Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we all really not having our hair done?

(157 Posts)
Americanpie Thu 23-Apr-20 19:34:31

Anyone else starting to notice that many TV presenters and news readers are still looking immaculate, with lovely makeup and hair done to perfection? I know of at least two newsreaders who recently admitted to being grey and yet not a sign of roots on display. I've no axe to grind, I'm a silver vixen but it does annoy me that some of us are not playing fair. Or am I just getting fed up with it all?

paddyanne Thu 23-Apr-20 22:19:47

she definately hasn't sirchenjin see my post above and check online for the video

Callistemon Thu 23-Apr-20 22:20:48

Sophie Raworth looked as if she'd done her own hair and it looked very pretty.

SirChenjin Thu 23-Apr-20 22:24:14

I can see photos of her holding the scissors but no video?

I’m not really bothered tbh, it’s up to her what she does with her hair and who she gets to do it.

Callistemon Thu 23-Apr-20 22:26:13

Well, I need some tips from Nicola Sturgeon because I always think that she has 'difficult hair' like me which needs cutting well or else it looks disastrous.

Dollymc1 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:27:49

Dilly, stop using it ? I used a well known root cover up and my hair broke off where I had sprayed it. It took ages to grow back

Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 22:44:54

DillytheGardener Look at ESalon on line, you answer questions about your hair and can submit a picture.

You then get your options, I went a shade darker than normal.
I’ve had hi-lights for years so have gone from medium to dark blonde.

My hair looks great, a friend was so impressed she immediately ordered and is thrilled with the results.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:52:51

It's just hair, for goodness sake. It's not as if you're going anywhere special, anytime soon!

TwiceAsNice Thu 23-Apr-20 23:03:32

My daughter cut mine for me today and she did a really good job considering she’s not a hairdresser. Oh the relief of not having hair all down my neck it was driving me mad! Not a lot of colour left now though unfortunately it’ll have to show partly grey until I get back to my lovely hairdresser he’s amazing!

Daisymae Thu 23-Apr-20 23:10:14

I have cut my fringe after watching a YouTube video. It looks ok, nearly carried on but decided to quit while I was ahead. May have another go, very glad that I got my hairdresser to cut it short at what turned out to be my last visit for sometime

MayBee70 Thu 23-Apr-20 23:14:38

I was only saying today that Beth Rigbys hair looked amazing for someone with a fringed bob cut; maybe they've all taken to wearing wigs?

maddyone Thu 23-Apr-20 23:25:59

I had a hairdressing appointment for the week we locked down, which meant I was in need of a colour and cut right from the beginning. My hair is just growing longer and longer, normally it’s a longish bob, now I don’t know what it is. Luckily the roots aren’t too dark.

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Apr-20 23:38:58

My hair’s never good at the best of times, but we’ve only been in lockdown for a month, haven’t we? hmm Mine only gets a trim every 6 weeks or so, but if it all goes on longer than that I’ll just tie it back or stick a headband on.

Missedout Thu 23-Apr-20 23:42:46

I cut my own hair this morning - I couldn't stand the sight of myself on videos and my last ‘pixie' haircut was 8 weeks ago.
I stripped down to nothing and stood on a towel in the en suite, damped my hair and did my best with a pair of scissors (bought for the purpose) and a couple of mirrors. It was harder than I had imagined. I picked up layers of hair between my fingers in the way that hairdressers do but, when it came to trying to cut it using the mirror, I kept missing!

When I had finished, I had hobbits’s feet and oh the mess. I brushed myself down and had a shower. The washbasin under the mirror was covered with clippings and despite standing on a towel, most of my cut hair missed it. It took absolutely ages to clean. All I can say is that I can see out now and no longer look as if I have a cat sitting on my head.

I did get my husband to help and cut the hair on the nape of my neck. He just chopped it off. Oh well, I can’t see that bit.

My husband says ‘it looks alright'. hmm

Sussexborn Fri 24-Apr-20 00:08:49

I think we may revert back to the late 60s when we first met. I had very long hair and OH’s hair was considerably longer than mine is now. I can’t see my roots very well but think they are light grey or possibly white but hopefully they blend in with the dark blonde colour.

My friend cut her own hair following YouTube videos and seems happy with the results. I am pretty cack handed so will put a hair band on and look like a mad bag lady! I can wear a mask if necessary to disguise myself from the people who won’t see me.

Carillion01 Fri 24-Apr-20 00:29:16

I'm coping just about ok, apart from my fringe!!

DH has wonderfully curly hair but only at the back which I never usually see as he keeps it very short. The hair on the top and sides of his head is relatively straight so his hair is now starting to resemble that of a 1970's footballer (the ones who paid pounds for their perms...)

Sparklefizz Fri 24-Apr-20 08:54:23

My hair was beginning to resemble Zoe Ball's as shown last night on The Big Night In, as in Olde English Sheepdog style, but I have cut my fringe and now I can see. The rest will have to wait.

TerriBull Fri 24-Apr-20 09:04:07

I read that hairdressers may be closed for the next six months sad Heaven knows what we will all look like shock will pony tails become a thing for men again? or maybe they'll just all resort to buzz cuts, hope not! Oh well I'll just keep topping up my hair colour which I managed to get on line.

Nanna58 Fri 24-Apr-20 09:22:55

Congratulations , you’re nurturing a ‘ mullet’ like me Grannybags ! I’m finding the L’ Oreal root cover weird and stiff too.

Pittcity Fri 24-Apr-20 09:24:04

The 70s are back.
I grew out my colour and fringe last year and invested in clips and bands. Experimenting with tying hair up is a lot less scary than cutting it myself.
As for celebs, did you see Claudia Winkleman last night.....?

SirChenjin Fri 24-Apr-20 09:29:08

No - what did she look like?!

paddyanne Fri 24-Apr-20 09:35:57

Nicola Sturgeon was to blame for my OH deciding to cut his hair...all well and good except his hair is always longish and very thick and curly .He saw the video a week past on Saturday when she was doing hers and after a couple of nice malts took up both scissors and clipper.Hes a man who goes to a proper hairdresser normally and spends a fortune .
When he shouted down at 1 am and asked for some help I was a bit worried and rightly so.He had been trimming the same part constantly and it was a wee bit too short .Two weeks down the line its not too bad but its still a lot shorter than he usually wears it

harrigran Fri 24-Apr-20 09:44:06

My hairdresser was due the day after lockdown so it is quite a while since it was cut, I have not had it coloured since chemo so it is completely grey now.
I thought the last time it was cut the hairdresser got a bit carried away so a bit extra growth will allow me to change the style.
DH normally has his cut every two weeks and is starting to resemble Robinson Crusoe because he has let his beard grow too.
I did suggest he shave his beard but he claims the girls in the supermarket are kind to him because it makes him look old. I have news for him, he is old grin

Sparklefizz Fri 24-Apr-20 09:46:23

As for celebs, did you see Claudia Winkleman last night.....?

She was obviously doing it for effect and a laugh. grin

grannyrebel7 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:00:02

Lemon grove- I just watched Lorraine Kelly cut her husband's hair. Big fuss over nothing, hyped up throughout the show, but it looked absolutely fine. Celebs showing off again smile

Scottiebear Fri 24-Apr-20 10:10:08

Stig has been doing Sky press preview from home. His hair and beard seem to be getting longer every time I see him.