Gransnet forums

AIBU

A spider just crawled down my sleeve and up the curtain

(37 Posts)
Alexa Sun 05-Apr-20 18:35:51

a spider just crawled down my sleeve and up the curtain and I did not feel upset.

SueDonim Sun 05-Apr-20 18:41:48

Was your arm in your sleeve at the time? If it was, and if I’d been you, I’d have had the heeby-jeebies! ???

As it is, a large spider appeared right in the middle of my sitting room floor this afternoon. It’s just materialised there. My stupid cats just sat and looked at it until I stamped on it to make it dead.

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 18:42:54

Ah, but how big was it? Money? Medium or budding tarantula? Makes a differencegrin

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:43:30

Oh. ? I never kill spiders they do do much good. Well they would if there were any flies that seem to be disappearing along with everything else

ExD Sun 05-Apr-20 18:45:01

Its all down to the individual isn't it? I'm luckily not worried by them either, but can understand why other people find them so scary. They really do embody the deepest terrors of monsters and killers don't they?
I don't like picking up the big black ones that you get in the bath though and always use a duster, but the little tiny ones are quite cute and always so so busy with their web making.
But don't let a daddy longlegs anywhere near me - please!

Septimia Sun 05-Apr-20 18:45:04

More important things to worry about? I'm not sure I wouldn't have at least shuddered a bit.

I was on the exercise bike earlier and a mouse ran across the carpet in front of me. We're used to the wood mice and voles that the cat brings in, but I've no idea where this apparent house mouse came from. So we calmly popped a pot over it, gathered it up and put it outside, where it sat on the wall looking very bemused.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 05-Apr-20 19:03:18

No that horrid, I don't even like the word spider let alone a spider near me. Just hate them..

CherryCezzy Sun 05-Apr-20 19:10:59

No you are not. The spider is far more afraid of you than you of it. I'm not keen on them in the house but I'd much rather have a spider in the house than a fly any day of the week. Flies are horrible.
Strange how they seem to do that Septimia. My partner and I had one visit us a couple of years ago. When my partner put a large glass over it and took it outside it sat on the wall of our raised garden area for ages just looking at the door.

Willow500 Sun 05-Apr-20 19:20:07

I have just cleared the summerhouse out today after what must be at least 5 years (there were cans of beer in there from the last bbq we had when my son emigrated and that was nearly 7 years ago!) so there were a lot of very big spiders webs. I thought I coped remarkably well as I'd only seen a couple of those with long spindly legs which I didn't kill. Then I took the curtains down and put them in the garden and a great huge fat one ran out and disappeared into the grass! As I've decimated all the arachnids homes with the hoover and brushes I guess they'll be out there desperately searching for new abodes tonight grin

Calendargirl Sun 05-Apr-20 19:24:34

Never kill a spider.

vampirequeen Sun 05-Apr-20 19:30:45

I like spiders. I can't say I'm keen if a big one suddenly appears on me unexpectedly but if they and I respect each other's personal space we get on quite well. A lot of them have beautiful markings and they all eat the nasties that I don't want in my house.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 19:33:42

I wouldn’t hurt a ? but I have the screaming ab dabs if one comes on me . Well done for staying calm Alexa

Evie64 Sun 05-Apr-20 19:33:56

I would never kill any insects in my garden, oh, wait, greenfly and blackfly I kill and the occasional wasp if it won't leave me alone. However, if a spider comes into my home, I encourage it to leave. If it stamps its foot and refuses, then I'm afraid it's dead! I always think, if I was the same size as the spider, it would give me a bite which paralysed me, then it would cocoon me up and leave me hanging somewhere to tenderise and then return and eat me, so no conscience here I'm afraid. Daddy long legs, now that's anther matter entirely, I usually run round the room waving my arms like a bloody windmill screaming to my DH "Get it, kill it, for f***s sake kill it!!" shock

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Apr-20 19:38:42

We generally have a large house spider living in our sitting room over the winter. So big you can hear her feet pattering across the floor. She comes in through the air brick and having her in means no other spiders - or their webs. She eats them all. This last winter we didn't see her, so perhaps it is the same one and she's died from old age. This morning I cleared fine webs from behind the units and pictures and turfed the occupants outside. Hopefully one of her daughters will come in this autumn.

I'm fine with spiders, snakes, rats, frogs etc. But I don't like handling live fish or slimy things and I'll cross the road rather than walk near a dead thing. Can't cope with corpses.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 19:38:44

Oh god Evie64 ( lush name btw ) I’m gonna have a nightmare tonight thinking about that spider !

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 19:40:13

It’s moths for me . Couldn’t sleep knowing there was a moth around . Shuddering thinking about it .

Evie64 Sun 05-Apr-20 19:57:59

Actually Gillybob, you just reminded me of something when I was about 14. I was ironing my dads shirts in a daze, I pushed the iron up the sleeve and this huge slightly singed moth flew out and flapped in my face! Iron, ironing board, shirt all got thrown across the room shock

SirChenjin Sun 05-Apr-20 20:05:55

I have a humane spider catcher thing which now means I can move the critters outside in a big brave girl way, but they still give me the horrors. You were very brave Alexa

HettyMaud Sun 05-Apr-20 20:30:19

Suggest people read about spiders and the good they do. They are part of the ecosystem and aren't the least bit interested in humans.

SueDonim Sun 05-Apr-20 20:33:52

Nope, all this talk about the good spiders do is part of their evil plan! They are the devil’s horsemen, be in no doubt! ☠️☠️☠️

Ngaio1 Sun 05-Apr-20 20:35:20

For crying out loud. Isn't Covid 19 enough!! I thought the awful things were banished until Sept/Oct this year. Now I am frightened to look for an ything lost under my bed!!!

paddyanne Sun 05-Apr-20 20:38:53

Ilike spiders ,I made it my job to see my GD's aren't scared of them.They all know the spiders are far more scared than they are and are happy to pick up and put them outside .Sometimes if we have one we cant reach they give it a name and track its progress accross the ceiling and down the wall until they can catch it .Wish I could say the same about bees ,but they're getting there as they understand how important bees are now that they're a bit older,they dont scram anymore..thats a start .

paddyanne Sun 05-Apr-20 20:39:30

scream

SueDonim Sun 05-Apr-20 20:51:06

Gah, my cat’s tail just flicked onto me - I jumped out of my skinny-skin-skin! ???

MiniMoon Sun 05-Apr-20 22:59:31

I've never been worried by spiders. I tend to pick them up an out them outside.
My mother used to say, "if you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive."