Gransnet forums

AIBU

Partner buying joint presents with wife

(149 Posts)
Jillybird Fri 01-May-20 11:56:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

4allweknow Sat 02-May-20 10:03:32

His ex must also be on the mean side if she too thinks £30 is adequate. As you say it is DP view about Mobley but he is obviously not alone. Perhaps the son is the same! Let them get on with it. The constant referencing to costs in 1969 would drive me mad afraid, in less of course there are implications of dementia.

Coconut Sat 02-May-20 10:03:55

I think you def need to chat to clear the air. I think you need to tell him that altho it’s his business what he sends his son, you think it’s very mean as he is far from skint. It is an unusual thing to send cash with his ex, however, if they’ve stayed good friends that’s not a bad thing. If does make things hard at times living with a mean person, my 1st husband was terribly mean, even his mum called him Shylock or Scrooge. He is extremely wealthy as he married into money 2nd time around but still won’t spend a penny if he can get away with it, never treats our grandchildren etc they never change.

Rivernana Sat 02-May-20 10:06:53

I think it's up to them how much they send. If he concealed the message from you then it would be an issue. Also if they send an amount jointly there would only be one transfer fee. I don't think you should interfere with parents and son by sending money yourself. And, as someone has already remarked, it is not a landmark birthday.

Sandigold Sat 02-May-20 10:06:57

I wonder if this is a kind of last straw... You would probably be banging your head against a brick wall to try to get him to change his beliefs about presents. Maybe he thinks love is shown in other ways. There is a book called "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman that is really interesting about this. Good luck.

timetogo2016 Sat 02-May-20 10:14:19

If i was his son i would send it back with a note telling them they must need the money more than he does.
Cheap pair of people.
I do think it`s rather strange they do a joint gift as they are divorced.
Each to their own i suppose.
I give that amount to my G/children.

Dealite Sat 02-May-20 10:18:11

Realising that there are three in a relationship is the problem! Having ‘discovered’ (although possibly never hidden?) their arrangement regarding the birthday present I’m sure ‘Jillybird’ your wondering what other matters are ‘shared’ or ‘discussed’ without your knowledge? I’m divorced now but was married to a man who had been married before, when visiting to see his daughter he wasn’t allowed to park the car (with me in it) in front of the house, he would visit with my son but not with me! (What can I say, I was so young and he was 16 years older) but when we moved to our new house (many years later as financially it was tough) I was presented with a visit from his ex-wife, daughter (I was a second mom to his daughter for 12 years or so by then as she stayed every second weekend) and boyfriend for a weekend stay, this was not discussed with me! That’s when I realised there was a third person influencing my relationship and although he promised never to do that again he did and the subsequent fallout of those actions was divorce! I too couldn’t initially couldn’t get to grips with it? Ultimately it was ok to upset me but not his ex-wife! I or our son were not his priority, only second best! When I divorced him after a couple of years he was back with wife No 1. One day I’ll write the book!!!!!!

Nannymarg53 Sat 02-May-20 10:18:23

Wife??!! Not ex wife? ?

Missiseff Sat 02-May-20 10:18:24

Let it go. His Son, his money, his decision. The only person that it's bothering is you and is it worth it, really?
To be honest, if he's that mean, I'd let him go too. Money's for spending, not saving. Life's too short, and way too short to fret about things like this. Let it go.

Riggie Sat 02-May-20 10:18:55

I think £30 is fine for an ordinary birthday for an adult who is presumably working.

Abuelana Sat 02-May-20 10:21:58

Previous family dynamics - I’d leave alone and let them get on with it. Making sure you treat your nearest and dearest they way you want to. Don’t think it’s worth the upset.

Hawera1 Sat 02-May-20 10:22:01

I think the amount is stingy. I give my boys NZ $200. You've told him how you feel just ignore it and let it go. My Husband was so tight in the early days too but now I have to rein him in.

Hawera1 Sat 02-May-20 10:23:15

Just don't let him influence what you spend on your kids. If his kids ever comment about the difference just say I tried.

ToadsMum Sat 02-May-20 10:26:58

Have you ever pointed out that he “can’t take it with him”. If he is building up his money then a) presumably son is in for some sizeable inheritance b) HMRC will benefit from his miserliness. Better to make sizeable gifts surely now if he can ? Also on that issue, is his (ex) wife entitled too ?

Moggycuddler Sat 02-May-20 10:27:01

I tend to be a bit emotional about things like that, so I sort of get where you're coming from. It would make me feel a bit weird too, if he was arranging stuff like that with his ex wife. I would certainly rather his ex wife bought their son her own separate present. But on an objective level, it's probably nothing to really worry about. The amount is a bit stingy, yes. Have they always just bought each other "token" small presents? Some families agree to do that rather than spend a lot. Really though, I'd just let him get on with it and try to forget about it. No real need to make a big thing out of it that could get all out of proportion.

JaneRn Sat 02-May-20 10:36:02

Did you not have any inkling before you moved in together of this man's attitude to money and if so did it not worry you? Frankly, if he was as mean as you say I would have run a mile What a skinflint!.

jaylucy Sat 02-May-20 10:39:19

I don't think that sending a joint present with his ex wife to THEIR son is odd at all but only sending an amount that, after exchange rate, bank charges etc will probably only be about $40, if that, for a landmark birthday is a bit mean! Mind you, that might just about buy a slab of beer , so he might be quite happy with that!
I know it's hard, but when you are with someone that has a past, that past is not just going to disappear and when there are joint family involved, I would certainly be happier that the two parents were still on good terms that the vitriol between two people that is more often described on here!

Phloembundle Sat 02-May-20 10:39:26

What on earth are you so bothered about? It's not your son and you're not his wife. Butt out!

VioletSky2059 Sat 02-May-20 10:40:34

Hi Jillybird
Are you able to talk to your partner about how you feel, what you need or want in your relationship?
Maybe the money & the shared gifting isn’t the issue that is really making you uncomfortable because you have written about so much more.

Caro57 Sat 02-May-20 10:45:39

Seems odd - I wouldn't dream of doing joint presents with my ex - neither would he. Also when DD was in Aus ex did send her some money (probably a similar amount) and by the time she had exchanged £ to AUD$ there was pretty much nothing left! Current DH and I now order online in Aus to get gifts sent direct to my stepson....

TATT Sat 02-May-20 10:47:38

I can see why you are upset.
My former husband asks me to put both our names on Christmas and birthday presents and pays for half. It’s because he has no idea what to get them as he doesn’t see them as often as I do. It rankles a bit, but I do it. I can assure you that, other than a calm relationship for the sake of family, it means nothing.

Carolpaint Sat 02-May-20 10:50:47

You have listed other areas where he is a skinflint, coffees out, meals out that has an impact on you, how dull he makes your lives. Money halves every decade so the current amount would be around 500 pounds, that seems a mite extravagant.
He seems uxorious but to his first wife, that is what would hurt me.

Houndi Sat 02-May-20 10:51:58

I am sorry but i could nevercbe married to anyone mean with their money.As farcas i am concern if you are meancwith your money you are meanxwith your emotions

Buttonjugs Sat 02-May-20 10:52:25

My dad who is now elderly has been giving me £20 for my birthday for 40 years! I just find it amusing.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 02-May-20 10:53:45

I don't know about the UK, but here it is quite usual for divorced couples to share birthday presents to their joint children, both when they are children and when they are adults.

I honestly think you are allowing yourself to be hurt by something that wasn't meant to hurt you, and which perhaps your husband and his ex-wife didn't really ever consider could concern you in any way.

He asked your opinion about how much to send, you gave him it, and when he heard from the young man's mother he mentioned what she had said.

Leave it at that, and try not to be so shocked. It isn't worth spoiling your relationship over.

DotMH1901 Sat 02-May-20 10:54:00

I send my son £30 for his birthday (he is 43 and lives in the USA with my d-i-l who is American and my grandchildren). I also send my d-i-l £30 for her birthday and the same each for the two kiddies (this year I have sent extra for the kiddies because they haven't/won't be able to have their usual parties). I don't consider £30 to be a small amount of money (I'm retired) and if I were to get £30 as a gift I'd be tickled pink. I give the same amount to my daughter and three grandkiddies here in the UK - I live with them so know they are happy to get £30 and don't consider it a laughable amount for me to give them, especially since I retired and have less income. My Auntie sent a 5/- postal order for years for my birthday up to my 16th when she wrote in the card that she wouldn't be sending it anymore as I was now 'working'. It was her card and the fact that she remembered my bithday at all that I appreciated more than the postal order! Perhaps your OH arranged to split the birthday money years ago when their marriage ended? Do you send his son a gift or card together as well or has it always been your OH job to deal with it whilst you have been together? I think you should leave well alone in this case if you don't normally contribute to the present yourself and let the two parents deal with it.