Gransnet forums

AIBU

Live in partner financial contribution

(43 Posts)
Mambypamby Mon 06-Jan-20 14:03:31

Hi, first time poster but been reading and enjoying for weeks! AIBU? I am 60 soon to be 61 and met my 57 year old partner online in the summer of 2018. He was going through a divorce living separately under the same roof, still has what he calls “dependents” as his adult kids are still not independent. Technically only one is legally financially dependent. Partner moved in pretty quickly - at our age we know what we want - his divorce is now final. I’m feeling a little “convenient” for him. He contributes financially 50/50 split for all bills, food etc. When we go out he usually pays. Also does the odd job that needs doing as he’s very handy DIY wise! In return he gets very well looked after. Starting to feel a little “used” as I heard him bragging about his easy lifestyle to a mate. Must add my house is mortgage free so no rent etc to pay. He also owns the family home with the ex (also mortgage free) but he contributes to upkeep and maintenance. Why do I feel this way?

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 19:54:37

DH got engaged after six weeks and his parents got engaged after a long weekend (he was in the RAF so hardly saw each other between the engagement and wedding a year later!)

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 19:54:54

DH and I obviously!

Mambypamby Mon 06-Jan-20 20:54:28

That’s moving quickly!

M0nica Tue 07-Jan-20 09:41:10

SirChenjin, my godson did that: go from meeting to engagement in a weekend and married when he returned from his next stint at sea, he was in the Navy, not the RAF.

In his case, sadly, he married in haste and repented at leisure

Mambypamby Tue 07-Jan-20 16:19:10

Hi Hetty. Having reflected on everyone’s thoughts here I think this is the underlying insecurity I had although Grannyknot has made me think about what is it more that I’d like him to do. I guess my real resentment is the sharing of my space with someone who seems to take it for granted. His family home as I’ve already said was chaotic and busy with lots of demands on him as a breadwinner which he’s glad to be out of because he was the one who was taken for granted but he did say once he missed the banter; I’ve got used to a much more peaceful life since my boys moved on. Makes me feel I’m a bit too staid for him. Also - he’s quite heavy handed and things are getting mysteriously broken/general wear and tear is more visible.

I guess overall I’ve got used to being my own person and if I’m ever to live with a companion I will just have to suck it up! (Or live with the alternatives!)

V3ra Tue 07-Jan-20 17:30:37

There was a story on the news earlier about how lots of people are in a committed relationship but don't live together these days as they like their own space.
It's a big enough thing setting up home from scratch as a young couple, but having someone move in to your house at an older age must take a lot of negotiation or tongue biting!
My husband goes on a boys golfing holiday for a week every September and I love having the house to myself. But then if there's a DIY job to do I expect him to do it. So overall I'm happier he's here!
It's early days for the two of you but could you compile a pros and cons list to help you think through if you're better with him there or not?

Naty Tue 07-Jan-20 18:44:30

I think. something else may be bothering you. It doesn't sound like he's taking advantage of you. If anything, he takes you out and treats you... maybe you are resentful that more of his income should be going to pad your lifestyle (nothing wrong with that!!!!). You don't mention having kids, so maybe that's why...

I understand that he'd struggle A LOT if he didn't have your mortgage free home to go to, though. If he isn't treating you well or good to you in other ways than financial, be careful.

Naty Tue 07-Jan-20 18:49:24

Okay, I've just read your responses. If you truly like him/love him and he feels the same and shows you through actions, you'll work it out with clear communication and transparency. Yes, he left a chaotic household and is breathing more easily now. I'd have a few insecurities as well..

...are you both more or less just as physically attractive? Do you have common interests and decent conversation?

Best of luck!

Mambypamby Tue 07-Jan-20 23:06:52

Naty I feel you’ve hit on something here! Not blowing my own trumpet but trying to gain some insight, I think he realises I’m more attractive than him but he’s 3 and a half years younger - a sort of trade off I guess. My insecurities are around if he might think I’m grateful to have him, being a younger man, and I would therefore put up with it. This is at the root of it. Comments from my mother don’t help as she disapproves of his younger status saying he’s taking advantage etc. because I’m grateful. She even remarked that I look older than him once in a bid to have me dump him! (That’s another whole story). Just to say that friends, colleagues and acquaintances including his parents, think we’re well-matched in the attraction/age stakes or that I have the edge. Sorry if I sound arrogant but just trying to paint a picture as I clearly am not reassured by their kind words.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 08-Jan-20 00:04:44

The age gap isn't that much and I wouldn't worry about it. Mr B is younger than me by nearly 2 years, but we don't notice it, its how we get on that counts.

Its early days yet and you both sorting out things your, he seems to be fair about paying his way and his bragging, was I think more of look how happy and good life is for me.

You are having to put up with a lot from outside, your mother, his AC being rude and on top of this your own insecurities. If it was me, well I would make sure legally I was covered and go for it, as long as you and he are both happy, life is just to short.

welbeck Wed 08-Jan-20 01:51:22

trust your instincts.
not saying he is a bad person, or up to anything, or a conman, but the majority of men are not; that's not a reason to live with them, or rather have them living with you in your territory.
if he'd had his own place when you met, you probably would not have moved in together.
this all seems rushed. his flat purchase fell through, and you appeared on the horizon, with a nice, well-run house and open to hooking up. it was v convenient. I think you both enjoyed a change, someone to be romantic with, but...
I doubt that it has legs. it will not run and run. and your doubts, annoyances, and resentment will grow.
i'd say beware. he is not fully committed to you, rather enjoying a kind of friend with benefits and board/lodging.

SparklyGrandma Wed 08-Jan-20 02:07:51

Did you really want him living with you? Would you feel happier if he rented his own flat nearby?

Mambypamby Wed 08-Jan-20 12:09:15

Thank you for your comments Barmey I feel reassured that my insecurities are just the little voices I’ve been bombarded with in my past. I feel much lighter about it now and will make the necessary arrangements for my peace of mind asset-wise. I’m going to remind myself that life is for living.

Mambypamby Wed 08-Jan-20 12:16:24

Thanks Welbeck I think you’ve tuned in to my insecurities and the advice to listen to my instincts is good. My intuition and instincts tell me to go for it - it’s good more than not - but my independent head’s nose is put out of joint! If that makes any sense!
I think I just need to let go. I’m a naturally cautious person and I think this is my sensible side disallowing my need for romance and fun to play. Balance is everything. At the end of the day, does it really matter if he’s not as careful with using my “things” as much as I am? Does it matter that I have his “things” around me when I’m an ardent cleaner-upper? I guess time will tell!

Luckygirl Wed 08-Jan-20 15:04:24

1. Stop worrying about what other people think. It is what you think that matters, and others' views should not be allowed to undermine you.
2. Do you love this man - and do you enjoy the things you do together?
3. Is the idea that he is not pulling his weight yours, or does it come from outside? (see No.1 above)
4. His family are bound to have mixed feelings about you in a broken family situation.
5. Might it be a positive thing if he talks about how happy his life is with you?

I would get on and enjoy this lovely opportunity that has come your way! smile

JenniferEccles Wed 08-Jan-20 16:42:20

There’s obviously something niggling away in the background for you to come on here to ask advice.

You moved in together quickly so unless that happened ages ago, you should still be in the ‘loved up’ sort of honeymoon period surely, not having doubts already.

I would second the advice to seek legal clarification as regards your house.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 16:55:57

Totally agree with JenniferEccles