Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour has Grandson with her on Easter Sunday .

(241 Posts)
3nanny6 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:11:30

Am I an unreasonable neighbour to feel I am in the wrong for not wanting my daughter and children at my home on Easter day. (My daughter would not bring her children at the moment anyway)
The reason I ask is because my next door neighbour is outside talking to another neighbour whilst at the same time kissing and holding her two and a half year old grandson. The neighbours son (father of the child) does not even live next door so he has brought the child to see his grand-mother. I admit to feeling envious as yesterday when I took
my GC some Easter eggs I had to be thankful for a wave from the window. The neighbours GC is one week younger than my GC and when they were going to be born we would speculate which mother would give birth first.
They have gone in her house now and the childs mother has arrived as well so looks like they are all going to have lunch together. I know it is unreasonable to feel envious but I do.

Chestnut Sun 12-Apr-20 23:11:00

I absolutely despair at today's collection of photos showing huge crowds of people all over the country walking close together in parks and public places, plus a massive house party in Durham requiring two dozen officers and four paramedics. It seems so many people in this country just don't give a damn and are just making a mockery of all our sacrifices. Heartbreaking.

M0nica Sun 12-Apr-20 23:21:44

Don't feel envious, feel morally superior. You are following the regulations laid down and are not risking your health and life, nor that of your children and grandchildren. You care enough about your grandchildren to be prepared to do anything to protect them. Your next door neighbour and family are prepared to sacrifice their lives and health for a few brief hours together.

Congratulate yourself on your willingness to do anything to protect your family, As I said take the moral superiority route

BradfordLass73 Sun 12-Apr-20 23:26:13

There's one lady in our small street (she usually works full time) whose grandchildren visit regularly.

They all drive but they're certainly not delivering anything.

She's not isolated and, quite obviously, neither are they.

We are still at Level 4 here and the police are stopping people every now and then to ask where they're going and why.

Ironically, this lady normally works in a police station.

Kalu Sun 12-Apr-20 23:40:04

How difficult is it for people not to understand that their selfish actions will cause more illness and put even more pressure on our exhausted NHS. Are these individuals under the illusion that their needs are more important somehow?

The strong message is there for all to easily understand:
Stay home unless your journey is essential and we are all well aware of which journies are being referred to?

Elrel Sun 12-Apr-20 23:44:07

My elderly neighbour’s family came today to see him for an Easter drink. He’s quite frail and doubtless lonely, I just hope neither he nor they suffer for their ill-advised get together.

Hithere Sun 12-Apr-20 23:45:38

Kalu

The problem is what people consider to be essential

You would be surprised what mental gymnastics you can read to justify something

Blencathra Mon 13-Apr-20 07:02:44

It is very selfish behaviour and they simply shouldn’t be doing it. It upsets me that I can’t see either my very elderly mother or my very young grandchild but I wouldn’t take the risk.
I wouldn’t feel envious of the idiots who would put family at risk - it will be too late to get upset afterwards if they do get the virus.

Ginny42 Mon 13-Apr-20 07:22:22

It's happening here too and as it's a small group of houses, it's obvious that some families are having visits after placing parcels at the door, then retreat and speak from the kerb.

Other families have visitors arriving and going into the house.

What makes me angry is that after being so careless and selfish, should they become ill, someone has to put their lives in danger to nurse them.

I'm thinking there will be another spike in numbers about two weeks from now.

kittylester Mon 13-Apr-20 07:34:25

Should we be reporting these people?

Two of our neighbours are flouting the rules. One neighbour has her daughter and grandchildren round every Saturday afternoon and hasn't stopped. And another neighbour drove to collect her brother and had him stay 2 nights and then drove him home.

They are perfectly nice reasonable people so what are they thinking?

dinks13 Mon 13-Apr-20 07:44:10

Totally agree with you quizqueen. I really don’t understand why we are allowing flights to the other side of the world to pick them up then bring them back here??!!! Crazy.

vegansrock Mon 13-Apr-20 07:49:43

ginny I’m not sure what is wrong with talking to someone who has delivered a parcel and keeps their distance? I don’t think the rules are not to talk to anyone? My DD drops off my shopping , she steps right back to her car and I say my thank yous / how are you through the window or doorway, at least 5 metres away. In my street a musician who has no teaching work, played her violin at the window and the neighbours stood in their doorways or windows and enjoyed a free “concert” , she got a huge round of applause, it was uplifting.

Sparkling Mon 13-Apr-20 08:04:37

Ignorant, selfish people. You are in the right. I think for some the message won't sink in until someone in their family gets it.

M0nica Mon 13-Apr-20 08:33:29

I think the ones who flout the rules, only see themselves as individuals. 'It doesn't matter if we visit. What difference does one visit make? And we won't go anywhere else'

They do not realise that they are not just one household, but, unfortunately, one of thousands of families, all thinking like that - and that is where the danger lies.

As vegansrock says, visiting ad keeping a distance is within the rules. My DGC visited their other Grandma yesterday. They stood at the road end of the front garden, about 10 metres from the house and unfurled a banner saying 'Happy Easter Grandma'. Grandma stood at the front door. There was a brief conversation and they went home. No contact was made and not even any parcels shared.

Pikachu Mon 13-Apr-20 08:58:55

Yes Monica & veganrock and others that is quite acceptable. My family too leave something on the doorstep then retreat to the end of the front garden while we have a little natter.

It is lovely to see them in the flesh not just on Alexa show. Good for our mental health and uplifts our spirit.

etheltbags1 Mon 13-Apr-20 09:08:20

They are the same in our street. I have a neighbour with a child on chemo and a toddler and a 6 month old. I saw an older woman go in yesterday. This is especially dangerous in their situation. I hope the little girl is ok.

SirChenjin Mon 13-Apr-20 09:10:34

As long as no- one is driving to your house, a visit on foot as part of your daily exercise to say hello from 2m away, is absolutely fine. It’s when a non essential car journey is involved that it is not fine.

CherryCezzy Mon 13-Apr-20 10:05:23

Of course it's fine if someone drops something off on the doorstep, retreats to an appropriate distance and then stops and speaks ( more likely shouts) to you from that distance. Volunteer shoppers are doing it, as are delivery persons. That is clearly permitted. It is when people not living in the same household visit or go out together ? it is not. That is where problems are being stored up. How can the curve of this virus be flattened and eventually decline when some people are flouting rules that are there to keep themselves safe, never mind the rest of society.

Caro57 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:50:32

Whilst I would love to see my children and DGCs I know I couldn’t cope with their becoming unwell (or worse) possibly through my stupidity. It is very tough at the moment - but try to think of the long term, you are doing the right thing for them and society

inishowen Mon 13-Apr-20 10:55:44

My son is a call handler for the police and they are inundated with calls about neighbours. Please stop looking at what they do. As long as you adhere to the rules that's what matters.

Beanie654321 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:56:38

3nanny6 dont get too disheartened as they should not be there. I have 4 grandsons which I have not hugged for over 6 weeks because of this virus, they all live within an hours walk. I ordered Easter eggs online so I would not see them. My youngest grandson thinks I live in the phone with our fish Rambo. We phone every day with numerous WhatsApp video messages and yes they get to say hello to Rambo. We are being asked to self isolate for a reason and it is to SAVE lives. I have friends who work in NHS and yes some have become ill through having little PPE and nursing others, they go into work daily to ensure those of us that become ill have some one to care for us. Your neighbours are so wrong in doing what they are doing, because they are adding pressure to staff that are already stressed and fully aware that they, whilst performing their jobs, are putting their lives on the line. Stay safe and I'm sorry for the strong words. Xxxxx

Missiseff Mon 13-Apr-20 10:56:40

I would have reported them to the Police! Ignorant b*******!

Nannan2 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:57:18

Yeah our neighbours had been out in garden saturday & at first i thought was just them& their kids,but i heard at least one other guys voice so clearly had someone else round as well!(i think they've relatives round corner or something) and sunday i saw nor heard them so maybe theyd gone to other rellies? I wish folk could see it effects them too- why do so many seem to think it doesnt matter if 'just' they dont conform? Cant they see this will last longer unless they all comply? I hope now Boris is on the mend he will force the strict rules of china& italy and slap huge £600 fines on rule breakers too!angry

Nannan2 Mon 13-Apr-20 11:00:46

Inishowen- if NO ONE REPORTS these people& police dont 'sort them out' how are we ever going to stop folk taking the p**s???angry

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 13-Apr-20 11:00:49

Don't feel envious.
Those visitors are stupid beyond belief.

Tea and cake Mon 13-Apr-20 11:02:38

I am one of the many who doesn't see their grandchildren often anyway, they live too far away. We have always Skyped once a week. We follow lockdown to the letter - I'm not daft enough to risk my family's or my own health. I know several NHS workers and it makes me exceedingly angry to see how idiots don't follow the rules. Lockdown is no fun, but far preferable to being on a ventilator or dead. Or infecting your loved ones. We will get through this. But it's unfortunately going to take some time. So thankful for the internet.