Gransnet forums

AIBU

Panic buying of loo roll

(86 Posts)
Sallywally1 Wed 11-Mar-20 19:20:45

I don’t understand this; Coronavirus is ultimately a respiratory /lung disease, so why the bulk buying of loo roll? There is no associated bowel dysfunction. And in any case, fighting over the rolls is ridiculous. When I was growing up in the 60s we always used cloth hankies which my mum then washed and ironed. (The warm hanky felt lovely when one had a cold). So if there is a shortage why not just cut up an old sheet and use that? Am I missing something?

Missfoodlove Sat 14-Mar-20 15:02:04

I think the supermarkets are providing a necessary service not cashing in.
They are supplying the demand and in my local Waitrose and Lidl the prices have not been inflated.

I try and do a proportion of my shop with local independents and will try to support them more as they will be the casualties of this virus.

Billybob4491 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:44:50

I live near one of the largest Tesco supermarkets in the UK, and today there were no toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, bread, pasta, biscuits, soap powder, paper tissues, eggs, chicken and so forth.

sharon103 Sat 14-Mar-20 16:09:28

Just out of interest, I'm not stock piling. Honest!
I have looked on ebay and people are selling toilet rolls for a ridiculous price. One example, 24 soft touch toilet rolls for £99.99. and some people have bought them. The same goes for hand sanitiser. We haven't been able to get even 1 of those for our household.
It's a pity some are taking advantage of the situation.

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 00:35:35

And people are using wipes when they can’t get hold of loo roll . Soon the drains will overflow too and we’ll all get typhus.
Remember you must only flush the 3ps down there! ??

mumofmadboys Thu 19-Mar-20 04:26:23

I guess if a lot of folk have stockpiled loo rolls there will soon be plenty on the shelves as half the population will be working through their stock.

M0nica Thu 19-Mar-20 06:55:27

I must say I have found myself wondering just how much of the stockpiled food will actually get eaten and whether in a couple of months people will be looking at the use by dates and saying 'we cannot eat that, it is past its use by date' and throwing it all away.

harrigran Thu 19-Mar-20 08:54:09

There has been a lot of complaints on FB about corner shops hiking their prices for essential items, one shop has been reported to trading standards in our town.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 09:12:12

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8127245/Selfish-eBay-sellers-flogging-baby-milk-FOUR-times-retail-price.html

And to think this is supposed to be Great Britain. Some people disgust me.

POGS Thu 19-Mar-20 10:10:36

Callistemon

Wed 11-Mar-20 19:29:25

Oh I missed that yesterday grin

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:16:49

POGS grin
It's not funny but it is funny!!