Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we all really not having our hair done?

(156 Posts)
Americanpie Thu 23-Apr-20 19:34:31

Anyone else starting to notice that many TV presenters and news readers are still looking immaculate, with lovely makeup and hair done to perfection? I know of at least two newsreaders who recently admitted to being grey and yet not a sign of roots on display. I've no axe to grind, I'm a silver vixen but it does annoy me that some of us are not playing fair. Or am I just getting fed up with it all?

Sussexborn Thu 23-Apr-20 19:37:54

Some people on tv look a little well groomed than they normally do. Perhaps it is some kind of badge of honour and has to be carefully calculated!

lemongrove Thu 23-Apr-20 20:01:22

Nicola Sturgeon is still having her hair done, it was a slightly darker colour yesterday and styled as usual.
One or two presenters actually look a little better for being more natural with their make up.
Keir Starmer has lost his Hawaii Five 0 look grin and we will never know with Boris as he favours the chopped with the kitchen scissors look all the time.

vampirequeen Thu 23-Apr-20 20:05:18

My hair seems to be growing exponentially. I fear that if this goes on much longer it will become self aware and take over the world.

EllanVannin Thu 23-Apr-20 20:06:53

The one who's on now doesn't look as though her hair's been washed, never mind styled. It's lank and as straight as a bundle of candles.

lemongrove Thu 23-Apr-20 20:07:09

Like triffids?

Gwynn Thu 23-Apr-20 20:10:19

Not only hair...my “dip-it” nails have bit the dust. I bought the fake French manicure nails with glue. I may like these just fine! I love the price!

annep1 Thu 23-Apr-20 20:19:34

Lemongrove grin

Lorraine Kelly cut her husband's hair and is showing the deed tomorrow.
My hair looks nicer. I've found a wonderful volumising conditioner too - Charles Worthington. I don't think I'll go back to the very short cut that I had.

Evie64 Thu 23-Apr-20 20:21:58

My hair is beginning to resemble a grey birds nest shock. My feet, I usually have a pedicure about every month, are beginning to resemble hooves. As for my fingernails, I've cut them all down very short. Hence I dropped a needle the other day and couldn't pick it up! Grrr angry

BlueBelle Thu 23-Apr-20 20:29:50

Well I feel quite good as the only thing I don’t do myself is hair cut but I think I can if I have to I don’t go anywhere but the hairdresser so I m self sufficient (almost)

GagaJo Thu 23-Apr-20 20:44:40

If we're in lockdown for the full 12 weeks it was said we could be, I COULD have my dyed hair cut off and have long enough roots to go au naturale. The last time I saw my undyed hair, it was after it grew back post chemo. It was white then. Now it just looks grey. I fancy giving it a go though.

Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 20:45:10

I’ve done my first ever home dye with the help of my husband and have taken the time to use some of the many hair tools I own!
My hair is looking better than ever!!

Callistemon Thu 23-Apr-20 20:47:28

DH just asked if I will cut his hair tomorrow and offered to do mine!!

Eeek.
I'm happy to do his (he doesn't have much now) but I'm not letting him near mine. It hasn't recovered yet from the last disastrous cut by a supposedly trained hairdresser.

phoenix Thu 23-Apr-20 20:47:36

So glad I took the plunge and let the grey win!

So, no problem with roots, but the "style"????

Callistemon Thu 23-Apr-20 20:48:25

You could do that Gagajo and then choose a snazzy colour, eg purple, after lockdown.

Grannybags Thu 23-Apr-20 20:53:39

I'm pleased that I had already let the grey show. However my hair is usually very short and I keep chopping bits off as and when they annoy me.

It's still shortish at the front but getting longer and longer at the back!

Callistemon Thu 23-Apr-20 20:56:44

Some people do have wonderful hair that looks great with very little fuss and bother.
I do know someone like that (and she is nice as well!)

Unfortunately I am not one of those people.

EllanVannin Thu 23-Apr-20 20:59:57

I just "wash and go" as the hair curls itself-----until I brush it out and I look like the wild man of Borneo. It needs a wax treatment or something, anti-frizz to calm it down.

ValerieF Thu 23-Apr-20 21:13:27

I have always coloured my own hair since I was about 14! Many hairdressers have complimented on my ability to do it myself so I ordered a few boxes of colour in. I can't cut it myself but as my hairstyle is plain and simple and just grows down the way, the only thing I have to do is cut my fringe. I just wonder what length it will end up? Not had plaits since I was in high school lol.

Sallywally1 Thu 23-Apr-20 21:17:54

Mine is ghastly, but OH decided to cut his own hair the other day! He looks like a convict.

My son wondered why I had let him appear in public, as if I had a choice! (I was at work when the deed was done and it seems that whilst he shaved his head he also broke the mirror so really I am glad I was at work - I am admin for the NHS).

Funny times we live in.

GagaJo Thu 23-Apr-20 21:19:26

I was a snazzy colour before. Luminious red. Fire engine red. So red I was afraid I'd get sacked after the half term holiday when I went back to school.

Now I'm between a bright peach and fading ginger. With roots.

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Apr-20 21:45:01

If I had ribbon I could have two pretty bunches as I had about 70 years ago. I am going to have to take the scissors to my hair and as I am partially sighted, God knows what the end result will be but at least I will not see the back, even with a mirror!

DillytheGardener Thu 23-Apr-20 22:10:17

Mine is a mess. I’ve been using the L’Oréal roots spray, which is fine for a couple of weeks of regrowth but 5 weeks later I’m having to cover an inch and a half, and it’s made my hair all strange and stiff.
I don’t know how I’d get on with dying it from home, I’d need help and I don’t want DH see me warts and all!

paddyanne Thu 23-Apr-20 22:16:36

Nicola Sturgeon did her own ,tutored by her hairdresser online.Its there for all to see ,she also cut her husbands but as she said there was a lot less of his to make a mess of.Sorry to disappoint you lemon she's not having hairdresser visits ,shes just doing what the rest of us are ,you can find the video on line if you're inclined to disbelieve me

SirChenjin Thu 23-Apr-20 22:17:47

I’m getting away with a box dye which is actually making me wonder if I need to pay to get it done at the hairdressers - it doesn’t look any different to the ash blonde I usually get. It definitely needs a good cut though shock

I have wondered about Nicola Sturgeon (and others) in the public eye - she’s definitely been shorn professionally envy