Gransnet forums

AIBU

..to find the behaviour of Brexit MEPs rude and embarassing

(76 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 29-Jan-20 19:44:27

After watching the behaviour of the Brexit party MEPs today I feel embarrassed to be British - childish, appallingly rude and immature, I just hope the EU doesn't think they represent the British people.

Callistemon Wed 29-Jan-20 22:42:57

It belongs to us all, it is not the flag of the Brexit Party.

Ginny42 Wed 29-Jan-20 22:49:35

Is there any point in objecting pinkquartz? Would such people even care what we think? If NF is correct they, and he of course, have been on a jolly. Remember his rant to the MEPs that they'd never done a day's work in their lives?

I expect he's got something in the pipeline so boost his hefty EU pension. I like to think their behaviour today would make them unemployable elsewhere.

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jan-20 22:52:09

I voted to Leave. I love Europe but not the EU. Picking up their desk flags and waving them about was a juvenile display. His speech would have had more gravitas without the silly pantomime. I can only think he got carried away with the euphoria of it all. No excuse though, he must have known the rules.

mumofmadboys Wed 29-Jan-20 23:18:45

It was just very embarrassing for the British people especially when it was alongside some lovely goodbyes from other leaders. They behaved like immature schoolchildren.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Jan-20 23:37:29

hideous and shameful is all I will say

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Jan-20 23:44:01

It must have been planned or they wouldn’t have had the silly little flags to wave about, surely?

Ginny42 Wed 29-Jan-20 23:47:11

And they were being paid to be there, so it was in the 'firm's' time so to speak.

growstuff Thu 30-Jan-20 03:11:05

Something a little more uplifting …

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwC1E6TH0f8

PamelaJ1 Thu 30-Jan-20 05:58:50

It was appalling. Let’s hope we don’t have to see anything more of him.
He was bad enough but, although I’ve never much liked Anne Widdecombe, I was saddened to see someone who has devoted her life to main stream politics waving her flag too.

PamelaJ1 Thu 30-Jan-20 05:59:40

Do we all agree? Is this a first on GN?

Sparkling Thu 30-Jan-20 07:14:00

Embarrassing infantile behaviour, how dare they , I wanted Brexit but ashamed of that rabble.. Farage has no place now and will disappear from whence he came, as for Ann Widdicome has she completely lost the plot?

SirChenjin Thu 30-Jan-20 07:22:51

A toe-curling, shameful, national embarrassment.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jan-20 07:25:11

It’s all been said really. Dreadful, infantile, embarrassing. angry

I really hope, and do believe, that Farage is now yesterday’s man.

NannyJan53 Thu 30-Jan-20 07:29:13

Vile vile man, they behaved like kiddies in the playground. At least they cut his microphone off! I sincerely hope the EU don't think we all condone this behaviour and think this way.

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 07:48:21

Pamela those who have posted are in agreement but there appears to be a deafening silence from several usually vociferous posters. I guess they can’t defend him but won’t condemn him.

quizqueen Thu 30-Jan-20 07:59:41

I CAN'T LET IT BE 100%. YES, I'M SHOUTING, NIGEL WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS PROOF ONE MAN CAN TAKE ON THE EU AND WIN. WATCH IT ALL FALL BIT BY BIT NOW AND THE REST OF THOSE COUNTRIES WILL BE FREE SOON TOO, EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY NOT REALISE WHAT'S BEST FOR THEM YET. OH, HAPPY DAYS

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 08:03:43

Someone has spectacularly missed the point. I think you can be both a Brexiter and condemn his behaviour. Its called being a grown up who can think. Shouting about your God just makes you look silly.

vegansrock Thu 30-Jan-20 08:05:55

Proof of childishness from quizqueen

Daisymae Thu 30-Jan-20 08:12:32

They were an embarrassment. Let's hope that's the last we see of them all.

timetogo2016 Thu 30-Jan-20 08:22:50

It was like watching a comedy sketch albeit not a funny one.
Very embarrassing.
Very immature.

GagaJo Thu 30-Jan-20 08:32:28

quizqueen, that was 1) very rude and 2) quite irrational.

Iam64 Thu 30-Jan-20 08:32:31

Phew -a wonderful outbreak of unity on Gransnet (except one poster)

I voted Remain but accepted the outcome with great sadness. Our European neighbours behaved with dignity and friendship. As annodomini says, it's our flag and this lot once again used it to demonstrate some kind of awful Empire, Little Englander we ruled the world approach. Disgusting, shaming and makes me so cross. I would like this country to be able to use its flag with pride but people like Farage, Tommy Robinson and the EDL (who support him, of course they do) persist in mis-using our flag.
I downloaded Ode to Joy - there's a desire to have it top the download chart this week.

SirChenjin Thu 30-Jan-20 08:33:45

Oh dear quizqueen grin grin

jane1956 Thu 30-Jan-20 11:53:01

not embarrassed at all proud that they waved OUR union jack flag, proud to be British, Bye Bye EU

GillT57 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:12:42

Oh well, for a moment there I thought we had all agreed that yesterday was an embarassing, toe curling display, but one person chose to show herself up in as spectacular a way as her idols. Just as daft as those she worships. Also, jane1956, this flag is mine, not just yours and I am appalled to see it misused in such a way. Hopefully a couple of you will feel ashamed of your comments, even those of us with strongly opposing views on Brexit have managed to be adults and condemn yesterday's disgraceful behaviour. Stop shouting quizqueen it does look very silly you know.