Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parents/Grandparents Held Hostage

(112 Posts)
ValerieF Fri 04-Sep-20 16:13:12

I see on this site, grandparents who love their grandchildren/children unconditionally and those who don't get to see their grandchildren, are estranged from their children...all of which hurt.

What about those who see TOO MUCH of their grandchildren; are expected to be there at their children's whim to look after grandchildren? Quite apart from what they envisaged retirement to be? The emotional threats?

How may actually resent being held hostage like this? How many people would love to just decide what they want without having to consider their families, once they are retired? Do they do it anyway? or do they feel guilty?

Not actually speaking from experience but know lots of elderly people who can't make arrangements because they have to see what their children/grandchildren are doing.

My thoughts are...you have done your lot! Now is YOUR time. Do what you want and help when you can but don't feel obliged. If your kids don't like it...then tough!

GagaJo Mon 07-Sep-20 20:37:51

My point is I wish I could be that perfect grandparent. The reason not is because I can't afford not to work.

I'd drop everything and be granny at beck and call if I could. He'll be little for 5 minutes and instead I'm in a different country. Time wasted.

fatgran57 Wed 09-Sep-20 05:20:59

GagaJo were you as devoted to your daughter - the mother of your grandson, when she was a baby?

I often wonder when reading about some grandparents almost obsessive interest in their grandchildren, were their parents the same with the grandchildren or is this interest and desire to spend so much time with grandchildren a new thing for our generation.

felice Wed 09-Sep-20 09:18:14

When I moved into the Granny flat when DGS was born a lot of my friends (not Grandparents) told me I would be 'used'.

Not the case, I chose to move here, it was only at the beginning of lockdown that DD started working outside the home.

She and I with SILs diary sit down at the beginning of each month and check dates DGS and I do a lot together and sometimes that conflicts with DDs dates so we work around it.
I had problems with SIL a couple of years after I moved here, not using me, but being jealous as his Mother died many years ago and he was upset that I was with DGS and she is not.
All sorted out now, he can still be difficult but that's just him and not aimed at me.
I still get remarks from non-grandparent friends but I put that down more to a touch of the green eyes when they see how much fun I have than anything else.

faye17 Sun 20-Sep-20 22:12:07

I know that feeling!
Before I became a grandmother myself I was often let down by a close friend who was at the back & call of her daughter's childcare requests.
I always felt it was too much for her as she had zero time to herself.
Now I am as doting a grandmother as you could meet and I have my little grandson 2 days a week while his parents work. I couldn't imagine life without having him now ( lockdown was very difficult) but when he goes home on the second day I sink my aching back into the bath, light my candles and look forward to the next 5 days.
It's hard work no matter how much you love them.
By day 4 I'm missing him and eager to have him back.
For me at 66 with some health issues 2 days are as much as I feel able to do & thankfully my son and his wife are delighted & hugely appreciative of how much I do.
Every family has it's own dynamic.
I think the most important thing is that children are getting good care & feel loved

faye17 Sun 20-Sep-20 22:14:00

Referring to post from Crimpdhalo theresmile

faye17 Sun 20-Sep-20 22:28:46

Cath
This is one huge positive I see coming from Covid... young parents now working from home are appreciating spending more time with the little ones and also realizing what they were missing when they had to be out at work all day 5 days a week

Fuchsiarose Mon 21-Sep-20 08:34:20

I agree with you..... my sister and I spent 7 years doing 24 hour care for under 5s. We did a laundry of piles of it all night. Dishes stacked in sink with food still on them. Cleaning.... you name it we did it. Now they have cleaners coming in twice a week.... thank God for that

GagaJo Mon 21-Sep-20 10:03:53

fatgran57

GagaJo were you as devoted to your daughter - the mother of your grandson, when she was a baby?

I often wonder when reading about some grandparents almost obsessive interest in their grandchildren, were their parents the same with the grandchildren or is this interest and desire to spend so much time with grandchildren a new thing for our generation.

It's not new at all. And it's not obsessive. My grandparents in the 1960s and 70s were just as devoted to me as I am to my grandson. They were wonderful and I have heart warming memories of them 45 years after my grandmother's death.

Just because you don't feel that way, don't try to paint those of us that do as abnormal.

Nana49 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:58:35

What op is describing is dysfunctional families. That's what those scenarios are. Too much expectation & demand on other caregivers to look after children & those who don't see them at all, two unhealthy extremes isn't it?

Redhead56 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:39:07

Valerie F you don't speak from experience but you do seem to be aware of this situation maybe people you know? I do know from experience the emotions you feel becoming a grand parent.
I worked with my husband and we retired with little plans for our retirement. I was helping with grandchildren twelve hour shifts day after day with sons mother in law. It was both rewarding and exhausting I did it for over two years.

When our third grandchild arrived I wanted to support and help our daughter when her husband worked away.
The arragements had to change it was quite an emotional time. But as a grandparent and a wife you need to get the balance right to insure everyone gets a bit of your time. Now I help with all grandchildren when I can but not on a strict timetable. I don't want a timetable to rule our life.

Namsnanny Fri 25-Sep-20 11:46:45

21.09 10.03 Gagajo ... thoroughly agree with your post.