Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is anyone else becoming neurotic?

(332 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:31:17

We have just had a delivery of medicine from Boots and instead of keeping his distance the young lad who brought them leaned into the house and put them on the shelf by the front door. At that point he was less than 6 feet away from me. I have sprayed the area with bleach and washed my hands umpteen times but I still worry as I am a high risk.

I worry about food deliveries and handle them with disposable gloves and any other deliveries are put in the dining room for at least 72 hours. Even the post is viewed with suspicion.

SueDonim Thu 26-Mar-20 20:42:06

Grammargran I’m not swabbing every surface in sight, either. I’m abiding by my usual kitchen standards plus wiping down anything brought into the house. Otherwise, no one is coming into our house so I can’t see how coronavirus would suddenly materialise on the fireplace or the stair rail or anywhere else.

Phoenix yes, antibacterial wipes/liquid do work on CV. That’s because the virus has a fatty surface which is broken down by the liquid.

I have to say, I’m baffled by people using bleach sprays so much. I bought one by accident a while ago and loads of our clothes were ruined by bleach spots before I realised what was causing it. sad

paddyanne Thu 26-Mar-20 21:00:26

ThanksBluesky I'm not usually a panicker but its been one thing after another for the past year and I'm done in.On the verge of tears most of the week and scared .I need to get a grip I know that and I will.Sometimes the silliest things knock you for six .

NanTheWiser Thu 26-Mar-20 21:13:54

Like Curlywhirly and sodapop, I'm not going to extreme lengths of cleaning all my shopping either! I wear disposable gloves when shopping, which get washed when I get home, and then washing hands as well, but wouldn't wear a mask even if I had one - it's considered to be more risky.

Am I fatalistic? Maybe...

Am I plain stoopid? Quite possibly...

Am I neurotic? I don't think so...

janeainsworth Thu 26-Mar-20 21:26:17

I’m another one who isn’t bleaching everything in sight.
I had a delivery from Morrison’s yesterday and Shock! Horror! I just put it away.

I doubt very much that a Morrison’s employee would have been coughing all over it which is the only way any virus could have got onto it. The Morrison’s delivery man volunteered the information that he sanitised his hands in between deliveries.

I’ve got some isopropyl alcohol spray and the other day I sprayed the door handles. No one has been inside our house for at least two weeks so there’s no way any virus could have got inside the house. I just wipe down my worktops in the usual way, ditto the bathrooms.

Having said all that, I’d like to stress that I am being very strict about social distancing. Apart from chance encounters when we’ve been out for our daily walk, we haven’t seen any friends or neighbours for the last 2 weeks.

anno was it potassium permanganate aka pinky parny you were thinking of? My Dad was in India during the war and he told me about it. I remember being fascinated by the crystals dissolving & producing a deep pink liquid.

Iam64 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:48:02

Phew - I'm in the not panicking gang and feel reassured having read the comments from janeainsworth. I went into Sainsbury's a week ago Thursday for the 7am 'vulnerable' shopping experience. Never again, it was the most risky thing I've done since the pandemic hit. We had fruit and veg delivered a couple of days ago, It was washed and put away.

Parcels from the evil empire have been wiped down with a bleach solution.

I've been social distancing for two weeks. I walk the dogs, have been busy in the garden and stood on the driveway at 8pm this evening to join the applause, whooping and cheering for our NHS. On pavements and footpaths, people have carefully followed the social distance guides, whilst giving a friendly hello, or nod.

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 22:12:27

I don't have alcohol spray.

I do have a bottle of vodka and dislike vodka so can I spray that (not over food, obviously)?
That would get rid of it.

#notneurotic

Doodledog Thu 26-Mar-20 22:19:54

I'm not neurotic either. Food deliveries get put away. Other deliveries are opened, the cardboard goes in the recycling, then I wipe the kitchen bench with Cif or similar where they have been, and wash my hands.

May7 Thu 26-Mar-20 22:46:24

Can someone tell me how they know that the virus can live up two years in a freezer??? This virus is brand new and so how is it possible to know this.?? Have I missed something here Is there any scientific evidence for this please. Anyone got a link

I dont have the energy to empty and disinfect my freezer.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Mar-20 22:47:36

No, I’m not becoming neurotic, but we’re taking what I think are sensible precautions, following official advice. Frequent handwashing, keeping to ourselves, giving deliveries a quick wipe down with hot water and washing up liquid. Otherwise cleaning as usual, with a few extra disinfecting sprays. We’ve always had separate towels, which I’m washing twice weekly instead of just weekly.

Our newspapers are still being delivered and read, fresh food gets the usual rinse.

paddyanne, sending you thoughts and thanks. This too will pass.

NanTheWiser Thu 26-Mar-20 22:49:16

Don't bother with the vodka, Callistemon, the alcohol content wouldn't be high enough to kill the virus. (You could clean a diamond ring with it though...)

Harris27 Thu 26-Mar-20 22:56:30

I’ve been working with kids and we’ve just shut up for lockdown we washed everything we could find before closing. I’m careful at home but not over neurotic I do feel safer at home and getting everything delivered.

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-20 22:59:06

Janeainseorth, yes - potassium permanganate - that was the one. We washed lettuce and other vegetables in it. Is it feasible to use it in the current circumstances? And how would I get hold of some?

janeainsworth Thu 26-Mar-20 23:06:12

anno the Wikipedia entry is long but interesting. I skim-read what seemed to be the relevant parts (skipped industrial uses) & there didn’t seem to be any reason why you shouldn’t use it, except for getting pink hands grin
You might be able to get it at the chemist as it has medicinal uses too.

May7 Thu 26-Mar-20 23:11:35

You can get it at the chemist. Used to use it for treatment for Athletes foot wink

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 23:17:35

NanTheWiser oh well, it was a thought!!

Esspee Fri 27-Mar-20 07:54:39

I am a little concerned about people who are completely self isolating but are still scrubbing and bleaching their home - and themselves - obsessively.
If nothing and no one is coming into the home then one thorough clean and then you can go back to pre CV hygiene standards.
Please don’t become neurotic over this threat.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 08:13:10

I’m beginning to settle down now to the new norm and not feeling too bad, but I can’t get rid of an alarming bit of knowledge that I picked up when watching the DG of the UN, who said that if not got under control in underdeveloped countries it may mutate several times and there will be no vaccine.

I so so hope he is proved wrong, and wish I hadn’t heard that.

Maybellex Fri 27-Mar-20 08:47:37

I wondering if I should be more neurotic. My dilemma - we have the baby Moses basket, crib, clothes, nappies, milk everything my daughter, who is 7 months pregnant and a first time mum to, needs. They live 15 miles away. Her MIL works nearby to us in key worker business HGVs. She lives near to them -can she collect the baby things from our garage? What does my daughter do with them before bringing into her house. Daughter has done very well so far unlike me when I had her at 30 weeks. So my stress about pregnancy is high without without the coronavirus. I don't share the stress with her.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 08:53:27

Leave that decision to your daughter, she is an adult and can make her own choices when she receives them..

But send them with all your love. !! She will be thrilled and it will give her something to feel happy about in this time of gloom.

Maybellex Fri 27-Mar-20 09:00:34

You're right she is an adult and I need to remember that. I
She wants everything there. I also have gift bags for things I've bought as no baby shower. Other things are her sisters baby equipment. Have bleach for her too!

BlueSapphire Fri 27-Mar-20 09:01:30

Yes I am being neurotic and continually worry about what is coming into the house. I worried this week about my daily newspaper (handled by newsagent and paper boy), and pick it up with rubber gloved hands and put it in the oven for half an hour. Then I wash the rubber gloves!

Had a parcel delivery yesterday, picked it up with gloved hands, packaging went straight in the recycling bin, rubber gloves washed again! Everything is delivered into my front enclosed porch, and left there, so I don't have to open the door to anyone.n

I wiped down everything in my groceries delivery, put stuff straight in the cupboard and will leave it for a week. Carrier bags banished to the garage.

Use high alcohol wipes on phones, remotes, light switches, handles etc, and will be making up a bleach solution in a spray bottle.

But hopefully if we don't touch our mouth, eyes or nose we should be ok. There is only me in the house

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 09:04:52

Iam64.... ‘the evil empire’ haha, yes, Amazon is coming in very handy at the moment, I managed to get lots of birthday presents and Easter gifts for the DGC ordered from them.
Have heard from friends that the ‘vulnerable’ shopping experience is a nightmare so will give that a miss.

Urmstongran Fri 27-Mar-20 10:06:16

Strange times when you need to wash your hands BEFORE picking your nose ... (not that I do, you understand. Just saying!).
?

mbmb Fri 27-Mar-20 10:21:27

I am getting more neurotic with each passing day. I live in a block of 21 flats on 3 floors with a shared post room and access to rubbish bins. Although you have to be over 65 to live here its' not sheltered accommodation - no communal lounge or laundry etc - and that was the attraction for quite a few of us living here. To access the post, take out the rubbish, go outside means touching door handles and knobs that many people have used. I always use disposable gloves and wash my hands on return. There is only me and a former nurse who seem to be taking things seriously. When I went for my post yesterday four of them were standing close together having a good old natter and when I reminded them of the 6foot rule was told that life has to go on. I envy those of you who are in houses where you can be certain that no virus has crossed your threshold.

Boz Fri 27-Mar-20 10:22:56

Before you go OTT check your local figures for Covid.19 on a daily basis.