Gransnet forums

AIBU

She keeps texting me propaganda filled with fake news!

(79 Posts)
willa45 Sat 13-Jun-20 23:34:40

Please bear with me (long post)
My husband has a close male cousin who lives with his wife in a different country. We live in the US. They retired, but they do visit their married daughter (she lives here), at least twice a year.

Lately, the wife has taken to texting me on average, four or five messages/videos/links per day, with conspiracy theories and all out fake news. She also adds her own comments about the stuff she sends.

Politically, there's a lot going on these days, but even though I'm well informed and I fact check everything, I don't usually discuss my politics on social media I detest political squabbles and I definitely don't like it when someone tries to 'bait' me with bogus propaganda.

I also can't block or 'defriend' her because we have too many people in common on social media. No one has hacked her account either. She posts the same kind of stuff on Facebook and I've seen firsthand, the hostility that goes back and forth when she tries to inflict her garbage on others.

So here's my dilemma. I would like her to stop sending me these texts with her ridiculous theories. It's annoying and I'm beginning to resent them AND her.

Since she's related to my husband's family I can't get rid of her that easily....I have to see her from time to time and her daughter lives in the same town as our daughter. How can I get her to cease and desist, without creating a bigger problem?

Ok, now I'm done venting....(deep breath)

Carooline Sun 14-Jun-20 10:08:53

You can actually select not to see her posts on fb but still remain friends, she wouldn't even know x

mumstheword86 Sun 14-Jun-20 10:09:30

Sad Everyone’s brains are full of information these days and having to decide true or false comment or not but my position is not to comment on religion and politics only way forward and I tell anyone who asks me what do you think about this happening Good luck with helping your friend see your perspective!!

Scottiebear Sun 14-Jun-20 10:13:23

On fb you can snooze someone for a period of time. I have someone on fb who is also constantly posting conspiracy theories. Several at a time. But, like you, I didnt want to unfriend her. So I snoozed her. Dont know how you can deal with it if she is phone texting you, other than just deleting them as they come.

jenpax Sun 14-Jun-20 10:15:35

There is an option on Facebook to unfollow a person but still remain “friends” if you do that you won’t get the annoying posts but she won’t know.
Maybe just delete any texts she sends unread.

GrandmaMoira Sun 14-Jun-20 10:16:09

I sympathise. I have a close friend who I speak to on the phone several times a week. Since lockdown she has been talking a lot about the conspiracy theories she believes. I find it nonsense and it's very hard to explain that I don't agree when she is telling me more and more about it. It seems she thinks I am naive for not believing.

Tanjamaltija Sun 14-Jun-20 10:17:18

Do not engage with her by text. On Facebook, mute her for 30 days, and then another 30. "Did you receive that?" "Yes" "Why didn't you comment?" "Not interested".

crazygranny Sun 14-Jun-20 10:20:32

Why don't you just explain that you're feeling overwhelmed with everything and that you find it hard to cope with any more input. Ask her to stop as a kindness and I'm sure she'll respond positively.

Chardy Sun 14-Jun-20 10:21:48

Can you thank her but say as you're cutting back on social media because it's all so depressing, could she not include you on her video-share list please?

lemsip Sun 14-Jun-20 10:37:03

stop replying or responding in any way

4allweknow Sun 14-Jun-20 10:54:54

I have a friend who does almost the same but on FB. I would just delete the texts or send her a text saying you are so fed up with all the political war mongering and false news that seems to be going on that you would appreciate if she excluded you from sharing any such news. Obviously happy to have family etc news. For FB just delete and confirm you don't want to receive messages from wherever she is forwarding from eg AQZ news channel. It's so annoying.

sandelf Sun 14-Jun-20 10:57:27

Honestly, as this lady is the wife of your husband's cousin - I'd block or de-friend. If communication is needed she can go through him. Her connection to you is too distant to keep up unless you enjoy each other - and you don't.

Lizj Sun 14-Jun-20 11:03:10

I have exactly the same problem ! A friend keeps sending me this kind of stuff. Today’s effort is -apparently- the Coronavirus is all made up. It’s a plot to get rid of the old and the vulnerable. She’s asking me to join some group against Bill Gates vaccination!!! I don’t even know what she’s talking about. I hide all her posts on fb but somehow this one slipped through.

Nicea Sun 14-Jun-20 11:04:31

I had two ‘friends’ on Facebook who constantly posted what they were having for breakfast/lunch/dinner so I just muted them without unfriending them or saying anything. Another not very close friend bombarded me and others daily on WhatsApp and email with topics she found interesting - badly scanned newspaper articles I couldn’t even read, cute pet videos, fake news - so I blocked her on WhatsApp and just ignore her emails. Not responding does seem to have had some effect. I’d much prefer it if she just sent me a little personal news occasionally, not a nonsense round-robin item sent to 15 people, but I don’t know that I can change her so non-engagement seems best! Some people shouldn’t be let loose on social media because they don’t know how to respect boundaries. It’s sad really.

Paperbackwriter Sun 14-Jun-20 11:09:28

She probably sends them as a block to everyone. Really irritating but on Twitter you can Mute people and on Facebook you can un-follow. I have a niece who does the same - she's up to here in conspiracy garbage. I did once say that I really didn't think I'd get my scientific beliefs from an ex Leicester City footballer who thinks we're basically lizards but preferred people with relevant qualifications. She still posts stuff but I don't read them.

Xxjanexx Sun 14-Jun-20 11:14:41

Just don’t answer...the more you do the more she keep sending them.

Moggycuddler Sun 14-Jun-20 11:15:45

Ignore them. I have a friend who went through a phase of emailing me petitions to sign every day - sometimes 15 or 20 in a day. (She has little else to do but find and sign petitions every day in their dozens.) At first I used to sign a few to please her and comment on them sometimes to her. But when it got ridiculous I just ignored them and gradually she stopped sending them.

Shazmo24 Sun 14-Jun-20 11:17:43

If this is on FB its very easy not to see her stuff...just hit the 'unfollow' button and edit your settings...go onto her profile & where it says friends comes up a list...one of which is restricted...that means you won't see her posts and she cant see yours but you are still friends Simples

Tamayra Sun 14-Jun-20 11:19:11

Might be good to listen to David Icke rather than delete him
I’ve followed him for years
So much he’s said has come about He has great interviews on London Real It’s not, in my view, conspiracy it’s very real
Just takes a brave person like him to face the truth of what’s really happening in our world

lemsip Sun 14-Jun-20 11:22:52

oh david icke ha ha ha.
trouble is everyone's truth is different!!

Theoddbird Sun 14-Jun-20 11:27:36

Just tell her to stop...simple really. If she can't respect your wishes then do block her but tell her you have to do this as she refuses to comply with your wishes. It will be her choice then not yours.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 14-Jun-20 11:28:47

I felt' exhausted' just thinking about this relative of yours and the effect she has on you. I go along with responding to what you feel worth responding to. She will eventually, give it time, get the message she doesn't have you in her audience when it comes to fake messages / conspiracies and 'button up'.

Nannan2 Sun 14-Jun-20 11:29:07

Yes, like Bluebelle said..just tell her your're not going to read anything political etc in future so please dont send them, but you'll be happy to hear about family & friends...maybe no one else will listen to her on those scores either so she's just letting off steam& ranting, same as you've just done, and feels like you're the only one who will listen, and she can 'safely' share all that stuff with you?she must see you as a friend too maybe, not just her husbands cousins wife? Just be kind but firm and honest with her, tell her you're happy to hear from her, but only family stuff or a chat as a friend, but you don't want to hear the other more political stuff as your're not interested in it.And that anyway theres enough of that in the papers so you have had enough!

PennyWhistle Sun 14-Jun-20 11:33:09

You could always reply with a link to show her unwanted messages are fake news. That generally shuts up people who enjoy focussing on the negatives in life.

Nannan2 Sun 14-Jun-20 11:37:16

My 17yr old used to come to me every day at the start of the covid19 outbreak, and give me all the 'news' about what was happening, so much so he'd come do it when i was on phone to his older siblings too, so we in our family dubbed him the propaganda merchant & i started watching the BBC cororonavirus update, so when he came spouting the news of it i used to tell him they'd just said different on there, so eventually he's stopped doing it..i think it was his way of making sure i got all the info to stay safe maybehmm

Nannan2 Sun 14-Jun-20 11:42:36

But if OP blocks certain messages she wont get the family news stuff either will she?hmm best to just be honest with her.