Gransnet forums

AIBU

Panic buying again!

(138 Posts)
Teacheranne Mon 21-Sep-20 12:34:54

I was horrified to read in the papers today that people are rushing out to stockpile food again - and toilet paper! It was very stressful at last March trying to buy essential food items and I was hoping people would be more sensible and not panic at the thought of stricter restrictions over the winter.

I really hope this is not true and is just the tabloids stirring things up. I also heard that slots for online deliveries are also being snapped up, which makes me even more stressed.

I am not physically able to walk far so find grocery shopping difficult yet not being in the vulnerable category, I lost access to online deliveries. I switched to click and collect, staying up until the early hours to snaffle a newly released slot and really don't want to do that again!

I think I need to go and have a lie down! At least I think I have enough toilet rolls at the moment, after getting down to my last one and having to beg one off a friend, I made sure that I always have an unopened pack of nine in my house!

BlueBelle Mon 21-Sep-20 14:49:04

O my word what is wrong with people what a load of tosh why are people such sheep

AGAA4 Mon 21-Sep-20 15:03:22

What is it about toilet paper that people rush to stock up on first?
Are some filling all the delivery slots and then off to the pub, leaving those who really need them struggling?
It wouldn't surprise me.

Calendargirl Mon 21-Sep-20 15:07:23

If people are panic buying, then the supermarkets need to put limits on popular items sooner rather than later.
If that had happened back in the spring, there wouldn’t have been the shortages.

Jaxjacky Mon 21-Sep-20 16:05:58

I still don’t get the toilet paper either AGAA4. I shall carry on with my normal delivery/click and collect as I’ve done for the past two years, using farm shop for veg.

ElaineI Mon 21-Sep-20 16:54:48

Was in Costco earlier and lots of people were stocking up loo rolls and flour again!

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Sep-20 16:57:11

Oh for Pete's sake. angry

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:12:08

This makes me both sad and cross. I feel sad for those who cant afford to bulk buy. I think we all remember the awful picture of the elderly gentleman looking so sad in the supermarket.
I feel angry at how the government release statements a days in advance. The media pick up on it and whip everyone into a frenzy with often pointless speculation. At the weekend I saw a tabloid headline about panic buying and thought if people weren't they soon would be.
A lot of drama about today's announcement which basically told us what we already know. Infections are getting worse,follow the rules.
Now we have to wait for Johnsons announcement which will probably be very dramatic and maybe nothing we hadn't seen coming.
Meanwhile people have days to panic buy and for those inclined indulge in a social frenzy whilst they can.
I have a supermarket delivery booked for this week and one for the beginning of October. Long life items are already out of stock. At least they only seem to be releasing slots week by week.
I would love it if I thought those slots were being used by those who genuinely needed them. Sadly I have a nasty feeling a lot of them are grabbed by people who dont need them but do it because they can,like the flour incident above.
Iceland are very good,cheaper than most supermarkets. They havent got as extensive a range but you will get the basics you need.

PinkCakes Mon 21-Sep-20 18:03:56

I read that some morons are even buying frozen turkeys, in case they're unable to get them for Christmas!

merlotgran Mon 21-Sep-20 18:12:39

I read that as well, PinkCakes

The only things I might be tempted to buy early will be a gluten free Christmas Pudding and some mince pies.

When all the hot cross buns were gone at Easter the greedy blighters snaffled up all the gf ones so I might not risk leaving gf Christmas goodies till the last minute like I usually do.

annodomini Mon 21-Sep-20 18:58:24

In Waitrose this afternoon, the loo roll shelves looked considerably depleted - though not by me. I still have some of my last consignment from you-know-who left. Tinned goods also seemed to have been in demand.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Sep-20 19:51:44

AGAA4

What is it about toilet paper that people rush to stock up on first?
Are some filling all the delivery slots and then off to the pub, leaving those who really need them struggling?
It wouldn't surprise me.

I believe that the loo roll stuff started in Australia.
A rumour went around that loo roll factories were going to be repurposed as to produce masks.
Obviously, this never happened but it still has repercussions apparently.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 21-Sep-20 20:39:49

Nah I think it’s the British anal tendencies grin

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Sep-20 21:27:18

Ha ha! Nice one!

lemongrove Mon 21-Sep-20 21:29:11

There are certainly anal tendencies on GN....all those recent threads on bowels.?

lemongrove Mon 21-Sep-20 21:29:56

Hope baking supplies won’t dry up.....the family rely on me now for cakes.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 22:23:20

I ordered kitchen rolls last week but Waitrose failed to deliver them last Friday.

However, I see they charged me for them! They also had another, more expensive item unavailable - but they still charged me for it!

Do check your bills when online shopping

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 22:26:19

I think we all remember the awful picture of the elderly gentleman looking so sad in the supermarket.

Dorsetcupcake And the nurse who came off shift nursing COVID patients to find the shelves had been cleared and she could buy nothing for her dinner.

JenniferEccles Mon 21-Sep-20 22:36:12

Surely shops should be prepared this time and make sure that limits are in place.

Of course that won’t stop the determined and selfish individuals from going from shop to shop.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 22:38:09

Yes, they really should be a limit on the amount people can buy.

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Sep-20 22:41:55

Shops need to be proactive and limit the number of certain items per customer. You're right *JenniferEccles" you can't stop "selfish individuals from going from shop to shop" but steps can and should be taken to mitigate this idiotic and totally selfish behaviour.

Mapleleaf Mon 21-Sep-20 22:42:51

What's wrong with people? Utterly stupid and utterly selfish. I hope shops take the lead if it's the case and ration people. There's no need to stockpile like that.

growstuff Mon 21-Sep-20 22:46:36

I've done all my grocery shopping since April from Tesco Online (apart from meat, fruit/veg and fish, which I buy from local suppliers).

I have a subscription, so it's no problem, but I have noticed that certain items are now limited, so maybe they have learnt their lesson.

merlotgran Mon 21-Sep-20 23:27:47

Callistemon

Yes, they really should be a limit on the amount people can buy.

Maybe they'll go back to the restrictions of no more than two of each item (Sainsbury's) and a limit on items at the checkout (Tesco)

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 23:31:28

Tesco tell me when I've reached a limit on items ie 'offer complete' even if it's not a special offer.

Teacheranne Tue 22-Sep-20 00:31:29

FannyCornforth

I urge everyone to sign up to as many shops that offer delivery as possible.
Also get a milkman. Milk and More were accepting new customers recently.
I see that Morrisons are advertising their food boxes again, which is very ominous.

That's a bit selfish if people are able to get to the shops themselves, my point is that some people, like me, who rely on online shopping are going to get squeezed out again.