Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU not to want to look after one year old while parents are abroad for 4 d.

(138 Posts)
vegansrock Sun 23-Feb-20 10:36:10

I’ll try to keep this dilemma short. I’ve got 7 gorgeous GC, I’ve looked after them all in holiday times and even take the older ones away without their parents. The youngest is just over one year old. I look after this child regularly and he eats and sleeps happily in my house one day per week till 6 pm. Mum has just gone back to work. He is their first child. The rest of the week he goes to a nursery where he hasn’t easily settled ( doesn’t eat or sleep well and cries a lot there). The parents ( DD and SiL) have asked me whether I could look after the baby for 4 days in May as they have been invited to a wedding abroad and baby is not invited. I know he will be a bit older by then but will still be a baby and he has not adjusted well to mum going back to work. I think the parents feel (hope) he’ll have got used to it by then. But several things worry me - he’s fine at our house, but at about 4 pm he will often sit by the front door as if to say “ I’ve had enough of you lot. I want to go now”. He sleeps in a cot at ours, but co sleeps with mum at home and breastfeeds at night. I don’t know if she intends to stop this before the planned trip and don’t feel I can ask( might be too much like putting my oar in). DD thinks it will be fine if he stays at my house as he is used to it and won’t expect mum to be there. My fear is he will get distressed and feel she’s never coming to get him and this may make him upset when he comes to me in the future. Plus having a baby for 4 nights who may be distressed and crying will be wearing and exhausting. AIBU to say no?

pinkquartz Mon 24-Feb-20 22:13:48

Sorry to being this up but what part of Italy are they going to?

Because if the situation doesn't improve it will not be a good idea at all as Italy currently has the most people with Coronavirus and some Towns are in Lockdown.

Can't believe it as I write it. It sounds so extreme.
But we have no idea still if this will burn itself out.

Nanna58 Tue 25-Feb-20 11:26:27

I looked after my grandson 2 1/2 at the time, for a week while DD and SIL were abroad for a week. HUGE responsibility, but d’you know what, probably the best week of my life! Loved it! Sounds like DGC is happy with you, you might really enjoy it,

HelenAylward15 Tue 25-Feb-20 13:35:28

She can express some milk, freeze it and leave it with you, presumably. I wouldn't necessarily expect her to stop just because baby is over one year old - my granddaughter is four now and still has one feed a day (grandson made decision himself to stop when he was just about five).
I slept in the room with my grandson when he stayed with us for the first time, so I was close at hand when he woke in the night needing reassurance.

grannysyb Tue 25-Feb-20 13:51:58

Looked after DGS when he was about 8 months for 4 days, he was fine. Then looked after him and his sister when he was 19 months old and she was 5 months old for about 5 days. Tiring, but I coped, luckily they were good sleepers.

Yorksha Wed 26-Feb-20 20:26:31

I'd be worried about saying " no", incase the parents gave him to someone less reliable. I think going with them would be the best option.

Witzend Thu 27-Feb-20 07:51:00

Re feeding with expressed milk, is the baby used to taking a bottle? Because speaking from experience it often isn’t that easy at all, whether expressed or formula.

If my Gds is anything to go by, breast past the baby/weaning stage was more of a comfort thing than a source of nourishment.

clementine Sat 07-Mar-20 09:41:03

My friend has found herself in a similar dilemma , though only for an overnight . Baby at 8 months refuses point blank to take a bottle in the evening . My friend is going with the parents to the wedding, but has booked into a B & B close to the hotel. She will look after baby during the day, and mum will pop in and feed when necessary. That's the plan !! He will happily eat finger foods and solids during the day but needs his breast feed at night.

Obviously it's different as it's only for one night, you are in a different situation being a longer trip away. Definitely make sure he is taking a bottle at night, this could make or break the whole situation . Good luck.

Alliecat Sun 08-Mar-20 09:27:39

We had to look after our son and DIL's barely-walking toddler for a week while they were on holiday and though she loved being with us she pined by the end of the first day and kept asking and looking for her parents. We comforted and distracted her and looking back it strengthened the bonds between us. She's now 16 and though we live at opposite ends of the country, we couldn't be closer. In fact, on later visits as a toddler she would cry at the prospect of leaving us, every time. I found it comforted her to give her something of mine, like a pretty scarf with my perfume on it, as she sat in the car waiting to leave. Children do see such things as talismans, if you present them that way. Maybe your grandchild's parents could do something similar.

pinkquartz Wed 11-Mar-20 15:25:19

I posted back in February that I thought it might not be possible for the wedding ot go ahead because of the coroanvirus.... but maybe it will be burnt out by May?

otherwise I feel a bit Cassandra like sad

welbeck Thu 12-Mar-20 19:35:30

surely they wont be going.
you should not look after the child.
children are great carriers, and older people are at greater risk.
you didnt want to do it anyway, that should be answer enough, and now it is positively risky, all round. they should cancel.

anonymous44 Tue 31-Mar-20 04:13:38

I do not think you are being unreasonable at all. Actually, I think the parents are being unreasonable wanting to leave their young child while they go abroad. I am the mother of a young child myself, so I can appreciate their predicament. But this is too much. I could understand 1, maybe 2 nights, while the parents had a weekend to themselves a short distance away. But I cannot fathom leaving my 1-year-old for 4 nights while I attended an event in a different country. Nor asking my parents to care for my toddler for 4 nights.

Cabbie21 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:23:11

Have I missed it or surely the trip is cancelled now ?