Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour has Grandson with her on Easter Sunday .

(241 Posts)
3nanny6 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:11:30

Am I an unreasonable neighbour to feel I am in the wrong for not wanting my daughter and children at my home on Easter day. (My daughter would not bring her children at the moment anyway)
The reason I ask is because my next door neighbour is outside talking to another neighbour whilst at the same time kissing and holding her two and a half year old grandson. The neighbours son (father of the child) does not even live next door so he has brought the child to see his grand-mother. I admit to feeling envious as yesterday when I took
my GC some Easter eggs I had to be thankful for a wave from the window. The neighbours GC is one week younger than my GC and when they were going to be born we would speculate which mother would give birth first.
They have gone in her house now and the childs mother has arrived as well so looks like they are all going to have lunch together. I know it is unreasonable to feel envious but I do.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:14:39

The thing is, it’s not just the family that gets it. One person picks it up at the supermarket, they then spread it to the rest of the family who then in turn make trips to the supermarket - and for up to two weeks they’re all spreading it about the place. That’s why households should not be mixing.

Have we really got so many stupid people in this country that they cannot grasp this basic science? It’s absolutely maddening - and as others have said, this is precisely why so many are continuing to die and why we won’t be rid of this flaming virus for months yet. Makes me so mad.

Beechnut Sun 12-Apr-20 16:19:20

You know you are doing the right thing to keep your family as safe as you can.

Unfortunately there are some people who don’t think like that and as others on here have said numbers will possible go up in a few weeks and MAYBE we will see posts on Facebook etc that family members have the virus and getting many ‘likes’ of sad face emojis and wonder how it could possible have happened to THEM.

My DD (who lives too far away to come to the end of my drive) said to me yesterday, ‘I’d love to see you mum, I just don’t want you to get ill’.

In the meantime we message and FaceTime.

Hetty58 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:28:49

The WHO says this about the incubation period:

'The “incubation period” means the time between catching the virus and beginning to have symptoms of the disease. Most estimates of the incubation period for COVID-19 range from 1-14 days, most commonly around five days. These estimates will be updated as more data become available'

So, say, for instance, it takes 14 days (and a person is most highly infectious before they have any symptoms), then they are ill for a week, hospitalised for a second week, then die - that's a whole month between them catching it and appearing in the death count.

It's truly frightening thinking about the future 'cost' of all the Easter family get-togethers!

Grammaretto Sun 12-Apr-20 16:33:38

You have loving and sensible DC as do we.
DD phoned today. She told me of several breeches where she is in rural Scotland. Some fence repairers (fencers) have moved in next door to begin work tomorrow.
DD was wishing we could move in next door instead. She says people up there are lawless and carrying on almost as normal.
And yet the death toll is truly shocking.
Over 10,000 now and that's just from hospital figures.

JenniferEccles Sun 12-Apr-20 16:43:31

I really thought that the PM being so ill last week in intensive care would be the wake up call some people needed but it appears not.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 17:07:25

I can only surmise that too many people think that it’s old people who die or people who have underlying health conditions - and because neither categories apply to them they’ll be fine. A few younger ones have died, sure, but they could have died in road traffic accidents anyway, or perhaps they had underlying health conditions they didn’t know about - and anyway, 10000 people out of 66-odd million people isn’t that much really. So they come up with a reason to justify why they can still move about, and if they’re keeping their (very vague) 2m distance, what’s the harm?

If it’s something else I’d love to hear it to try and understand their flawed logic.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 17:09:17

Oh, and while Boris recovering is obviously a great thing and no-one in their right mind would have wished ill on him it reinforces their flawed arguments - is that young(ish), fit, healthy people will be fine.

Hithere Sun 12-Apr-20 17:13:34

Yanbu

Willow500 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:25:42

I can't get my head round what people don't understand about social distancing and not visiting family members - it's not like we are not told umpteen times a day in the news, social media and the newspapers! A friend and her siblings go and visit their elderly mother on different days - they seem to think it's ok if they're sitting in the garden or in the conservatory but even then they're touching cups, door handles etc which is also how this thing spreads.

It's understandable to feel envious of people seeing their GC but it's better to feel that way than to be mourning the loss of someone further down the line!

Chestnut Sun 12-Apr-20 17:53:13

If only we could all be put inside a head bubble for three weeks the virus would not be able to spread and would DIE!

Okay, just a bit of fantasising......

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 18:19:57

You may just have hit upon a very good idea there... grin

Chestnut Sun 12-Apr-20 18:21:44

Shall we market them? Not sure where the oxygen comes from though. Will have to ask the Octonauts.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 18:25:42

The Octonauts will know for sure - and Captain Barnacles is the bear to lead us through this

grannyrebel7 Sun 12-Apr-20 18:42:01

People like this flouting the lockdown rules make me so angry!

MissAdventure Sun 12-Apr-20 19:00:03

I don't think it's that people don't understand, they just want to do what they want, because their particular circumstances are exceptional.

Some of the threads here are by people who apparently don't understand the most basic of social distancing.

Of course, there are people whose circumstances don't fit neatly into a pigeonhole, but most do.

CherryCezzy Sun 12-Apr-20 19:06:22

Envious? It's understandable to feel that they are getting something you want - that loving close affection, given and received. I won't feel that way. Sad to not be able to do that at the moment yes but happy that I am not because I know the possible implications and would not want to be complicit in them. Some people with the virus have no symptoms at all (eg. the once footballer Kenny Darglish - who went into hospital for something unrelated, but was routinely tested and found to have it) so a trip to the supermarket and then the family visiting a week or two later could prove deadly for a loved one. I am happy that I won't do that.
My next door neighbour has had her ex come and take the girls out for the afternoon a few times since the lockdown. Yesterday they went out taking another neighbour's daughter with them and when they returned their cousin came back in the car too.
It's irresponsible, selfish and worst of all could prove to be devastating for them all. I want my family safe.

Susan56 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:13:32

My 88 year old mother lives 50 miles away so we can’t visit.She has been doing amazingly well but was upset today as my cousin is taking my 90 year old aunt out for a drive everyday and now mum doesn’t understand why we can’t do that.Very upsetting as mum has handled the situation really well until now.To say I’m not happy with my cousin is an understatement?

quizqueen Sun 12-Apr-20 19:28:28

While I appreciate that this behaviour is not strictly in keeping with the spirit of what we are supposed to be doing, I am far more concerned that flights from all over the world are still being allowed to come to our airports and that people are turning up in boats illegally on our shores and that the police are targeting people sitting on benches instead of arresting drug dealers still out there plying their wares.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Apr-20 19:36:28

Yes, that's a fair point,
I must stop moaning! blush

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 19:36:34

I think it’s possible to be concerned by all breaches - I certainly am. We will never get past this while so many people are spreading it - it’s maddening.

Hazel731 Sun 12-Apr-20 20:12:38

quizqueen how dare you run the police down when they are doing the best they can with the resources they are given. Think of them when this is all over and the pubs reopen, how many people are going to over indulge in alcohol and need a helping hand, how many drug dealers are going to be back out there along with the drug takers and thats without all the domestic fights, they are going to be run off their feet - will they get a clap- no.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 20:40:58

I really thought that the PM being so ill last week in intensive care would be the wake up call some people needed but it appears not

You thought a person who apparently doesn't believe in illness, who wilfully made a great show of having skin to skin contact with Covid patients, and was then seen not adhereing to advice to stay 2 metres apart would inspire people?

Labaik Sun 12-Apr-20 20:51:53

The police in my area are doing an amazing job. People complain when they eg tape up picnic benches but don't realise that when one family has gone another might sit there and get the virus from the table. They're being spat at and even, in one case, bitten. And all of this at a time when they're short of thousands of officers.

Hazel731 Sun 12-Apr-20 21:01:47

Labaik well said. Thats 2 of us thats clapping our police service.

Smileless2012 Sun 12-Apr-20 21:20:37

We were sent a photograph the other day of a 21 year old WPC's arm showing a bite mark she'd been given by a young 'man' she'd stopped to talk too about observing the guidelines. I think it happened in the London area.

The police in our area are doing an amazing job too. We live in a very popular sea side town and it's been very quiet here. Car parks have been closed and any vehicle not showing a residents car permit is turned away.