Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we all really not having our hair done?

(157 Posts)
Americanpie Thu 23-Apr-20 19:34:31

Anyone else starting to notice that many TV presenters and news readers are still looking immaculate, with lovely makeup and hair done to perfection? I know of at least two newsreaders who recently admitted to being grey and yet not a sign of roots on display. I've no axe to grind, I'm a silver vixen but it does annoy me that some of us are not playing fair. Or am I just getting fed up with it all?

gulligranny Tue 19-May-20 20:26:55

Ladies, I'm afraid I must confess to you all that this lockdown is actually all my fault. Just after my last haircut (short, spiky, natural silver) I caught myself wondering how my hair would look if I let it grow, but dismissed the idea as I would have to be in a situation where I couldn't visit my hairdresser for weeks/months .....

Sorry! (BTW, it looks quite nice if a bit untidy, thanks for asking).

merlotgran Tue 19-May-20 20:30:22

Much as I think Joanna Lumley is a great style icon for my age group - she's a year older than me, I find it hard to believe she cuts her own hair.

You don't cut above the fingers (she said 'above scissors' which was confusing) but below. Your fingers are the guide.

Maybe she cuts her fringe but then that's not difficult.

SueH49 Wed 20-May-20 05:41:18

Just had a message from my hairdresser saying she was returning to work and would book me in the week after next. It will be 14 weeks since mine was cut and it is usually done every 5 weeks. Hip hip hooray, I can't wait.

Carenza123 Wed 20-May-20 07:32:50

I am sure quite a few people are having their hair done by clandestine hairdressers in lock down. We are sticking to the rules and have bought some hair trimmers lately. I have always liked to manage my own hair in between hairdressing appointments and it has stood me in good stead now. Also experience in trimming one of our dogs years ago! My son was desperate for me to cut his hair and he was reasonably pleased with the results - as was my husband, luckily. Unfortunately my sister-in-law (who cannot manage her hair for toffee) has resorted to keeping her mane in place by two hair clips - not at all a good look when you are over eighty! Let’s hope we can get back to some semblance of normal soon.

Brunette10 Wed 20-May-20 08:01:28

I am over due a haircut/colour by 8 weeks now. Have a short style so you can imagine how I'm looking, a state. However I will just have to carry on until our lockdown has been lifted and hairdressers are allowed back to work. I notice that NS hair is neat and tidy not sure how she does it though.

sodapop Wed 20-May-20 09:12:00

Hairdressing appointment this afternoon just for a cut. I was at the dentist yesterday to have my crowns finally put in. It's all very strange, waiting outside, wearing masks etc etc. I suppose its something we will have to get used to.