Gransnet forums

AIBU

Expectations from relations

(82 Posts)
lincolnimp Sat 25-Jul-20 12:40:51

I will try to be brief
I came from a small family. 2 siblings, nether of whom have children so tend to have more in common, and still live reasonably close to each other. We are 200 miles away so only see them occasionally.
We have 3 children, with 5 Grandchildren between them. Due to my DH's work, while our children were growing up he was away from home all week, at home for most weekends.
Consequently the children and I became used to being fairly self sufficient. Since they have left home/married we have a good relationship with them, but equally we do not live in each others pockets, though the oldest 3 grandchildren have had us very involved. in their lives since they were born as they live nearby
We have also been Foster Carers for 34 years , yes, even when DH was working away from home, and this has obviously been a huge part of our and our children/grandchildren's lives.
So, a close but not claustrophobic family.

DH and I are now retiring from Fostering, though still have our 110th and last little one with us.
Because we do not need our 5 bedroom Victorian terrace house anymore we are selling and moving.
Our daughter with the youngest grandchildren are now, by chance, living in a town very near to where I grew up, and we have been able to afford the perfect house for us very close to them. Even my usually reserved sil has said how much he is looking forward to us being near, as they have never had any family living near them throughout their married life.
All good, we are all really looking forward to the move.

BUT, one of my 3 cousins lives in the same town. We keep in touch with all three, but this one reduced the contact to the obligatory Christmas card many years ago. He and his wife have lived in the same house for over 40 years---important point.
Their one son lives with his male partner over 100 miles away, and his relationship is not acknowledged by his parents.
Cousins wife has apparently caused a huge rift with my other 2 cousins, her husbands brothers, and is also is a lady who has a list of ailments as long as her arm and says that her husband is essentially her carer
Now she has discovered that we are moving to the same town, and on facebook is demanding that we make contact, and befriend them 'in their twilight years' as they are 'family'
She became rather passive aggressive when I tried to tell her that we lead our own lives, still have our FC with us---until she moves to her adopters, are used to being our own family unit, don't see my siblings very often because that is just the lives we lead. She is also offended that our daughter has not made contact, but that is purely because our daughter is busy with her 2 young children, being a Methodist Ministers wife and working---and has never met either of them

DH and I are really looking forward to spending more time with our youngest grandchildren, and with each other, especially when we do actually say goodbye to being Foster Carers.

AIBU that I do not want to be drawn into this woman's life, which I feel would be the thin edge of the wedge
One more point, I am allergic to cats and dogs, and they have both in their home.
I will suggest meeting in town, once we are settled and our Little One has left us

Sorry for the very long post.

Juicylucy Sun 26-Jul-20 10:42:19

Great advise given. I think she’s seeing you as a would be carer, I’d stand your ground, you seem very strong anyway. You don’t want any guilt trips put on you either. Enjoy this time for your immediate family.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 26-Jul-20 10:42:36

Firstly I want to say 110 foster children wow! That’s some children over the years, you are truly wonderful , good luck with your move, you deserve all the happiness in the world, and as for this demanding woman no way Jose, I’d wouldn’t give her a second thought, block her, you deserve to live your life by your book

Cossy Sun 26-Jul-20 10:44:04

This sounds awful, but they’ve not really bothered staying close to you and you likewise, you sound like you’ve had a very busy, demanding life and frankly I would advise you to keep contact as little or much as you choose, enjoy your retirement and not worry too much about them ! Good luck

grannygranby Sun 26-Jul-20 10:44:20

Put like that of course you are not being unreasonable. However there are ways to not hurt and reject people. You have managed to control your emotions throughout your life it seems I’m sure to everyone’s advantage. Just carry on smile and be polite.

Soozikinzi Sun 26-Jul-20 10:46:19

I agree with you and all
the others and see that she isn’t actually related to you herself. As others have said she is looking for back up carers . Smile politely if you bump into her . You can’t go round anyway because of your animal allergy . Some people are Refreshing showers some are drains . She sounds like a drain .

Granartisan Sun 26-Jul-20 10:47:09

I understand your wish to keep your distance, but that doesn't mean you need to be unkind. A message on Facebook can remain just that, blocking is rather an unchristian step, but failing to reply because your life is too busy is understandable. I would do as you suggest and meet in town occasionally, and ignore any demands she makes. You sound a strong enough person to be able to stick to your guns! Well done with your fostering, you are evidently a very caring family.

Kim19 Sun 26-Jul-20 10:47:25

Hello Cousin, Just moved house. Much too busy sorting the place out for a meeting of any sort. Will be in touch when that eventuality takes place. Please, don't hold your breath.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 26-Jul-20 10:50:37

If she wants to have more to do with your DD, maybe she should try attending their church? She would probably meet similarly like minded people and have less time for you?

Just a thought!

crazygranny Sun 26-Jul-20 11:03:53

What a lovely person you are. Bringing up your own children and fostering as well!
You may be related but you have no relationship with this person. Don't let her muscle in on your plans and your thoroughly selfless attitude to what relationships actually mean. If she managed for all those years with only obligatory cards she can manage now. These are your twilight years too so spend them with those you love.
Love and huge respect to you!

paddyanne Sun 26-Jul-20 11:09:52

I only have 2 cousins in the same country and they are both much older,they have children my age.I used to take my Mum to visit years ago bit when mum died I stopped going ,I send cards and flowers for birthdays but thats all.I dont have anything in common with them so dont see any need to see them or call them.Maybe thats the route to take with the cousin you have who wants "contact" ,keep her at a distance ,she's not involved in your life and you'd prefer she wasn't .Your choice how to deal with her .Just tell her you have a busy life and no time to spend with her for at least the forseeable future.Good luck with your move ,enjoy being near your family .

Tanjamaltija Sun 26-Jul-20 11:16:24

So - unless you do what she wants, she will be "offended". So, should you not be offended, yourself, when she does not do what you want - i.e., leave you alone? This is the gist of the message you must get across to her. She has manged without you all these years - your moving house must make no difference.

Torbroud Sun 26-Jul-20 11:23:47

Attention seeking user, change all contact details

spabbygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 11:25:55

congrats on your wonderful fostering career! I was a foster carer & social worker for years. I would meet for coffee twice a year or so and then be too busy. She'll soon get the message, even if she grumbles about you to others they'll know why. I'm sure you're good at keeping boundaries, you'll have done many in your job, you're not being rude but you're rightly protecting yourself & family from difficult people.

LilyMcD Sun 26-Jul-20 11:26:48

She sounds desperate and lonely , and your kind heart may feel guilty for not “taking her on”. My thought: Don’t make any decisions about her until after you’ve moved, settled , and FC is placed. You sound like a natural caregiver , but you may not be up at that point to take on an “adult child “ IYKWIM - set your new boundaries For what is wise for you at that point ,and stick to them .

Gigi200764 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:26:52

Please can anyone advise me or does anyone have experience of neighbours in a terrace house starting excavation works within 3 meters of there home staring works with out part wall agreement my neighbor has started this process due to her current extension done 12 years ago
She cane to sell her house 18 months ago couldn’t sell it due to her then builder not having signed the works off with local buildings control as she refuses to pay him all the money she owed him.
She tries to seek her house last year was unable to as the purchasers surveyor would not allow due to works not being signed off.
She has started 6 weeks ago having people hand did the internal house out of foundations no skip for the rubbish as obviously it’s being done underhanded i would imagine.
I came home 2 days ago to a huge industrial cement mixer mixing sand cement etc
I contacted her immediately and said we need to
Have a party wall agreement she said in a few days . I felt very nervous then sent a text message again asking her the same thing she replied in a few days nothing has been forthcoming. I there fore contacted my legal policy on house insurance and was told i need to write to her asking her to stop works until an agreement via in place i sent this recorded delivery for proof .
In the meantime i am worried about what to do as i h e to take out a court injunction paid for by myself up to £15000.00 which i don’t have & am feeling distraught as what to do.
Please has anyone else had a situation like this they could perhaps give me some Reccomended ady why to do
Thank you

Nannarose Sun 26-Jul-20 11:51:52

Gigi - I think you have made a mistake as you have added this to an existing thread on a different topic. You can ask Gransnet moderators to move the message to a new thread, where I hope you can get some advice. My own immediate thought is that you need legal advice - from CAB (look on line) or lookat tings like insurance policies or trades union membership to see if they give you some legal cover.

red1 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:52:44

stick to your guns, and don't deviate.Give some people an inch........ After a lifetime of tending to others needs and often being trampled on, ive decided only this week at the age of 64, i retire! hope you can too.

Craftycat Sun 26-Jul-20 12:03:39

Keep her at arm's length. I would certainly be far too busy for the first few months & then maybe a cup of coffee in town where you tell her all your plans for the hectic social life you know have discovered since your move.
Maybe suggest she looks around for a club of some sort to join- not your!!!
You deserve some 'me'time now!

Thecatshatontgemat Sun 26-Jul-20 12:04:19

Ignore, ignore and just say no.
Agree with other posters : once you open up dialogue, it's the thin end of the wedge/slithering-time. .
Don't meet, correspond, and definately don't tell her your address. If cornered, just bluntly tell her you are neither interested or have the time.
You deserve to enjoy your life after your splendid fostering without having to look over your shoulder every five minutes.
Alarm bells are ringing loud and clear here : please don't ignore them.

Nannarose Sun 26-Jul-20 12:06:35

lincolnimp - is that where you are from or where you've lived whilst bringing up your family? No need to answer - but it is a lovely city.

I think you may find it easier and kinder to meet occasionally than to cut her off. When arranging to meet (good idea to meet in town) you can put off a week or two as you 'find a space'. If you meet a second time, you can ring up and cancel because of an appointment or GCs' need, and arrange again for another few weeks' hence.
If asked to do something, you can certainly find it inconvenient for some reason.

You can be a bit 'dozy' with FB. I have 'unfollowed' people who I don' want to 'unfriend', but it means I don't see all their ramblings. I have then been known to say 'oh, I didn't see your message / post /whatever, sorry, I don't always get on with FB'.

You may not like to do this, as you are obviously a lovely person, but you could talk a lot about your own aches and pains and worries about managing (all exaggerated).

Are you in touch with your nephew? I had to make clear to my (usually lovely) mother that my relationships with other family members were not really her business. That helps you to say that your daughter's life is not your concern, that you are happy to help her, but who she sees and what she does is not your business.

I do wish you luck. you deserve a lovely retirement and I hope it works out well.

GoldenAge Sun 26-Jul-20 12:08:28

Lincolnimp you are not being unreasonable and more to the point you sound from your story as though you are actually a very reasonable person - I think there’s only one way to deal with this relative and that is to be honest even at the risk of causing a rift - and as she doesn’t acknowledge her son and his partner it’s likely that a rift will occur but this won’t have any impact on you. I would tell her that you are moving because of transitions in your own life which is pretty much full and mapped out and that you don’t have room in it to befriend anybody but you will happily do the meet up on neutral territory once in a while. If she doesn’t like or accept that block her on Facebook so you’re not on the end of her entreaties - and the other thing is to stoppages in her tracks if you hear her criticise your daughter - it’s bad enough that she feels she can disapprove of her own son but personally if an awkward family member we’re to moan to me about my daughter not being sufficiently sociable I’d give that person a piece of my mind - your relative seems to have a tendency to negative thinking - reject it.

BBbevan Sun 26-Jul-20 12:25:09

The fact that you call her “‘This woman”, speak volumes. Have contact if you wish but only on your terms.

GagaJo Sun 26-Jul-20 12:32:04

I am the mistress of passive aggressive avoidance. It's a very good technique for not getting involved with people I don't like.

If you put posts on Facebook, there is a facility where you can stop individual people from seeing your posts. Make sure you include her, so she can't follow your life and find out when your move has gone ahead.

DON'T read her Facebook messages to you. She can see when they've been read and will leap to respond.

As you said, they are Christmas card contacts only. You have nothing to feel guilty about. BUT if you begin being in contact, you will be lined up as fetchers and carriers and alternative carers.

If you had already known and had a relationship with then, I would think it was a little more acceptable that they insist on more contact. But as you haven't, you have NO responsibility to begin a relationship which you already know will end in you working for them.

Obviously, you shouldn't give them your new address, so the Christmas card contact from them will stop. You could, to show goodwill, continue posting a card to them, with no sender address on it of course!

jaylucy Sun 26-Jul-20 12:53:09

You have had none or little contact with either her or her husband for years and all of a sudden, she wants to be your friend?
I'd just send her a PM and politely say that due to the fact that you have managed to cope without each other for the last Nth number of years and would prefer it to continue! You really owe her and her husband nothing, even if he is related to you!
Then block her on Facebook.
Sorry, I really can't be bothered with people like her - you know that before long, you would be sucked into her dramas.

lincolnimp Sun 26-Jul-20 13:10:52

Granartisan I blocked her some time ago as I really didnt want to see her posts, some of which were frankly racist
She can still contact by messenger, which is what she is doing