Gransnet forums

AIBU

Priority Slot Disappeared!

(57 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 21-May-20 01:08:09

Like so many we are socially isolating. DH is 76 with chronic lung condition and I’m 70. We have both had the covid19 virus which has left us both under par. I’ve had a Waitrose priority slot for 6/7 weeks which is a godsend as we don’t have any children to shop for us. Suddenly it’s disappeared! I can’t get any slots at all and I’ve tried so many times and at different times ie just after midnight etc etc. I’ve sent emails ( no response) completes another priority form but it takes 21 days for a reply, and tried to ring their customer services but queues so long the calls time out. Has this happened to anyone else? If so do you have any advice please.

lemsip Mon 25-May-20 15:18:46

if you manage to get a delivery slot you need to do your shop and checkout which confirms your slot. you can then carry on adding thing if you need until night before delivery day. If you don't checkout your slot disappears!

Cressida Mon 25-May-20 12:19:56

We have a regular slot booked with Asda on a Sunday morning. Unfortunately that meant we came unstuck over the Easter Bank Holiday and hadn't realised until the Saturday when I went to amend the order I thought I'd put in for Sunday.

I ordered a £35 Morrisons Meat Essentials box on the Saturday and it was delivered by DPD on the Tuesday. We had no idea what we would get in it so opening it was fun. We were very pleased with the contents.
Ours had:
1ltr Cravendale Semi-skimmed milk
6 cumberland sausages
2 chicken breast fillets
500gm beef mince
300gm unsalted back bacon
fresh tomato & basil sauce
250gm salted butter
4 slices cooked ham
350gm mature cheddar cheese
4 Andrex toilet rolls
Jumbo Kitchen Roll
white loaf
6 white pitta breads
500gm Fusilla Pasta
1 Condensed Tomato Soup
400gm tin Heinz Baked Beans
Lemon & Coriander Cous Cous
Potato & Leek Cup-a-soups
Uncle Bens Basmati Rice
1kg carrots
1kg baby potatoes
1kg onions
1 cucumber

I told one of my sons about it and he ordered one on the Tuesday which he received on the Friday. It didn't have exactly the same items but it was very similar and he has ordered again.

Keffie12 Sat 23-May-20 21:11:56

Morrisons do a special box of foods you can add extra into, online. They also I have found recently got delivery spaces on their online services

Teacheranne Sat 23-May-20 02:29:00

I think it various around the country. I am not in a vulnerable category but due to a physical disability ( I have a blue badge) I have had a fortnightly delivery for years - no more! I still cannot register with Waitrose or Sainsburys who are not taking on new customers, have not managed to get a delivery slot from Morrisons, Iceland or Tesco but have had a couple of click and collect orders with Tesco. I got these by waiting up until midnight when they release new slots three weeks ahead.

I have one next week from an HGV in the service yard of a supermarket 6 miles away and one the week after between 6and 8 am so am having to be flexible. In a few days time I will have to start looking for another slot for three weeks away - I find it very stressful and it's not getting any easier.

jerseygirl Fri 22-May-20 22:42:17

Try iceland and sainsburys, they have been great for us. Forget tesco, waste of time, no slots available at all.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-May-20 19:07:04

It’s worth trying your local shops too. Our butchers, green grocers, pet shop and bakery all delivery and the bakery is stocking milk for the duration too. Before the bakery got its act together the butcher popped into the Tesco Express for milk for us. Also many churches are organising volunteers to shop, collect prescription, etc.

We’ve been using the greengrocer and butcher as they have really good stuff and deliver the next day!

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 17:34:55

Saggi this is just not right. If you are on FB then message Tesco and insist that you need help. One of the people who answered asked some questions and then arranged for a priority slot for me. They seem to be releasing more now, as I was going to have to wait for 3 weeks but looked again and we now have changed it to tomorrow.

Someone advised me to look out for another slot as soon as I had paid for one order; I have just done that for a week's time and can amend the order up until the day before.

Keep trying, you shouldn't have to struggle like that. And your local Council will help, either with a good box or a list of volunteers.

Saggi Fri 22-May-20 17:20:39

I’m 70 and hubby 73 and he’s not been out of house for 15 months now and I suspect won’t ever again go out. So it’s down to me.... never had a priority slot even though I have had home delivery for three years. I’m not vulnerable...although I don’t drive (and am getting over two broken shoulders) so I have to carry all shopping. I can’t do much so have to go to shops 3/4 times a week. Hope I get a refund on my pre-paid jyearlt deluvery!!

Willjac123 Fri 22-May-20 16:45:12

I'm on government shielding list. Re supermarket deliveries, South East Kent:

Ocado - useless, despite being a regular online customer prior to
Iceland - tries hard, offers delivery slots, but always out of stock for loads of basics
Asda - good , though often out of stock. Unfortunately, website keeps crashing
Tesco - excellent , easy to obtain priority slots, near all items in stock

maddyone Fri 22-May-20 16:35:32

If you can’t get a delivery you might be able to get a Click and Collect. Not as good as delivery, but minimum exposure to other people when you pick up, and you don’t need to go into the shop.

Minerva Fri 22-May-20 16:20:28

I am so glad the poster has the result she needed. I am now on the Government list but wasn’t for 6 weeks and had my daughter not persisted in finding us the odd Tesco slot she would have been forced to go shopping and put me at risk. When it became difficult to get a slot at all she rang Tesco and they were wonderful and put me on their vulnerable list.. I was not a Tesco fan but now sing their praises.
Since I have been on the government list I have repeatedly tried to get a Sainsbury delivery as I am more familiar with their products having shopped at Sainsbury’s all my adult life but they are still as unhelpful as they have been all along.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 15:42:36

More slots have appeared on the Tesco site.

Joelise Fri 22-May-20 15:37:09

I have to say that Tesco deliveries have been the best , Waitrose are hopeless! If anyone has a problem getting a home delivery, there was an article in the on line Surrey Live newspaper, where the reporter put a Morrisons delivery To the test , through Amazon . Google “ Morrisons delivery Amazon “ ,apparently it takes you to Amazon fresh section , then you see a Morrisons filter tag , and you go from there, and make your selection . Hope that this helps someone.

Atqui Fri 22-May-20 15:21:28

I had an email from Waitrose at start of all this saying they would be checking data from JL store cards etc in order to offer slots to elderly. I emailed them to say none were available and only had a generic reply to say they were very busy!My daughter aged 40: was offered 3 slots as she is a “good customer” . Sainsbury’s have been amazing ,mand Inhave lost faith in Waitrose. I too order a couple of bottles of spirits to keep,the slot til later, if I’m in a hurry, as one can always delete them

lemsip Fri 22-May-20 14:21:19

i've always got a slot with Iceland, they sell all the usual groceries not just frozen!

Tallyann1 Fri 22-May-20 14:20:07

Morrisons slot are good atm and we classed as vulnerable.. I’ve chosen early June but could have got one for this weekend

Jaycee5 Fri 22-May-20 14:12:20

GinJeannie Its still worth trying as many sites as possible. I'm not in the vulnerable group but I can't carry much and would have to get a bus and so I get a delivery and apart from the beginning when it felt like a full time job, I have been able to get slots, sometimes when I was on the verge of giving up. I've given up on Morrisons and Waitrose but it obviously depends where you are.

H1954 Fri 22-May-20 12:31:33

I suggest you contact your County Council Adult Social Care, it might sound extreme measures but you certainly need some support to get your groceries etc and they might be able to help. Good luck and stay safe!

GinJeannie Fri 22-May-20 11:53:02

Just had a call back from gp receptionist, saying that GP does not think we qualify for the Vulnerable letter to get priority slots with online shopping. DH had a major stroke 8 years ago, losing use of left side, wears a CPAP machine and is 75. I also have an autoimmune disease, but looks like I am going to have to continue with my trolley dash when needs must. Not happy.

Juicylucy Fri 22-May-20 11:29:06

Well done nfk dumpling.

Bijou Fri 22-May-20 11:20:04

I manage to get regular deliveries from Sainsbury. Have used them for the past three years since being housebound. A friend managed to get Iceland.

chrissie13 Fri 22-May-20 10:47:41

It may be worth you trying this website

shoppingslot.co.uk/

You put in your postcode and it tells you any available slots at Tesco, Asda, Iceland or Waitrose. It's free for this, but you can pay and they will then email you when a slot becomes available.

pce612 Fri 22-May-20 10:46:01

Put a post on social media (Facebook etc) if you can, public negative feedback seems to get a response when nothing else works.
I hope you get your shopping slot back soon.
Take care.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 10:38:32

The shielding letter cuts no ice whatsoever with Waitrose.

I'm not sure Chardy. The medical conditions on the letter are quite specific; the letter came from the country's own Chief Medical Officer and it may be that they obtained the information from hospital records or from hospital consultants.
One person I know has had a further one extending the date until mid-July.

Chardy Fri 22-May-20 10:33:37

Sadly the shielding letters are very hit and miss. Postcode lottery? Surgery lottery? Individual doctor lottery? No idea, but it's not very systematically organised.