Gransnet forums

AIBU

Expectations from relations

(82 Posts)
lincolnimp Sat 25-Jul-20 12:40:51

I will try to be brief
I came from a small family. 2 siblings, nether of whom have children so tend to have more in common, and still live reasonably close to each other. We are 200 miles away so only see them occasionally.
We have 3 children, with 5 Grandchildren between them. Due to my DH's work, while our children were growing up he was away from home all week, at home for most weekends.
Consequently the children and I became used to being fairly self sufficient. Since they have left home/married we have a good relationship with them, but equally we do not live in each others pockets, though the oldest 3 grandchildren have had us very involved. in their lives since they were born as they live nearby
We have also been Foster Carers for 34 years , yes, even when DH was working away from home, and this has obviously been a huge part of our and our children/grandchildren's lives.
So, a close but not claustrophobic family.

DH and I are now retiring from Fostering, though still have our 110th and last little one with us.
Because we do not need our 5 bedroom Victorian terrace house anymore we are selling and moving.
Our daughter with the youngest grandchildren are now, by chance, living in a town very near to where I grew up, and we have been able to afford the perfect house for us very close to them. Even my usually reserved sil has said how much he is looking forward to us being near, as they have never had any family living near them throughout their married life.
All good, we are all really looking forward to the move.

BUT, one of my 3 cousins lives in the same town. We keep in touch with all three, but this one reduced the contact to the obligatory Christmas card many years ago. He and his wife have lived in the same house for over 40 years---important point.
Their one son lives with his male partner over 100 miles away, and his relationship is not acknowledged by his parents.
Cousins wife has apparently caused a huge rift with my other 2 cousins, her husbands brothers, and is also is a lady who has a list of ailments as long as her arm and says that her husband is essentially her carer
Now she has discovered that we are moving to the same town, and on facebook is demanding that we make contact, and befriend them 'in their twilight years' as they are 'family'
She became rather passive aggressive when I tried to tell her that we lead our own lives, still have our FC with us---until she moves to her adopters, are used to being our own family unit, don't see my siblings very often because that is just the lives we lead. She is also offended that our daughter has not made contact, but that is purely because our daughter is busy with her 2 young children, being a Methodist Ministers wife and working---and has never met either of them

DH and I are really looking forward to spending more time with our youngest grandchildren, and with each other, especially when we do actually say goodbye to being Foster Carers.

AIBU that I do not want to be drawn into this woman's life, which I feel would be the thin edge of the wedge
One more point, I am allergic to cats and dogs, and they have both in their home.
I will suggest meeting in town, once we are settled and our Little One has left us

Sorry for the very long post.

Candy6 Sun 26-Jul-20 23:11:10

You don’t need to make contact and be in her life. You have obviously worked hard and done a lot of good things along the way and now you both deserve a happy retirement. You could meet up occasionally but ensure it’s onlt that. You have your own lives with your lovely family and shouldn’t let anyone encroach on that. Xx

Mistyfluff8 Mon 27-Jul-20 06:28:43

I wouldn’t meet up with her in town you both need to enjoy your lovely family and grandchildren .Spend your time caring for you family and not this needy person who hasn’t bothered with you over the years Enjoy good health unfortunately some people moan about every single ailment and there is lots they can do to help themselves I wish you very good luck

Grannyflower Mon 27-Jul-20 07:22:02

Hi fellow yellowbelly??. I live round the corner, when are you free for coffee. Only joking of course. Lots of great advice on here already but ... can I suggest you put your big girl pants on and say how you choose to live your life. You don’t have to be rude, just firm. Straight talking. Thank you but no thank you. Some people need it and some people prefer it. Apologies if this offends anyone but blocking people could be hurtful too.

BelindaB Mon 27-Jul-20 12:05:09

One of the things I love about "old age" is my ability to no longer give a toss what other people think - and that includes family.

Life is too short, we don't have enough of it left and we no longer own anyone anything.

She sounds like a bloodsucker who thinks she has an unused victim in her sights. Personally, I wouldn't even meet her for coffee.

I have dropped all my non-immediate family now that my Aged Aunt has died. I would much rather spend what time I have left with those I love and not those to whom I feel an obligation!

By the way, I've just turned 74 so I do mean old age.

bluebird243 Mon 27-Jul-20 12:28:15

I would not meet up with this person. As soon as you do then things will get complicated and it will be harder to deal with the whole situation. In a way it's kinder to set the boundaries now, then she knows where she stands and has no expectations...the same for you.

Keep things simple, as they are now. Just no contact, no obligations, no guilt trips, you have your own life and family to care for. Enjoy your new home and new life, you have richly deserved it.

Any homophobia or racist remarks would mean a complete break for me. How you do it I am not sure. She cannot 'demand' contact whether in her 'twilight years' or not. Don't be bullied.

I would not reply, personally, I'd just leave it. I'd just send birthday and Christmas cards to be polite and carry on as before. But that's me. I'm not bothered how anyone sees me any more but just treat others how they treat me.

My half sister rallied the troops around her when her marriage broke up and I became very friendly with me, I saw her a lot. Along comes husband No.2 and I haven't seen her since! Awful behaviour. I still send her birthday and Christmas cards.

kwest Mon 27-Jul-20 16:17:41

Recognize the 'Red Flag'. As a Fostermum you will be familiar with this phrase. This person will only bring you stress and trouble. I suggest making no further contact with her, including ignoring any overtures from her. Protect your own kind heart from abuse.
Well done with all your work with both foster children and birth family.