Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is anyone else becoming neurotic?

(332 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:31:17

We have just had a delivery of medicine from Boots and instead of keeping his distance the young lad who brought them leaned into the house and put them on the shelf by the front door. At that point he was less than 6 feet away from me. I have sprayed the area with bleach and washed my hands umpteen times but I still worry as I am a high risk.

I worry about food deliveries and handle them with disposable gloves and any other deliveries are put in the dining room for at least 72 hours. Even the post is viewed with suspicion.

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:51:43

That's the nature of a good filter the more it filters the more it reduces airflow. So bit ironic really when breathing is what you need to survive. So if Covid 19 doesnt get you oxygen starvation might. Just a thought

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 23:29:05

The masks I used to wear (UK made), I could JUST manage to wear while exercising. It was hot but it was doable.

Lizbethann55 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:44:07

I never really thought about being so very careful until I started reading all this. So, I have left the post for two days. Just opened it. One of the letters was off my psychotherapist ( I have been seeing him about suffering from fear of being in traffic and being overvigilent following a bad car crash nearly two years ago). It contained a lot of leaflets about living with worry and anxiety in times of global uncertainty. Oh , the irony!

GracesGranMK3 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:05:58

I mentioned the reverse theory - that you wear the mask to protect others, they wear it to protect you to my son. This is just his personal view of course but they go to Japan fairly frequently as they have Japanese friends (and it's not so far from Aus.) He said that is very much how the Japanese see it. It is in deference to others that they wear them, not to protect themselves. Does anyone have any insight into Japanese culture re facemasks?

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 13:46:53

I have been arguing for some time that one of the main reasons to wear a mask is to contain the nasal emissions of the mask user, either directly or by sneezing into one's elbow and then brushing it against shop fitments when reaching to get something off a high shelf and passing it on to others that way. I made my mask after sneezing twice a few weeks ago while doing my weekly shop.

I am not sure there is anything particularly Japanese about thinking that way. Surely that is the main reason why medical and surgical staff wear masks - to protect the patient?

In cases where the patient may pose a danger to the staff, obviously staff wear them to protect themselves, but except in exceptional times like now. The majority of masks are worn to protect the patient not vice versa.

Hetty58 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:59:08

I think it's normal in Japan to wear a mask if you have a cold.

Now, I'm thinking wearing one here could work well to keep others at a distance?

I'm sneezing a bit due to tree pollen allergy - that should repel people too!