Gransnet forums

AIBU

Colourful chalk on brick walls

(116 Posts)
Rosieroe Fri 17-Apr-20 21:07:59

I am seeing photos everywhere of people’s houses where they have been busy colouring in the bricks with chalk as a sign of support for the NHS.
Whilst it looks lovely and colourful at the moment am I the only one thinking about how they will have a dreadful time trying to clean it off in the future and will look absolutely awful.

BusterTank Sat 18-Apr-20 09:53:59

It will wash of with the rain .

Minerva Sat 18-Apr-20 09:54:08

There is a new kind of child’s chalk which lasts a lot longer than the first downpour. I have a reminder of my grandchildren’s visit in January 2019 on the back walk of my house. No they didn’t ask.?. We have had exceptional rainfall since then and it has at last washed off the bricks but is still to be seen on the mortar. Definitely a kind of chalk but made to last.

Of all things I am not going to be bothered about though is any tribute to our carers.

Gwiz5 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:54:12

I think it’s fabulous for the kids to express themselves , I’d much rather they draw on the path , walls and garden than inside my or my dil’s house ! With everything that’s scary going on giving the littler ones something positive to do. I know that at the moment we are all feeling a little more sensitive about things that never used to even factor in our thought process. Take a breath. And in the words of Elsa ‘ Let it go ‘

inishowen Sat 18-Apr-20 09:54:46

My granddaughter chalked the lower part of her house LAST year. It doesn't come off! Rain falls downwards not directly on to the house. It will take a hosepipe and a lot of scrubbing to remove it.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:55:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Phloembundle Sat 18-Apr-20 09:55:42

I love seeing them all. The children are learning that we must all care about one another.

NannyG123 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:57:13

It will wash off. It's good that people are doing this. If I was to see hooscotch in the street at the moment . Would I have a go.. sure would.

Colverson Sat 18-Apr-20 09:57:15

I think its lovely ,next road from us family have made side of house beautiful with flowers,birds ect .Hope more pdo this but only with chalk Not paint

Longdistancegrnny Sat 18-Apr-20 09:58:30

We had loads in our street, they have all washed away now its raining, sadly. Hopefully when the sun comes out again the kids will do some more and I shall join them - I did some lovely flowers on the pavement outside my house, I didn't want to feel left out just because there are no kids living at mine! We have a Street Group on Whats App and some kind person ordered lots of chalk to lend to those who didn't have any. Stop whingeing and join in the fun, you never know it might make your day a bit easier!

Aepgirl Sat 18-Apr-20 09:59:33

I’ve been walking this morning and yesterday’s rain has washed all the chalk away - ready for fresh art.

Bugbabe2019 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:00:14

It just washes off easily ?
Are you bored OP? ?

Susiewakie Sat 18-Apr-20 10:04:40

Yes you are being unreasonable chalk washes off in the rain or wash it away .I've seen pictures of my grandchildrens art work in chalk . Just wish I was there with them but it cheers me up when I see local drawings out on daily walk

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:07:35

Oh for goodness sake! It DOES NOT take a lot of scrubbing to get CHALK off- as a few of us have said,yes it probably takes more 'washings off' by rain or a hose,if that wall is 'sheltered' from rain,but if it is only chalk,it does come off in end...a good hosing down will help it fade quicker,but it will fade eventually.(unless sharpies or permanent markers are used,then will need a scrub.bleach should do it!) Anyway if its just kids rainbow pics why are some of you being so precious about it? Id have thought anything like that would cheer us up now not make you mean towards the kiddies! Even the 'new type of chalk' (which sounds made up cause ive got grandkids& never heard of it) will eventually fade off in all weathers,may take a bit longer..so why are being,yes,Killjoys!

Petalpop Sat 18-Apr-20 10:08:09

I think it is wonderful to see. Get a life. Where you never a child.

Petalpop Sat 18-Apr-20 10:08:47

Oops. WERE

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:11:08

I bet none of them would be moaning if Banksy had done a bit of drawing though,eh?grin

4allweknow Sat 18-Apr-20 10:11:55

Used to chalk on pavements when young, hopscotch etc. Have seen some rainbows in footpaths at the end of driveways. My mum used to always chuck water on my creations and brush off. Only discovered when I had my own kids why she did this, it's an offence! Haven't seen any chalk on brickwork, wouldn't line to gave to clean that off, bricks having a rougher surface than concrete.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:12:52

I agree Petalpop,its maybe they were never 'allowed' to do chalking as kids.hmm

goldengirl Sat 18-Apr-20 10:14:48

My GC have coloured their garden path in a geometric pattern. It's so pretty though probably today's rain will wash it away. Still, they can perhaps do it again. It doesn't hurt anyone. I love a bit of colour - much needed these days!

Nannatwiglet Sat 18-Apr-20 10:17:08

Chalk washes off in the rain.....! On a hot day my small DD loved painting “pictures” with a large paint brush and Plain water on the pavement. As the sun shone they dried up...or “magically disappeared”! She pretended to “paint” the fence and the window frames, doors etc with her wet brush too....Hours of imaginative summer fun!

annodomini Sat 18-Apr-20 10:18:26

Oh yes, they would, Nannan2!

When we were kids, 70 years ago, we used to pinch the donkey stone, normally used for whitening the doorsteps, to make 'peevers' (Scottish kind of hopscotch) beds on the tarmac road. That washed off when it rained, as it did on the doorsteps as well.

Molli Sat 18-Apr-20 10:20:29

We live in a rural area and our road is mainly older people or families where children have grown up. We have a few younger families and the other week they were all outside infront of their houses playing in the road with chalks - drawing pictures and messages and a giant hopscotch.
It was brilliant to see and yes I did the hopscotch with my dog much to their delight. It washes off! Just enjoy the creativity of these children.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:21:53

Its an offence?ive never known anyone 'get done' for little kids chalkings,-only for youths with spray paint maybe?And what bobby would bother to charge anyone for supporting our NHS& keyworkers right now.?i think all who are complaining are going slightly mad with this lockdown..And to all who are moaning,get a good strong old fashioned wooden scrubbing brush,and some bleach..give you less time to moan.grin

Lucca Sat 18-Apr-20 10:25:20

It appears Victor Meldrew is alive and well......

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:25:36

It is difficult for children right now. My estate normally has children playing out on a Saturday and you can hear them laughing and arguing. It is silent right now.
So what if they have done something that might cause a bit of inconvenient. They can't just go out and play. They should only do it on their own property but they are children.
There are worst things to get annoyed about. My neighbour's grandson obviously carried something into the property which has left dark splashes on our hallway and it looks filthy. Made worse by the fact that the window in our security door has shattered and the council is only dealing with emergency repairs (understandably). It makes me very cross and a bit embarrassed because this is a nice block that is beginning to look like a slum. The flat downstairs has the windows boarded up as well.
I wouldn't mention it though because he is working full time and trying to take care of his grandmother and he let me use his internet when mine went down.
Unless you live in an isolated house in the country, you have to be able to shrug things off. It will all get better in a few months and in the meantime the world has had a rest from our activity.