Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parents/Grandparents Held Hostage

(112 Posts)
ValerieF Fri 04-Sep-20 16:13:12

I see on this site, grandparents who love their grandchildren/children unconditionally and those who don't get to see their grandchildren, are estranged from their children...all of which hurt.

What about those who see TOO MUCH of their grandchildren; are expected to be there at their children's whim to look after grandchildren? Quite apart from what they envisaged retirement to be? The emotional threats?

How may actually resent being held hostage like this? How many people would love to just decide what they want without having to consider their families, once they are retired? Do they do it anyway? or do they feel guilty?

Not actually speaking from experience but know lots of elderly people who can't make arrangements because they have to see what their children/grandchildren are doing.

My thoughts are...you have done your lot! Now is YOUR time. Do what you want and help when you can but don't feel obliged. If your kids don't like it...then tough!

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 10:38:56

A bit of prying going on here methinks ?

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Sep-20 10:50:07

I share your instincts EllanVannin as OP does not appear to be a GP.

Theoddbird Sat 05-Sep-20 10:53:16

I agree with a lot of the original poster has said. I sometimes get the impression that today's parents have no idea how to cope. I managed without family quite well when my children were young. My children cope quite well as well....they learnt from how they were brought up

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 05-Sep-20 11:00:40

My DDs always ask before presuming I'll look after them, generally a thursday for GD and any day it could be. Never too often but always welcome.

Rumpunch Sat 05-Sep-20 11:12:40

When I had my daughter both my parents had only just retired. My Mum made it very clear that she would help with childcare but not on a regular basis. i.e not every Tues and Thursday morning as they would be planning their own things. My Mum said I've done my bit bringing up the two of you - I'm not tying myself down again. Fair enough. She would always help if sh could but I could not assume she would. Worked well for us.

Aepgirl Sat 05-Sep-20 11:15:36

No amount of time is too much to see grandchildren - they are a blessing and a joy.

Lucca Sat 05-Sep-20 11:15:50

Has Valerie returned to join in the thread ???

Bathsheba Sat 05-Sep-20 11:18:23

vickymeldrew

Correct me if I’m wrong Valerie, but this topic has a whiff of being fake. Are you a journalist looking for Gransnet views to generate debate ?

Unlikely I think, as ValerieF is not a new poster.

crimpedhalo Sat 05-Sep-20 11:26:37

I think the OP sounds frustrated. She may have been left dangling regarding arrangements with her friends who are often required at a moments notice to drop everything to look after GC.

Natasha76 Sat 05-Sep-20 11:30:34

It depends.......
I had 4 children and I have 9 grandchildren (9yrs old to 8mths plus another on the way). I also have 3 of 4 parents alive. All the mothers work.
I am emergency carer for Grandchildren and will step in if normal arrangements go wrong for some reason.
I do however see the harassed look on some grandparents faces when they are collecting from school or taking a grandchild to the park when the weather isn't that good. So it clearly isn't all fun and we shouldn't pretend it is. Its life, which means there are good days and bad days with grandchildren after all- sometimes they are ill.
More importantly there is a reason we all have children when we are younger and nature knows best. It doesn't mean you love your grandchildren any less if you don't care for them regularly or anymore if you do.

Sadgrandma Sat 05-Sep-20 11:31:49

Before our daughter returned to work my husband and I offered to look after our granddaughter for two days a week, there was no pressure for us to do so. It has been the most rewarding experience as we’ve really got to know our granddaughter and she really loves coming to us. However there is never a problem if we want a day off or to go on holiday. I think the most important thing grandparents can do is to have that conversation right at the beginning and state what they are prepared to do and stick to it, apart from the odd emergency that is.

Starblaze Sat 05-Sep-20 11:41:44

I never expected any support or childcare, I asked for it on occasion (less than once a year) and was always denied. I'm estranged now, many other reasons than that, maybe that's not a big surprise lol

This all must be a really difficult thing to get right between parents and grandparents... Children who grow up in normal homes grow up knowing they can rely on their parents and that's a good thing but I expect it can become taking advantage later.

Is it deliberate? That's the question right? Is it deliberate taking advantage?

I would have thought that in normal healthy relationships that the word "no" should be allowed.

I think it would be a shame if it was a blanket "no" because I knkw how that feels but that's again personal choice and I don't think any grandparent is obligated to provide any kind of childcare or babysitting or support.

I do wonder if that's a good relationship though.

I have no idea what the perfect balance is

Summerfly Sat 05-Sep-20 11:51:24

I, like most GP’s on here adore my GC and we have a wonderful bond. I’ve done my share of helping out and have always been happy to do so but, just sometimes we have to say no. My AD has never made me feel that it’s my duty to look after her little one’s either, but time spent with GC has brought immense joy to my life.
I have a friend who doesn’t have any children and she can’t understand why I would want to give up my time for them! She just doesn’t understand the love a mother has for her children. How can she?

cathyd Sat 05-Sep-20 11:52:57

before my first grandchild was born I offered to care for her on my nights off to prevent the necessity for a nursery which would have been nearly all my dd's wages. I continued when second gc born and all through primary school. I worked two nights a week so my dd arranged her work to suit me. I went to all the school events and learned quite a lot in the process about various subjects. It was only a few years later when discussing something about gd's school that I realised how much my daughter was saddened about the things she had missed. Last year of primary for gs my dd went to Burns supper at school and the look on her face said it all, she had a great time, sil went to prizegiving fo gs where gs made his leaving speech thanking teachers etc for all they had done and for gran and granda for cooking his dinner every night. Sil loved it. I missed both these events but have no regrets (well maybe a little about the speech) but both parents experienced something they will never forget. Some of us forget how much the parents miss through no fault of their own, they are trying to build a happy home for their children

quizqueen Sat 05-Sep-20 11:56:45

I see my grandchildren twice a week usually, once doing the school run; that's enough for me as the school is 15 miles away. Then I stay for tea/story/bedtime. I help out a bit more during school holidays but, if I had something to attend, I just say they will have to sort something else out and that's the way it is. I've cancelled things in the past for them but now I put myself first and they just have to put up with me not being available.

Unigran4 Sat 05-Sep-20 11:59:05

I have 4 GC, now ranging 15 to 21 years old. When the first one was born in 1999 I was asked if I would help with childcare, in conjunction with the other GPS whilst my DD returned to work for a year after her maternity leave had finished.

I was shift working so I could accommodate. Initially I didn't like being tied but then I put things into perspective for myself. Here I was with a daughter old enough to have a baby (she was 25) but where had that time gone since she was a baby. It would be the same for the GC - the time would fly and one day they would be independent and leading their own lives, and no longer calling on my time.

None of this is forever. The time will pass.

Sarahmob Sat 05-Sep-20 12:03:28

I look after my GS for two days a week, travelling 80 miles each way up and down the motorway. I offered that childcare because I wanted to build a relationship with him that occasional family visits may not have offered. It is exhausting but I love it. It wasn’t expected and if my DD and S-I-L take the opportunity to have a night out whilst I’m staying over I don’t mind, but if I was older, busier or it got too much then I would have to have a conversation with them and step back.

icanhandthemback Sat 05-Sep-20 12:11:29

It could also be that a lot of grandparents are martyrs. They have their grandchildren and then moan like heck! grin Or, they took the job on and then found they didn't like it as much as they thought they would. Personally, I think there is too much pressure for both parents to work with childcare being so expensive and that makes it difficult for everybody involved. The one thing I've seen in lockdown (amongst all the doom and gloom about mental health) is that for a lot of parent, it has been the first time in a long time they have had time to spend a long period of quality time with their kids. I expect many wish they could do that all the time rather than sending them to grandparents.
I've looked after my grandson and there have been moments when I have felt 'used and abused' but that is normally when I have chosen to go with the flow rather than tackling any issues. It takes compromise and respect on both sides to make it work and if your children can't do that, you probably have to ask yourself why not.

LuckyFour Sat 05-Sep-20 12:13:59

I looked after my grandchildren while they were young. I babysat any time, collected them from school and gave them tea so that Mum could keep her job (not every day). I even reduced my hours at work to accommodate this. As they grew up I did less and at one point felt I had been just dropped with no explanation, and was very hurt by that. I'm just saying we should be careful not to become a doormat which gets carelessly thrown away when not required. We never fell out about it but I haven't forgotten.

Harris27 Sat 05-Sep-20 12:15:28

I wrk in childcare and see tired grandparents picking kids up on a Friday having them overnight so the parents can have some ‘ me time’ I’ve also got a friend with grandkids and she’s tired out desperately wanting a weekend to herself. I’m ok I’ve four grandkids and see them when it’s acceptable on both sides and don’t get Put on and I love my grandkids yes I do my bit but not overly!

Harris27 Sat 05-Sep-20 12:17:36

Lucky four I did the same with the first one dropped my hours to suit dil and then one day she packed her job in to Be a stay at home mum fourteen years later she’s still that! I was hurt and I didn’t forget that either. It took me two years back at my workplace to retrieve my hours I’d given up.

Jani31 Sat 05-Sep-20 12:19:18

My grandchildren live 50 and 140 miles away. I see them on Facetime so that they remember me. Last weekend we were altogether for an afternoon. It was wonderful x
My daughters in laws live nearby both. One set looks after GD on Monday and Tuesday, been a nightmare for DD for 5 months looking after her while M&D work from home.

nananet01 Sat 05-Sep-20 12:24:49

It depends on the adult child and how adult they are in dealing with 'No'.
If they are not adult enough then the Estrangement thread is where we end up.

twinnytwin Sat 05-Sep-20 12:43:09

We live in the same village as my DS and family. The 2 GCs (now 8 & 10) are dropped off at 7.45, we give them breakfast, walk them to school, collect and keep them until 6pm every school day. They have their main meal with their parents so no extra cooking for us. We've done this since they started school and never feel put upon. They never ask us to babysit (they like to do things as a family). I enjoy every minute I spend with my GCs, although others in the family can't understand it. They all lived with us for two years when the youngest GD was born so the bonds are very strong.
I believe the loving influence I can give to my GCs lives is the best gift I can give them.

Sugarpufffairy Sat 05-Sep-20 12:58:48

I am sure that DGC are often used to "blackmail" GPs into complying with baby/child minding requests. I have watched this go on for the whole time I have been a grandparent. I did all sorts of things like going out in the middle of the night ie. 2AM to babysit I have had DGC for several days while also dealing with elderly relatives. No matter what I tried to fit it all in and I did enjoy my time with all the grandchildren.
When a time came that I asked for help with something checking that it did not interfere with anyone's working time I was just ignored and left to deal with it myself. I dealt with it myself and learned that I was a capable person so the next request/demand/threat to have me do childminding was met with a NO I cant do that I am still not feeling well after the thing I had asked for help with and was left to do it alone.
I have not seen or heard from them since. I am doing fine. I am coping with all sorts of things now that I did not have time for before. I am not as stupid or as incapable as they told me I was.
It is sad that I don't see DGC