Gransnet forums

AIBU

Noisy Neighbours

(167 Posts)
caramel Tue 12-May-20 09:43:58

AIBU on the lovely bank holiday afternoon sitting in the garden with my locked in family. The neighbours decided to mow and strim their lawn even though they could hear we were in the garden. I was very upset and feel that they should not have been doing this on a special afternoon when the sun was shining. Arn't we allowed any time any more when we can relax and enjoy our gardens without constant noise.

Lorettac Tue 12-May-20 10:36:39

Just don’t understand any of this. People mowing their lawn in the day, children playing , dogs barking !!
It’s what happens!! How do you keep children from steaming whilst playing and a dog from barking !!
Just relax and let it happen as you getting wound up won’t help and all you do is then get on bad terms with neighbours , which I think would be worse.

Molli Tue 12-May-20 10:37:31

I’m not sure gardening - mowing and strimming - is really noisy. Maybe for a shortish time. We have a big garden and it takes hubby 30 mins to mow the grass. I don’t think they thought that they were upsetting you. On VE Day a local close had a street party and some of the families went on until 3am with music blaring out! That I felt was disrespectful!

Xrgran Tue 12-May-20 10:38:16

Well I hate strimmers which often harm hedgehogs and lawn mowers as a wild flower lawn is best for nature but my DH loves hedged trimmers, lawn mowers etc etc and rarely pays attention to when he does it but as all of the other men nearby are exactly the same no one apart from me minds ?

BoBo53 Tue 12-May-20 10:38:33

We’ve recently acquired new neighbours who have subsequently separated. We now have either three screaming over excited children when they visit or Dad with his drunken mates effing and blinding in the newly installed hot tub and all despite lockdown. Oh for the sounds of a lawnmower and strimmer!

patchworksue Tue 12-May-20 10:38:50

My neighbors are usually very quiet , we live tucked away with just us and neighbors.... we get on ok but generally don’t socialize..... last week they bought a hot tub and placed it by side of our conservatory and patio ... so while it’s on there’s a constant hum ... it drive me mad ! .... then it got me thinking am I being unreasonable? But it really did spoil the peace and quiet inside and out... on the second day I played very loud music while it was on! ?

Chewbacca Tue 12-May-20 10:40:29

32,000 people in this country alone have died from the virus. Thousands more are still fighting for their lives. And you're mithering about a neighbour mowing his grass on a sunny afternoon whilst you're playing your radio. Have I understood that properly? Yes, you're being very unreasonable. Get a grip caramel, there's a dear.

Jinty44 Tue 12-May-20 10:40:59

patchworksue, have you told your neighbours about the hum?

shysal Tue 12-May-20 10:45:26

For those who work those jobs have to be done at the weekend.

I wouldn't normally complain about gardening noises, but an army of family visited my next door neighbour on bank holiday and strimmed, mowed and chain sawed at the same time as shouting non-stop to each other and playing a radio.

It was a neglected garden so this took all day. I managed to relax in the evening until the young lady home-owner took part in an online virtual party which involved shouting into her phone in speaker mode in the garden, until gone 2am!

All has been quiet since, so I hope it wasn't a taste of things to come with this new neighbour.

Jishere Tue 12-May-20 10:46:21

Oh dear have you thought that was the only time that they could do it, they might be at work the other times! These nosies are like birdsong. What would you do if your neighbours owl hoots all night?

Jeannie59 Tue 12-May-20 10:46:32

We have a football field adjourned to our back garden
When football is in full season, it is constantly in use and the language and shouting is dreadful.
Even local language schools use it, when no matches or practice
My husband and I are aware how quiet it is now there isnt any footie on atm
Maybe if I liked football, I would be able to tolerate it more
It has gotten busier since we moved in 22 years ago, as it is council owned

Cat4 Tue 12-May-20 10:47:20

I live in a block of flats with really noisy neighbours. I hear their music in every room in my flat. When it’s quieter music I still hear it but only in the kitchen and bedroom. I have asked them (youngsters with babies) to turn it down and get told it’s only on number 2! I hear them swearing at their young children. Often woken up at night with them shouted at the children. They shout from the balcony to people below. The other day I heard her shouting I need a piss (just what we all need to know). I tried complaining about the music last week and no one answered the door later that evening I complained again and when I mentioned the afternoon music I was told oh sorry we went out and left it on! Never mind all the visitors on the small balcony. All this is really annoying both when I am trying to work at home and also just trying to relax. I will be officially complaining if it carries on.

4allweknow Tue 12-May-20 10:47:59

I'd be grateful if it was lawn mixing and strimming I had to complain about. I have a childminder (actually contravening the Conditions of the property) and the screaming and yelling not only from the children but the neighbour herself drives me mad. This can go on for hours. I could wipe out the problem overnight by informing the organisation for approving childminders as restriction on property is a definite no no. But otherwise the couple are good people, no rowdy parties, drugs and they keep the place very tidy. To go on a bit, I did have a problems with loud thumping music being players, doors and windows open, so loud I couldn't sit in the garden. The 10 year old next door had to shout so loudly to tell Alexa to change that she activated our Alexa in our house. This went on for 5 days. To try to stop it I merely sat outside when I knew the neighbour was also sitting out and pretended to speak to someone on the phone that I had followed their advice and contacted the Council re noise and I had been given advice on keeping a record of days and times. Before I had finished the phone call Akexa shouted at to stop and there has been no music outside since. Who in their right mind sits outside in the sunshine with music blaring. I am convinced many 30/40 year olds have hearing damage as will their children before long.

optimist Tue 12-May-20 10:48:26

I found myself getting grumpy about the children next door playing football, especially against the wall. Thump thump thump. and then I decided that yes, I was being unreasonable. And I let it go.

Dillyduck Tue 12-May-20 10:50:20

Our neighbours are all at home, all the time.
Meanwhile my son works for the council. Four engineers making sure the 260 vehicles they are responsible all have their 6 week safety checks (legal requirement) and are kept in working order. This week his alarm goes off at 4.30 am, as it's his turn to be at the yard in another town 15 miles away well before the vehicles leave at 6am. His usual yard is 2 miles away, but one of the engineers is self isolating, so they are spreading the workload between the remaining engineers. Next week he is "on call" for one of the largest local authorities in the country, that's a whole week of responding to anything out of hours. With someone from the drainage department, they are responsible for anything that crops up, including emergency housing issues too! He gets so tired that he comes in, sometimes having worked 12 hours without a proper break, I give him a drink, and he sits in the recliner and falls fast asleep. We have a large garden which he looks after for me as I'm disabled. We have lots of power tools to make managing it to keep it tidy. Hedge cutters, strimmers, and a garden tractor. Sunday may be the only time he is home long enough to use them. So be grateful that your locked in family is safe, while other people are working their socks off to make sure that essential services are still being provided!!

Glorybee Tue 12-May-20 10:51:07

Lawnmowers are a sound of summer, I don’t mind them but wind chimes are something else. I love sound the wind rushing and roaring through the trees but wind chimes are quite horrible, definitely noise pollution to my ears.

Jacks10 Tue 12-May-20 10:51:48

Sorry, I think you are being unreasonable. May be a good reason to do the mowing and strimming on that day. Quite honestly one day is the same as another these days!!!! Relax

Camelotclub Tue 12-May-20 10:52:40

Some of the gardens round us have huge lawns so mowing can take all day! You just have to put up with it. Wish that firms could invent a quiet or even silent mower! (Ditto hairdryers while we're about it.)

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 10:53:08

I would think many of you should thank your lucky stars that you don't live next door to whinging neighbours.grin

Woodburners are the bane of my life when the wind blows in the wrong direction. I sit sneezing my head off and end up totally exhausted with a runny nose and sore eyes and feel unwell too. The smoke/fumes seep into every nook and cranny. I have to endure it ! No choice.

The above is far worse than any noise, especially mowing which I love the smell, a far cry from those horrible chimneys.

Jishere Tue 12-May-20 10:54:26

Shysal what would you prefer an overgrown garden or a neighbour who looks after her garden?

Sometimes I wish people would cut people some slack, I have neighbours who have constantly complained about my garden: slightly overgrown although I was doing What I could to maintain it whilst working 6 days a week. Complaint was foxes living in my garden had attacked there cats and I'm unapproachable! That is why I let them in to look for said cat. Now they have hacked 3 trees down when they only needed to cut down 2 of them. People only care about themselves!! Now having the time I'm revamping it but I need a bit of music to go with that!!

Mapleleaf Tue 12-May-20 10:56:19

I know mowers and strimmers can be noisy (especially petrol ones), but, unless your neighbours have a stonking great field to mow, it's not going to last too long, is it? There has to be a little give and take, so yes, I think YABU over this. If your neighbours were brawling, swearing, holding parties with music bearing out for hours on end, then you'd have good reason to be upset, but they weren't, were they? What are they like generally?

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 12-May-20 10:56:42

It was only cutting the lawn and it doesn't last long at the end of the day so don't think unreasonable at all. I don't go and ask my neighbours if they mind when I cut the lawn and wouldn't expect them to ask me when they cut. I would far rather a neighbour cut their lawn instead of leaving and becoming a jungle.

However, I spent a lot of time in Germany and when I was there the local council allocated a set time on a set day for people to cut the lawn and you weren't allowed to do it on other days or you were fined. What happened when it rained on allocated day I can't remember!

SALTburn64 Tue 12-May-20 10:59:51

Not a well thought out comment.

inishowen Tue 12-May-20 11:01:36

I wouldn't dream of moaning about neighbours looking after their garden. Its par for the course if you live next to someone. Our neighbours have no grandchildren but tolerate the noise ours make when they visit. They even dig out toys that belonged to their now adult children. Be kind, live and let live.

Scotpiper Tue 12-May-20 11:02:23

I think mowing and strimming, etc. are reasonable activities. Anyone who has a garden needs to do that.

dianne2265 Tue 12-May-20 11:02:26

Yes you are being unreasonable. The coronavirus doesn't stop the grass growing. If they had an overgrown garden no doubt you would be moaning about that! Sorry if you think I am being harsh but we are both key workers and have to do the garden when we can. I didn't have the luxury of being off on the bank holiday much as I would have liked to.