Gransnet forums

AIBU

Noisy Neighbours

(167 Posts)
caramel Tue 12-May-20 09:43:58

AIBU on the lovely bank holiday afternoon sitting in the garden with my locked in family. The neighbours decided to mow and strim their lawn even though they could hear we were in the garden. I was very upset and feel that they should not have been doing this on a special afternoon when the sun was shining. Arn't we allowed any time any more when we can relax and enjoy our gardens without constant noise.

Washerwoman Wed 13-May-20 08:47:04

Good grief.Mowing the lawn on a nice day?Be grateful you don't have a neighbour like my DDs who and built a gazebo the other side of her fence and attached outdoor speakers.At least once a week in the summer he seems to think it's ok to play loud music -even worse a commercial radio station with repeated adverts - for several hours.After a polite request they have turned the volume down a bit, but still it's very annoying.
And generally we've had weeks of good weather in this country and those lucky enough to have gardens have had so much time to enjoy them. .They have hardly picked the one fine day this spring !

gangstergranny Wed 13-May-20 09:13:57

I think people are good to garden if they want to. Perhaps you could have gone around and explained what you were doing (from a 2 meter mark of course). I have a 200ft hedge which I have to cut twice a year and guess what my neighbours around here reported me to the local council for an overgrown hedge (it wasn't) but the tiny path that borders it is only 18" wide. They find it awkward to walk their dog and excrement.....something I have to clear up! I explained as soon as nesting was over I would and have done so for the last 26 years, so you are damned if you do/don't. Now the thing that neighbours do which boils my blood is to start a garden fire which is unsociable/unhealthy to people with asthma etc and totally unnecessary. Sorry for the rant it's been brewing for years......sad

Marthjolly1 Wed 13-May-20 10:59:33

Nice for you to have a garden to relax in. No doubt if your neighbours had no interest in their garden, never cut the lawn you would complain because it looked a mess. So selfish to be so intolerant of others. What happened to 'Be Kind' that sentiment must have passed by you.

Joesoap Wed 13-May-20 11:15:52

Maybe it is the only time they had to cut the grass,personally I have never asked the neigbours before I cut the grass which only takes me half an hour, other neighbours have never asked either its just a thing we all do, and certainly dont want to annoy anyone, we are all in the same boat arent we .Good luck for the rest of the summer, lawns will need cutting more often.Make sure you dont cut when the neighbours are outside!

Harris27 Wed 13-May-20 11:19:14

With everything that is going on this is being a bit unreasonable. They are probably filling there time in at this awkward moment and cutting the grass will be one of the ways of keeping busy.

Nana4 Wed 13-May-20 11:43:15

Caramel, you did set everyone off, didn’t you!!
I was shocked to hear what others say they have to put up with. They have my upmost sincere sympathy.

angiemary64 Wed 13-May-20 13:49:29

Yes, unreasonable. Maybe the lockdown has made some of us a little oversensitive.
Absolutely would not play radio full blast though 'Barmyoldbat, l have always thought that this was incredibly selfish, and would annoy neighbours from all sides. If they in turn got their radios out.... well you can imagine.

Flowie Wed 13-May-20 14:52:23

Carmel you are very lucky, try living next door to our diy fanatic neighbours, for the past fortnight every day out with pneumatic drill breaking up drive, I think the whole road is breathing a sigh of relief as he has now gone back to work. Unfortunately he will soon find something else to break up, every day off.

Woojama Wed 13-May-20 15:03:05

I don't think your neighbours deliberately wanted to annoy you, unless you are on unfavourable terms with them, when it could have been deliberate. I agree that people have to attend to these things when the weather permits and when they have time. I live in a rural area and Easter Monday is favourite for muck spreading! There follows silageing, hay making, corn gathering, a constant flow of tractors throughout the summer. You just have to take it in your stride and enjoy yourselves, regardless.

DDOR Fri 15-May-20 23:35:40

All I have to say Carmel God help if you had neighbors who were noisy,,drinking ,partying ,etc !I def would not like you as my neighbor ☹️ With all that is going on you you have little to complain about.

Moppet Sat 16-May-20 16:26:18

My neighbours have children that play musical instruments, we here them practising during the day and in an evening when we want to relax. Drives us mad, but for the sake of peace out up with it.

Hetty58 Sat 16-May-20 16:45:25

Moppet, somebody a dozen or so houses away, seems to be trying to learn to play a trumpet (perhaps) and it sounds like an elephant being strangled - never any improvement over the years!

What is special about a Bank Holiday atm caramel? Usually, it's a break from work, when people are free to meet up with friends and family. Now, it's just another day.

So many people on here keep on applying normal rules and traditions to an abnormal situation. It's quite striking. Are they completely stuck on their tracks, incapable of adjusting or applying any logic to life in an emergency response to a pandemic? Is it an elderly way of thinking?

endre123 Sun 17-May-20 13:51:42

I think we have to be a bit more tolerant of neighbour noise now. I imagine some will mow every other day to keep their sanity, there is no where else to go. There are some very smart shrubs around here too.
I would object if they put music on a loudspeaker and forced their taste on us or any fighting but that's not happening,
There are three small children in the street and it's lovely too hear them playing outside. They don't play together as two have a doctor father and are isolating for his sake, so they take turns to bring out their bikes.
My own grandchildren are very lucky to have wonderful neighbours.
One lot are passionate musicians and the piano and oboe and double bass are frequently played with doors open. They have had applause from next door.
My other grand children, four of them, have a large garden but they sometimes get invited to use the children's equipment next door, a bigger garden where they miss having their own grand children to play. The mums would find it intolerable if neighbours complained about noises. We are in a lockdown. Or shielding or isolating. No where else to go

endre123 Sun 17-May-20 13:54:16

To add, two of my neighbours have decided to do real building work in their gardens and drives. This place will be beautiful when we come out of all this.

Dibbydod Mon 18-May-20 10:45:11

My neighbours children , 4 young boys, just shout and scream at one another all day in the garden, making sitting out enjoying my garden unbearable, so, I just play my radio on loud every day to drown them out .

annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 14:34:14

^dogs barking !!
It’s what happens!! How do you keep children from steaming whilst playing and a dog from barking !!^

No one should have to listen to a neighbour's dog barking and howling for hours. I've just complained to my neighbour about this and he didn't look too pleased. Well I'm not pkeased with having the stress of how to say to him nicely. If people work during the day and can't be bothered to train their dogs and make sure they are content to be left alone then they shouldn't have one.