Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you ever get over empty nest?

(55 Posts)
Candy6 Mon 07-Sep-20 13:43:44

Hi all, I have posted before on this subject and I’m sorry to be a pain but it’s a recurring one for me and I’d really like to know what others think on the subject.

I still struggle with empty nest. My son moved over 200 miles away 13 months ago and I still feel bereft when he goes back (which he’s doing later today). I’ve found it difficult to get my life together now both my kids have moved out. Truth is, I loved being a mum and everything that goes with it. I’m truly at my happiest when we’re all together and then feel lost when they leave. My husband and I get on great and are trying to prepare for when my husband retires. I should add that I’ve been through an awful lot with my sons health and had to give up any aspirations of a career to support him. I’m also having counselling which helps a little. Of course, I’m so proud of what he’s become and happy that he’s finally living his dream and definitely don’t want it to end for him but it just hurts so much! Can anyone else relate or is it just me?

Hawera1 Wed 09-Sep-20 23:47:34

It's a huge adjustment. Some people just breeze through.It and love the freedom. Others like me feel.it very deeply. I now have three little dogs and they are my babies.

Pittcity Thu 10-Sep-20 08:03:10

I think this say it all.

LadyBella Thu 10-Sep-20 21:36:52

Neilspurgeon0 are you a man by any chance? I know a lot of men who feel like you do.

Sparkling Sat 12-Sep-20 05:26:25

My darling husband was alive, within weeks of both my children leaving, we were happy doing things together, just like when we first met. My kids were with partners, working so I felt good about it. It must be so much harder I would imagine when you are on your own, different altogether and lockdown has made it a 100 times worse. When things go back to the new normal, you will be able to join groups that interest you and expand your social circle. Life will definitely get better for you, just keep going for now,I know how lockdown affected me, on my own now, I would give anything to have the support of my husband and everything is topsy turvey but it is how it us and everything passes. ?