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Dec-19 00:12:06

Greta is taking a break, just for a little while, she has said.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 10:07:26

For some much-needed R & R presumably.

elastic Sun 15-Dec-19 10:17:34

I did love the gaff she made in a recent unscripted speech when she said the authorities should be "put up against the wall". grin

Apparently in Sweden it just means made to give truthful answers. She has apologised and reiterated that she is for strictly non-violent tactics.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 10:22:44

grin

gillybob Sun 15-Dec-19 10:37:36

I think that’s what most people would take it to mean these days elastic. Of course if someone said it here on GN there would be a Spanish enquiry and calls for the perpetrator “to be put up against the wall” in the worst possible sense.

Daren’t say a word against GT .

Yehbutnobut Sun 15-Dec-19 14:32:57

elastic how quaint that an old lady finds it acceptable to mock a 16-year old who isn’t even speaking in her first language ??

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 16:41:47

I didn't think that elastic was criticising Greta as such, she was clarifying and stating what the phrase means in Swedish.

quaint haven't heard that for years.
As it means 'attractively unusual or old-fashioned' I take it you were not criticising either.

elastic Sun 15-Dec-19 21:55:18

No way was I criticising Greta! I was just passing on a funny story. Where was the mockery? I wouldn't dream of criticising that young woman. I am one of her number 1 fans.

elastic Sun 15-Dec-19 21:56:18

And not so much of the old thank you.

rosecarmel Sun 15-Dec-19 23:18:17

Donald Trump also landed on the cover of Time magazine when awarded person of the year-

He's a huge supporter of fossil fuels-

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 16-Dec-19 04:00:52

The winner of the award features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year" It's all about the impact a person has made.

Hitler was on the cover in 1938, Stalin in 1939 and 1942, and Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979. Trump was on the cover simply because he was elected president. Having said that, these days the choice is made with regard to the potential impact on advertising revenue of any backlash.

Greta is an excellent choice.

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 06:00:35

Apologies elastic

rosecarmel Mon 16-Dec-19 07:03:22

Yes, because being elected president is simple, having little to do with influencing election year/s events .. smile

LullyDully Mon 16-Dec-19 08:34:26

To me Greta T is a catalyst in this inevitable process of coming to terms with the problems the World is in.

We should listen to her,( maybe with a pinch of salt, maybe not), adapt our ways, convince
the people of the planet to do likewise, trust that technological can help us at this late stage and hope for the best.

Oh and hope the USA gets rid of Trump.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:57:04

Unfortunately her PR people need to sort themselves out.

GT tweeted a picture of herself on the floor on a German Train surrounded by luggage..........this photo was staged.

The German Rail Company have put out a statement saying that Greta had a seat in first class, in which she spent the journey, verified by the staff who served her and other passengers.

Negative publicity like this will be detrimental to her and deflect from her climate change message.

Callistemon Mon 16-Dec-19 09:37:06

Oh dear, she must have the same PR firm as Corbyn, Grannygravy.
Look how Traingate has ended.

All she needs to do is speak the truth as she sees it and not start resorting to daft publicity stunts.

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 09:53:04

It wasn't staged! And she wasn't complaining. She was glad trains are overcrowded because it show public transport is being used.

She had a seat for about 4 hours of her very long journey. Some of time she sat quite happily on the floor.

hmm

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 09:54:11

Yawn.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 09:55:30

elastic why did she post the picture of her on the floor, and not one of her sitting in her first class seat?

I am not against GT, but things like this are detracting from her message.......

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 10:04:58

No idea. Perhaps she was just glad to be homeward bound at last. (A picture of her in a train seat would be pretty boring)

Any chance to have a go!!!! hmm again